College football 2018

jimjimbo

My day started at 4am.  Alumni band 400 strong practiced at 8am for a noon start.  This is October and it was close to 90 today!  Still, a glorious day for big time college football.  What I Got Today was a nice sunburn. 

WVU won as expected but this was my first time seeing live Heisman candidate QB Will Grier.  I watched him in practice since the band was on the field pre-game.  Man can he ever spin the ball!

Today he went for a pedestrian 300+ passing yards, 4 TD's and 3 picks, all in or near the WVU endzone.  The 38-22 WVU win could easily have been an 59 point outburst.  Kansas effectively was held to 14 point during the game.  They got a TD with no time left in the 4th and a two-point conversion for their last points, literally after the game was over.

I have to say I did not find Grier all that impressive despite the big numbers.  He occasionally threw behind open receivers and his picks were by Kansas linebackers from the 2 yard line, so no tipped balls not his fault.

The big plus for Grier is his potential looks enormous.  If he can ditch the INT's and find open receivers he will put up really big numbers, and that would be deserving of some post-season awards.  Heisman?  Not yet until he can put up the big numbers AND beat a big name opponent.  All he can do now is lead his team to some style points against inferior opponents.

Texas did not do WVU any good in the national championship race by beating Oklahoma today.  From here on in the Mountaineers can still beat some good teams but no top ten teams to help them leapfrog other national contenders.  If WVU wins out I'm afraid the best the Big 12 Champ will get is 5th, on the outside looking in while further fueling the debate to have the playoffs extended to 8 teams.

WVU Homecoming 2018_00002.jpg

WVU Homecoming 2018_00003.jpg

WVU Homecoming 2018_00007.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Texas is in the same boat.  WVU will be its last ranked contender for the season.  See you soon... on our field!   

First of all, congrats to Texas on a great win!  The Longhorns have caught fire and are improving every week.

Do you think they would like to have gotten six more points in that first game loss to Maryland?

• Like 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

First of all, congrats to Texas on a great win!  The Longhorns have caught fire and are improving every week.

Do you think they would like to have gotten six more points in that first game loss to Maryland?

No doubt, but I'm not so sure that would be enough to change their standing in the conference.  BTW, I did not know that WVU is in the Big 12, too, until I just now looked.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

BTW, I did not know that WVU is in the Big 12, too, until I just now looked.

Andrew Luck's father Oliver Luck was a QB for WVU and was athletic director for the Mountaineers.  He pulled WVU from what was then a very strong Big East conference and got us in the Big 12.  I was not happy.  We lost all our traditional local rivals, Pitt, Penn State, Maryland, Va Tech and now our nearest conference game is 1500 miles away!  I didn't even know where any of those schools were located.  But turn the page.

WVU is considered a "national" brand and it got interest in the Big 12 up BIG TIME here on the east coast.  The Big 12 could now break into that previously untapped market.  The east coast fans are now following the Big 12 because of conference play with WVU.

WVU went from something like 8 million per year shared payout from the Big East conference to 20 million with the Big 12.  Follow the money.

Now I am really enjoying the Big 12 teams and I have so much more respect for both the teams, AND their fans.  Those Big 12 fans travel well and I have met quite a few when we collide during the homecoming games because they seat the enemy team fans right beside the WVU Alumni band. 

I know you can't bring yourself to not spit on the floor at the mention of the name "Oklahoma" but I really like the fans I've met from ALL the teams.

Now I'm a Big 12 Homer.  GO TEXAS!  (except when they play WVU)  B)

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I know you can't bring yourself to not spit on the floor at the mention of the name "Oklahoma" but I really like the fans I've met from ALL the teams.

My OU post was hyperbole.  I don't feel that kind of rivalry.  You and I are much alike in that we really value good-spirited sportsmanship.  I could sit in a room full of OU fans and enjoy a beer or two and have a lot of fun with them - especially if it was on their tab.

• Like 1

Not a bad day for OSU's Haskins...  455 yards and 6 TD's...  Why run outta the pocket when you can stand IN the pocket and throw strikes all day???  Last year after the Penn State win they rolled into Iowa only to get beat.  MN rolls into town next Saturday.  On any given day!  Yea, I know...  Haters gonna hate!  😎

38 minutes ago, cincymat said:

The Ohio State University best fix their offensive line and linebacker play or they won’t have a chance to play for the Big 10 championship.

cincy 

The problem with the offensive line is that the quarterback plays in slow motion.

JJK

• Haha 1

+++ Week 7 +++

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Wow, Texas, up TEN SPOTS into 9th!  Oklahoma only fell four but the Longhorns sure got some love for that victory!  Just a few weeks ago Texas was unranked.

As expected WVU moved up three spots after some previous top top teams lost essentially taking over that #6 ranking that Oklahoma vacated.  Michigan continues to climb, up another 3 into 12th.  Auburn is now 21st and dropped 13 places, the highest ranked 2-loss team.

Four previously unranked teams entered via the 22-25 rankings.