College football 2018

jimjimbo

On 9/9/2018 at 8:21 PM, wvu80 said:
On 9/9/2018 at 8:11 PM, DizRotus said:

My older son articulated an interesting reason for his preference for the college game.  In college, only a few players have NFL quality talent, which leads to big plays, such as long kick returns.

That sounds like a good analysis.

That's why the top college teams will typically score 40 points a game and in the pros I would guess the top teams average closer to 28 ppg.

I bet that's what explains why so many college Heisman quarterbacks are mediocre (or worse) when they get to the pros.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2018 at 11:45 PM, oldtimer said:

Michigan has a better music school than Ohio State.  No ifs ands or buts.  Neither are on a par with UNT or Berklee school of music, or several others for that matter. 

Different animals as well.  Michigan runs its marching band as a living classroom for music majors so you have woodwinds, clarinet, sax, flutes.  They also have a very modern drum line drum corps style.  Very precise stick height, 6 tuned bass drums and they play super clean in the snare section

Ohio State is all brass which means they have a monster sound, the kind of sound you need to project when playing to 100,000 people.  That same tradition keeps them from having a modern drum line although those boys can play!  They use those snare drums above waist level which is showy for high leg marching but is very clunky to play. 

The bass drums accent 2&4 which is the way Sousa used to write it.  Not exactly percussive state of the art.  (I saw the bass line on TV last night.  They now use 5 tuned bass drums like everybody else.  That's progress!)  I'd like to see Ohio State update those black and white uniforms, spats and bus driver hats, but in their defense if they tried to change that the band director would be run out of town on a rail!

Both schools have a lot of drum corps experienced members and both are very talented both in both woodwinds/brasswinds and percussion. Both have very good playing bands.  I love the huge sound of the Ohio State horn line, but for overall sound, more modern percussion and modern arrangements the nod goes to the Wolverines.

• Like 3

If TCU can beat Ohio State it might vault them from 15th into the top ten.   They would certainly jump #14 WVU who was idle today due to the hurricane and Oklahoma didn't look good today.  The poll voters might want to position TCU for a run to the final four if they can run the table.

If TCU hadn't missed a FG and then fumbled into their own endzone for a Buckeyes TD they would be leading this puppy having held the OSU offense to a single FG in the first quarter.

• Like 1

I've been flipping over to the TCU/Ohio A&M game several times between Alabama touchdowns (which allowed for a lot of flipping) and wondered how Ohio A&M got ranked #4. TCU appears to be giving Ohio A&M a run for the money, being ranked so low.

Alabama 49 Ole Miss 7 at the half btw.

Keith

How about them Hogs? Lol. Man, they suck. I may have been born and raised here but lived away for 20 years. They have never been my favorite team in no way shape or form. How can anyone be such a huge fan of a team that's almost always in a "rebuilding phase"? It's just always been so sad to watch them that I rarely do and I don't really care that my daughter is in college there, either. Lol. And my mother in law is a huge hog fan so it's always fun to point out how crappy they are. Ha.

At least my other two red teams typically win; Alabama and Oklahoma. 

And how about that punt return that UNT did on the hogs today where they thought he signaled a fair catch. I've had to laugh every time I see it. 

• Like 2