College football 2018

jimjimbo

4th down and 5 with a minute left trailing by 1 point?

McSorely rushed for more yards than all the RBs combined.

How about a run/pass option and let our best payer that night win the game for us?

Franklin: I'm going to outcoach Urban on this play :^)

5 minutes ago, RT FAN said:

Here is my prediction for the rest of the college football season, the playoffs will be screwed up again and 1 or more undefeated teams will get shut out of them. Time to expand to 8 teams.

You could have posted that 10 years ago, and it would still be true, every year.....

• Like 2

that's one of the things that pisses me off the most about college athletics - that D1 FB is - as far as I know - the ONLY division of any NCAA sport that doesn't have a full fledged playoff.

look at the lower division of football, baseball, basketball, hockey - you name it.  they all have a full blown playoff.  EXCEPT FOR D-1 football.

and IDK what the solution is, but surely it is better than the current.  /rant off (I think)

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, -js- said:

that's one of the things that pisses me off the most about college athletics - that D1 FB is - as far as I know - the ONLY division of any NCAA sport that doesn't have a full fledged playoff.

look at the lower division of football, baseball, basketball, hockey - you name it.  they all have a full blown playoff.  EXCEPT FOR D-1 football.

and IDK what the solution is, but surely it is better than the current.  /rant off (I think)

It's money/bowl game driven.  If the NCAA thought they could make more money with an expanded playoff, they'd do it.  They're more concerned with the financial ramifications that the competitiveness of the games.  It's always been money first, everything else, including students, second.

• Like 2

A larger playoff bracket would be tough. Football players only have so many games they can play in, injuries would definitely go up. That's why baseball has a 162 game season, basketball 82 games, and football 16 games. A football player will get more injuries in 16 games than baseball will in 10x that amount.

• Like 2

oh I fully acknowledge that would likely mean more games.  and I don't know the answer.  a quick answer, probably VERY unpopular with presidents etc, would be to add playoff games at the expense of reg season games.  but that cuts into home team revenue.  I get that.  IDK.  no easy answer -> this seems apparent.  had there been an easy fix - this talk would be moot, it would have already been put in use.

25 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

A larger playoff bracket would be tough. Football players only have so many games they can play in, injuries would definitely go up. That's why baseball has a 162 game season, basketball 82 games, and football 16 games. A football player will get more injuries in 16 games than baseball will in 10x that amount.

I thought that all other schools other than D1 schools have a football play off.  How do they do it?

I like seeing a lot of schools go bowling.  Teams have a whole season to make a statement.  Teams can join another conference to be able to play the more competitive schools.  Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers  all join the Big 14......Oh,  I mean Big 10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2018 at 11:00 AM, RT FAN said:

Here is my prediction for the rest of the college football season, the playoffs will be screwed up again and

1 or more undefeated teams will get shut out of them. Time to expand to 8 teams.

Similar, even if the Big 12 Champ goes undefeated I think they will get shut out of the playoffs.  At the moment their flag bearers are #6 Oklahoma and #8 WVU.  There are too many good teams ahead of them.

Sidenote@jimjimbo I read an ESPN opinion piece that said only 9 teams have a chance to win the national championship.  Interestingly enough WVU was NOT one of them, but Michigan was.

Ohio high school teams have playoffs every year but they are restricted to their conferences which are rated by how many students are in the school. So if you have 10 conferences you have 10 champions. But I'm really not totally positive about this.

JJK

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Sidenote@jimjimbo I read an ESPN opinion piece that said only 9 teams have a chance to win the national championship.  Interestingly enough WVU was NOT one of them, but Michigan was.

Yea, but only if they beat Penn State 72-3, Wisconsin 64-19, MSU (who cares), and Ohio 99-1.

• Haha 2