College football 2018

jimjimbo

7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Going to an 8 team playoff would help, but wouldn’t be perfect.  This year, the five power conference champs plus three others would probably have resulted in Notre Dame, UCF and Georgia.  Those three losers proved they didn’t belong. Washington demonstrated that even winning the championship in a power 5 conference doesn’t guarantee you’re one of the eight best teams.

Good analysis.

+++

That being said, I am NOT a fan of extended playoffs.  The bowl season is unique in how it falls during the holidays and the +1 national championship fills a void for that established Monday Night Football slot the NFL had established all year.

THAT being said you can rest assured if there is money to be made by an extended playoff then it's a guarantee it will be done.  Follow the money.

+++

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

The bowl season is unique

I don't see that fascination either.  40 bowl games.  What makes them so special?  Some are played with teams that have 500 records.  Is this the college football version of the participation trophy?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

The bowl season is unique

I don't see that fascination either.  40 bowl games.  What makes them so special?

What makes them so unique for the fans is that they are a holiday destination to watch a football game after the regular season is over.   Us West Virginians love to fly south during the holidays for a warm weather vacation.

For the Big Schools there are Big Bucks involved for the participants and their conferences.  $40 million to each team in the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl is significant.

Follow the money.

In years when they aren't hosting a semifinal, the contract bowls pay out as follows (on average over the length of the contracts): $27.5 million to each team in the Orange Bowl (although the share Notre Dame would receive if it were chosen for the game has not previously been disclosed), $40 million to each team in the Rose Bowl and $40 million to each team in the Sugar Bowl.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2018/01/01/how-have-college-football-playoff-payouts-compared-to-bcs-a-conference-by-conference-breakdown/#71de90212938

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

What makes them so unique for the fans is that they are a holiday destination to watch a football game after the regular season is over.   Us West Virginians love to fly south during the holidays for a warm weather vacation.

So they're basically exhibition games with no real meaning other than a revenue stream for the schools?

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

So they're basically exhibition games with no real meaning other than a revenue stream for the schools?

Correct, but I guess it depends on what you mean by exhibition game.  Aren't they all exhibition games, meant for the entertainment of the audience?

And yes, that revenue stream is substantial for the Power 5 conferences.  A certain percentage of the money from all bowl games goes back to the conference and the money is re-distributed to all teams in the conference, even the ones which did not go to a bowl game.

20 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Aren't they all exhibition games, meant for the entertainment of the audience?

Exhibition as in non playoff.  It's strange to me.  I've never participated in a sport where you didn't compete for a championship with your peers.  College basketball has March Madness.  College baseball has their world series.  College football has a committee and a bunch of consolation games.

Bowl games are exhibition games. Colleges are paid to play in bowl games, they don't host bowl games. College football has a championship playoff. The best teams play for the championship, the rest cry and make excuses. It's pretty complicated.

Keith

• Haha 1