Under carpet speaker cable installation

baszha

Does anyone have any advice installing speaker cables under a new carpet installation. Mainly for two surrounds and two subs. I was going to trim the new padding just slightly away from the cables then lay the new carpet over it. I don't want any gaps to show or indentations in the carpet when done

1 hour ago, baszha said:

Does anyone have any advice installing speaker cables under a new carpet installation. Mainly for two surrounds and two subs. I was going to trim the new padding just slightly away from the cables then lay the new carpet over it. I don't want any gaps to show or indentations in the carpet when done

No need to channel the padding for the cables. Hard metal wires are not subject to breakage UNDER the carpet in my experience. I even have cables (power and signals) in my very excellent non Klipsch car stereo.

John Kuthe...

If possible and the carpet hasn't been installed yet, after you pull the old carpet run you cable under the baseboards, or between the baseboard and the tack strip. You will likely have to remove the baseboard, but if you're careful you should be able to take it off without damaging your wall paint. Once the baseboard is off, you should be able to see the studs, or might have to cut a bit of the drywall at the bottom. Then you can drill/cut an opening to run your wire up the wall if necessary. I just had new carpet installed, and also had a run across a section of doorway opening where the floor transitioned to wood. the installer tucked that part of the cable along the edge of the pad. Good luck!

p.s. it would pay to put in a wall plate like this (they come in single, double, etc.) in the general area where you want to place the surrounds/sub. Then you can make a small run from the plate after your carpet is installed.

wall plate.JPG

Edited by Sam S.
add content
  • Like 1