Center channel rp250c vs 440c

pinopradino

Good morning, I’m setting up my 5.1 home theater system, composed by TV Sony 49XF9005, AVR Denon X4400H, frontal speakers klipsch cornwall 3 driven by Mcintosh ma2275, back speakers klipsch rp15m, sub klipsch r115sw. I only need now the center channel speaker, and I’m undecided for 2 klipsch models, the rp250c and the 440c. The distance between Tv and sofa is about 8 ft, with room large about 14 ft and ceiling 7 ft (in reality it’s a mezzanine of 10x14 ft in a larger room of 23x14 ft and ceiling 15.5 ft).
Which one of two center speakers you would add to my system?
Thank you!

• Like 1

Well, the 450c can not fit in the place I have for the center speaker (about the exact dimension of the 440c) that is the reason why I did not consider it. There is no opportunity to listen them here where I am, but I am a little confused now... :I

So the 440c is so bad for his price? 

I would pick a new place ha ha. 

I wouldn't say it’s bad. And at the end of the day, it probably doesn’t even matter when they’re not side by side. Comparing the two right next to each other, the 440 was a bit “thinner” sounding than I expected. This was also in a large showroom with probably 10-12’ from the speaker and listening position. 

Edited by BornAgain

Ahahah if I had money, I bought a bigger house, but I'm pretty sure that my wife had restricted my area to a little place like the one I now have.

I'm still not sure about what I have to buy. I've seen that are coming up the 600c and the 500c, both products seems really interesting, but I don't know when they will be available here in europe...

I would go with the rp250c.   I am not a fan of the 4" drivers even if there are 4 of them.  At 5" or more you have enough for any room imo.  Even the 4s are good but imo 4 4s in the 440c is not better than the 2 5s in the rp250c.

The 250c is excellent and will do the job just fine.  If having the largest center was all that mattered I'd have 4 18s and an 18" horn in my center lol.  But I don't and neither does anybody else.    

• 4 weeks later...

I think the 440c and the 450c with 4 woofers do have an advantage over the Centers with 2 woofers.

In the 440c and 450c two woofers are used up to 500Hz and 2 other woofers are used for 500Hz till 1500Hz, which reduces Frequency Modulation distortion compared to the 250c which uses two woofers that handle lowest frequency up to 1800Hz.

Edited by JefDC