How much difference would an amp make?

SteveL

Glad you like the Marantz.  They make good equipment though careful on first blush.  See how it works with living with it for a while. 

Since you are happy with the feature set (which may be the the key) you should be good.  Hard to top the Pioneer as far as amplifier finesse in that price range though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveL said:

I got it hooked up and ran through the Audyssey setup and did a little tweaking but nothing in depth yet. So far I'm am very impressed

12 hours ago, SteveL said:

I don't think I'll be needing that amp any time soon.

Fwiw, one of the reasons I started the Audyssey setting thread was because when folks posted their negative trim levels it would show they wouldn't benefit from an external amp. Back in the day I also found it strange people were purchasing external amps, running Audyssey and then getting numbers beyond what the EQ program could handle. Then the advise by some was to purchase extenuators (I think that's what they are called) to help draw down the current from the amp. 🤔  I dunno but always thought posting Main Volume levels after running Audyssey would give a good Benchmark on how loud people listen. It also could signal when folks speakers/systems start  to fail due to power or capability. IOW, RF-7s systems began to get bright when their impedance dropped and the power source couldn't provide the current.

Anyway, congratulations and enjoy your Klipsch Home Theater. :) 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

. It also could signal when folks speakers/systems start  to fail due to power or capability. IOW, RF-7s systems began to get bright when their impedance dropped and the power source couldn't provide the current.

Anyway, congratulations and enjoy your Klipsch Home Theater. :) 

Hardening of the sound when loud and if not enough current (particularly when using multi-woofered speakers) that provide inadequate bass drive.  The speakers will then tend to sound bright as Zen Traveler stated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

Hardening of the sound when loud and if not enough current (particularly when using multi-woofered speakers) that provide inadequate bass drive.  The speakers will then tend to sound bright as Zen Traveler stated.

I see where this might be a problem. I've had my Klipsch speakers for a solid 10 years now and now that I'm able to play with individual crossover settings I'm hearing more bass out of them now than ever before. I'm experimenting with lowering the crossover settings based on each speaker's frequency response. I currently have my mains at 40 Hz but I'm also aware that will use quite a bit more power to push them that low. I haven't been able to hear any issues yet, and IMO they sound better than I've ever heard them before. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Then the advise by some was to purchase extenuators (I think that's what they are called) to help draw down the current from the amp.🤔

Attenuators. 

That's one way to do it.

If attenuators are used between all preamp outputs and all power amp inputs only while Audyssey calibration is being done, they can be taken off after Audyssey does its thing.  In my case, with Khorns and a Belle Klipsch as front speakers, I arbitrarily used 12 dB attenuators during calibration, then took them off.  As Chris K. of Audyssey pointed out, Reference Level for me would now be -12 on the main volume, rather than 0.  So, my average playback level for movies is -17 dB, that figure may mislead, unless I add that it is 5 dB below THX/Audyssey Reference Level. 

With less efficient speakers, as long as the Audyssey determined trim level (on the separate trims for each channel) is no lower than -11.5 dB, no attenuators are necessary.  Once the Audyssey trim hits -12 dB we don't know if Audyssey would go lower if it could, thus attenuators.🍄:wacko2:

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, garyrc said:

I'm not familiar with your subs.  Are they good?  Can you afford better?  That might be a place to spend money.  Two high quality, identical subs are best.  Of course if you are rolling in cash, let us know, and we'll come up with lots of ways to spend it.

I didn't realize when I initially posted, but the founder of Power Sound Audio is Tom Vodhanel and he was one of the original co-founders of SVS. I think it's safe to say he knows how how to build a sub.

• Like 1