Surround for Forte II (Heresy II ?)

Igor

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I managed to get a pair of Forte II recently and looking for a matching pair for surround home theater (movies is the priority).

I have a chance to get a pair of Heresy for a decent price. I know that only tweeters are the same and other stuff is different. What do you guys think about this combo?

Thanks for the advice.

I'll answer my own question.  According to the spec sheets, it is the midrange, the K53K, that is the same in the Heresy II and the Forte I However, the Forte II and Heresy II don't have a speaker in common. That's O.K., though.  They will still be a good match, especially if you crossover to a subwoofer.

Do you have a good subwoofer?  One is pretty important for home theater.  If you do have one, and cross it over at the typical 80 Hz, the deep bass, or the lack of it, in the Heresy II won't be a problem, if you set the Heresy IIs to "small," in your AVR (if you have one).  Although it took a couple of years to convince me of this, the best setting for all speakers is "small," even the Forte.  "Small," and "Large" have nothing to do with actual size; they are misnomers.  The best relationship between main speakers and subwoofer is usually achieved with the main speakers on "Small."  When I'm running a sub, I have my Klipschorns on "Small," even though they are 52" high and 31" wide.  I can't tell you how reluctant I was to do that, but prolonged listening comparisons established that the sound was best that way.  Using "small" will result in any phase problems probably being reduced, and the bass is likely to have greater resolution.  The woofers in the Forte IIs and Heresy IIs will still be functioning, but rolled off at 12 dB pr octave below 80 Hz or so.  There is mid-bass and high bass from about 80 to about 250 Hz will still come out of the main speakers, with some overlap.

• Moderators

Welcome   Igor, your off to a great start, if you happen to "run across" another Forte ll later try to get it. All Forte's across the front works very well.

When I started this my plan was Heresy's all the way around, but then like you, some Forte ll's came up for sale so I started with them and overtime found enough to use all Forte's and have to say it sounds great to me.

45 minutes ago, garyrc said:

Do you have a good subwoofer?  One is pretty important for home theater.  If you do have one, and cross it over at the typical 80 Hz, the deep bass, or the lack of it, in the Heresy II won't be a problem, if you set the Heresy IIs to "small," in your AVR (if you have one).  Although it took a couple of years to convince me of this, the best setting for all speakers is "small," even the Forte.  "Small," and "Large" have nothing to do with actual size; they are misnomers.  The best relationship between main speakers and subwoofer is usually achieved with the main speakers on "Small."  When I'm running a sub, I have my Klipschorns on "Small," even though they are 52" high and 31" wide.  I can't tell you how reluctant I was to do that, but prolonged listening comparisons established that the sound was best that way.  Using "small" will result in any phase problems probably being reduced, and the bass is likely to have greater resolution.  The woofers in the Forte IIs and Heresy IIs will still be functioning, but rolled off at 12 dB pr octave below 80 Hz or so.  There is mid-bass and high bass from about 80 to about 250 Hz will still come out of the main speakers, with some overlap.

100%  ^^^^

I did the same thing, after many people were trying to get me to set them Small I didn't want to. I started listening both ways and was quite surprised that it did sound better, not surprisingly everyone was correct as to what was better. :emotion-21:

To me it was overall better, it makes the load on the receiver easier which helped but the big difference was the bass and midbass, it was much cleaner and just overall better. After trying both ways a few times it became clear which was better, I think like many people I got hung up on the words, small or large more than anything ? 

Set to small and crossed at 80 seems to work best for me.

On 8/20/2018 at 5:15 AM, Igor said:

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I managed to get a pair of Forte II recently and looking for a matching pair for surround home theater (movies is the priority).

I have a chance to get a pair of Heresy for a decent price. I know that only tweeters are the same and other stuff is different. What do you guys think about this combo?

Thanks for the advice.

Look for a pair or two of the Quartet.  Closest match INMHO

Regards,

John

Thanks for replies!

Yeah, Forte II and Heresy II have no speakers in common. Here is the difference between tweeters: 

I don't have a sub yet, but I'm willing to buy one. Not sure about the model yet...

As for the Academy. I want to buy one for center channel for sure but did not think about rears to be Academy. This is a really good idea! However, they are hard to find...

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Igor said:

As for the Academy. I want to buy one for center channel for sure but did not think about rears to be Academy. This is a really good idea! However, they are hard to find...

That was the problem I ran into, plus an Academy cost as much or more than a pair of F ll's at the time, don't know current prices. 

• Moderators

They must have come down alot over the years, it's a good size speaker I was surprised when I seen one in person. If someone is willing to ship or even better close enough to go get it would be a good match.

There was another model that was close, it was the KLF-C7 .  I was told it sounded slightly better and may pop up in your area ?  C-7 is the bottom and it does "look" like a better speaker to me. But I have not heard them both

'

This was M Colters speakers in 07

7pilgrimage_07_(78).jpg

I have Chorus ii and have a Academy that I need to try with them.  I had a C-7 which was a great center but sold it long time ago.  There is a C-7 on EBay asking price $500 so that is a bit high to me.  You can put in what you are willing to pay and if the auction ends with no buyer the seller may sell the C-7 to you at your asking price.

I am thinking about buying a midrange and tweeter of E Bay for the Chorus ii and talking to some Forums members on the Klipsch Tech section for advice on how to build a center channel speaker and crossover to match the Chorus ii. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jbsl said:

I am thinking about buying a midrange and tweeter of E Bay for the Chorus ii and talking to some Forums members on the Klipsch Tech section for advice on how to build a center channel speaker and crossover to match the Chorus ii. 

That would make a great center for the Chorus ll, perfect match. 

20 hours ago, dtel said:

That would make a great center for the Chorus ll, perfect match. 

I have not tried the Academy with the Chorus ii yet.  The academy may work fine may not.  If not then start planning a fall project.  

• Moderators

But really you idea would be a better match, a perfect match, same mid and tweeter, the bass is not as important, it does not have to keep up with the mains at all. 

The only tricky part would be what bass driver to use in what size cabinet and a crossover to match that bass. The top 2 horns could use the standard Chorus ll crossover design.

I'm sure somebody here could help you figure the rest out.

The whole thing may cost less than an Academy and be a perfect match. I don't know but I like the idea.

I've got Heresy II this weekend and they sound good with my Forte II.

Now it is time for sub! Any recommendations?

I found a couple of SW12 and SW15 on the market (not r-xxxSW series, but those from 90's)

Not sure if they are great the right choice - a lot of power, but seems pretty high "lows".

Should I consider r-112sw / r-115sw?