College football 2018

jimjimbo

4 hours ago, EmilC said:

Was that your 1st D1 college game?   Over 100K in the Big House. A thrill no doubt.

Don't get that kind of crowd in the NFL

No, I am an OSU alumni.    That was some time ago, and it is always nice to see a Big Ten game.  My kids also went to IU and Purdue where they had parents weekend on a football Saturday.  I'm not a fan of pro football so, this is my favorite time of year for sports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Nebraska vs Michigan game in Ann Arbor on Saturday should be interesting.  Wolverines are currently 18 point favorites, and should defeat the Cornhuskers.  But, as Lee Corso says, “not so fast.”  The Huskers will be motivated to not fall to 0-3 under first year coach Scott Frost.  Two historically strong programs led by alumnus former QBs.  Nebraska hasn’t been O-2 since 1957.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The Nebraska vs Michigan game in Ann Arbor on Saturday should be interesting.  Wolverines are currently 18 point favorites, and should defeat the Cornhuskers.  But, as Lee Corso says, “not so fast.”  The Huskers will be motivated to not fall to 0-3 under first year coach Scott Frost.  Two historically strong programs led by alumnus former QBs.  Nebraska hasn’t been O-2 since 1957.

Nebraska's starting QB, Adrian Martinez, didn't play against Troy last weekend and is iffy for this weekend. He needs to play  if Nebraska has any chance. If he's not 100%, they may just keep him out and worry about the rest of the season.

Penn State begins Big10s friday nights lineup against Illinois. Minnesota plays Indiana on Oct 26.

Keep the games on Saturdays IMHO

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I think Urban Meyer is going to be gone.  The blow back was way underestimated.  

In his ESPN interview he is just floundering.  

And not one NCAA sanction or fine levied upon Ohio State.

They must have used up their allotment on Penn State.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I think Urban Meyer is going to be gone.  The blow back was way underestimated.  

In his ESPN interview he is just floundering.  

2 hours ago, EmilC said:

And not one NCAA sanction or fine levied upon Ohio State.

They must have used up their allotment on Penn State.

@dwilawyerUrban just signed a contract extension and it would cost OSU millions to fire him.  Blow back is just that and ESPN went in to crucify in any way possible during the interview.  Their guns were loaded.  Urban found that out two minutes into the interview.  Lie?   I honestly don't know...  OSU has tons going on already w/the Jim Jordan/sports Doc wrestling scandal and now accusations against a diving coach by a couple former female athletes.  Football is B1G $$$ EVERYwhere not just OSU so I don't think he's going anywhere unless he decides to walk.  Could be wrong though.  Just my take.

@EmilCPerhaps the NCAA didn't have any reason to fine/sanction Ohio State?  Were there some I don't know about?  i won't go into my thoughts on Penn State's laundry list.  That was proven in court.  Additionally, you won't tell me how much $$$ went into getting the sanctions removed after JoePa passed.  If it were me, they'd STILL be under sanctions.  AGAIN my thoughts, which aren't debatable here or elsewhere.  Slip to Hope next year for my story on that!  Ha!  I'm such a tease at times!  :)

54 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

@dwilawyerUrban just signed a contract extension and it would cost OSU millions to fire him.  Blow back is just that and ESPN went in to crucify in any way possible during the interview.  Their guns were loaded.  Urban found that out two minutes into the interview.  Lie?   I honestly don't know...  OSU has tons going on already w/the Jim Jordan/sports Doc wrestling scandal and now accusations against a diving coach by a couple former female athletes.  Football is B1G $$$ EVERYwhere not just OSU so I don't think he's going anywhere unless he decides to walk.  Could be wrong though.  Just my take.

@EmilCPerhaps the NCAA didn't have any reason to fine/sanction Ohio State?  Were there some I don't know about?  i won't go into my thoughts on Penn State's laundry list.  That was proven in court.  Additionally, you won't tell me how much $$$ went into getting the sanctions removed after JoePa passed.  If it were me, they'd STILL be under sanctions.  AGAIN my thoughts, which aren't debatable here or elsewhere.  Slip to Hope next year for my story on that!  Ha!  I'm such a tease at times!  :)

You may be correct, Dave. I just followed the Urban case scanning headlines and hearsay. No doubt no different than how you and many others followed the PSU case.

Loving how OSU fans are complaining that ESPN is  fake news in all of this but took everything ESPN reported on PSU as gospel

In case anyone missed it, there never was a rape or anything sexual that occured in the shower ( the boy, now a man, gave testimony) and those that were involved had all major  charges dropped except for child endangerment charges and given 30 days in jail to satisfy the mobs blood lust.

Hardley hard time for these conspirators.

If they were guilty of anything it was for mishandling the situation.

The lack of attention given to the 2nd Mile in all of this is puzzling

NCAA knows it overstepped its boundries on this. This was a police matter. Just like what happened at MSU and Ohio State

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Blow back as in the Trustees felt that there would be a consensus that a 3 game suspension, 6 week loss of pay would be considered a stiff penalty within the University, as well as outside, and it hasn't turned out that way.

OSU is a top research university, meaning they, like all research universities, get about 90% of their research budget from the US Govt.  That comes with strings, which includes compliance with Title 7 and 9. 

What do they gross from football, 90, a 100 million, probably net about $50 million?  

They probably get close to a Billion a year in US Govt research grants.  Now that's big business and they will happily pay off Meyer to avoid risking that real cash cow if it came down to that.  But they may not have to pay him off depending on how his morals clause is worded.  

He said he disagreed with the report, that's going to cause him problems.  The Trustees knew they were going to take heat, thought they were doing him a favor, and then get that tossed back in their faces.  

You think Urban really thought he was going to be asked softball questions by "the reporter" and woke up two minutes into the interview?  You know who did the interview right?  He knew exactly what he was walking into, he just was maybe too naive or arrogant to know that he is in a different arena than what he is used to and he came off totally lacking in credibility.

Switches to 3rd person when he discusses his values and DV, and says DV is at his forefront.  That was looked practiced and scripted and, if so, he should fire whomever helped him with that.  

It got to point that as his credibility began to sink rapidly I began to really real sorry for him.  It seemed clear to me that he knew that he was hanging by a thread, knew he had come very close to being fired, and his performance was suffering for it.

I think the weather vane on this can be measured by the number of questions he will be asked about the report, ESPN interview during press conferences post-game.  Hopefully, he will say "no comment" and not give any more interviews.

• Like 1

@dwilawyer I agree with all of that.  It could happen but would cause an uproar in more places than Cbus.  ESPN has always been after ANYone @ OSU.   It'll sort!  BTW, they only lost one on the board of trustees...  The head of Batelle, which is the research part of the Uni...  So all of what you said could happen but not much so far.  You're not gonna send me a bill for time typing all that are ya?  lolol  :)

• Like 1

@EmilC The fat lady isn't even warming up yet and I don't jump EVER!  Lotsa  ballin left.  Haskins and Martel ARE the real deal @ QB though as are the receivers.  Two proven backs, a HUGE offensive line.  Zone 6 play will HAVE to improve though.  I'm happy with Joe Burrow's transfer to LSU too.  He's a great kid and has already shown he can go out there and take control.  That's him.  I DO believe the SEC is the weaker of those "two big" conferences this year.  If you look at all those SEC "powerhouse" schedules though ya have to snicker.  They'll step up when it's time.  Urban could be gone after this year.  Then who?  Ryan Day?  Someone else?  I just feel as though ESPN is trying to control college football.   Thing is...  On any given day.  😎

OSU's defense is very inexperienced behind that very good defensive line. They’re learning fast and we’re good enough to overcome TCU's hyper speed offense. Their offensive line is showing signs of being a big surprise, in a good way. We'll see how they turn out. Really too soon to tell. 

Bama, Georgia, and Clemson are the real deal. OSU needs to really up their game to compete with them.

Cincy

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

@dwilawyer I agree with all of that.  It could happen but would cause an uproar in more places than Cbus.  ESPN has always been after ANYone @ OSU.   It'll sort!  BTW, they only lost one on the board of trustees...  The head of Batelle, which is the research part of the Uni...  So all of what you said could happen but not much so far.  You're not gonna send me a bill for time typing all that are ya?  lolol  :)

No bill.

It was just interesting to me to see Urban in a situation needing serious crisis management (which is part of what I do) sinking so badly in the interview.

I'm not familiar with the way OSU coaches get treated by ESPN, but I have seen it with some other universities. 

• Like 1

An OSU player went back to his apartment after the game  and sat on the poarch.  A TCU grad came up on his porch.  How did the OSU player get the TCU grad off the porch?  Paid him for the pizza, he, he.

That same weekend the OSU player met a guy from MSU and ask him how do you spell Mississippi.  The MSU guy ask, the state or the river.......

Image result for Mississippi state funny gif

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1