College football 2018

jimjimbo

22 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Extended playoffs = more lopsided football games at the end of the season which more than likely end with same two teams playing for championship.

Not necessarily.  There would most likely be upsets just like in the regular season similar to March Madness.

47 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

There would most likely be upsets just like in the regular season similar to March Madness.

Not that involve these two teams apparently though.  Both making it to the Championship game with a 14-0 record this season. There have been no upsets. These two teams have both made it to the championship game 4 times. I just don't think an extended playoff changes where these two teams are right now playing in the last game of the season.

• Thanks 1

Dang!

Guys you Know the proverbial they, them control the schematic for all of it.

Strength of schedule, W/L, market size, regional bias all play into it, always will.

The really powerful will wield their clout if allowed to.

But the stuff recently here sounds like rationalizations.

A month ago I swore my Tigers could beat Alabama.

osterine happened. Our recent best defender is out for the biggest games of the year. 

A lot around here think someone introduced that substance to those fellas environments somehow....... ever seen a corporate espionage movie or read a book like that!

So the field has been leveled, "Any Given Sunday"

13 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

"Any Given Sunday"

Yep.  The Patriots went 18-0 then went on to lose to a team that was 10-6 in the Super Bowl..  The Patriots were 12 point favorites in that game.  If that was college, the Giants wouldn't have even been in the playoffs.

38 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

But we'll never know for sure with the current format.

There is no such thing as a perfect system and there's no point chasing it.  The bottom line is the current system will not change unless they think there is more money to be made.  It has nothing to do with which team is "best" or finding the most fair system.

Look at the current playoffs teams.  Even with a four team format the top players who are NFL prospects are now refusing to play.  Is any of the top four, or even eight teams the "best" when their best players won't participate?

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Even with a four team format the top players who are NFL prospects are now refusing to play. 

I had no idea.

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The bottom line is the current system will not change unless they think there is more money to be made.  It has nothing to do with which team is "best" or finding the most fair system.

That sounds about right.

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
19 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Even with a four team format the top players who are NFL prospects are now refusing to play. 

I had no idea.

Yeah, it's become quite the trend.  I know Alabama has at least one top NFL prospect out for that reason. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-players-sitting-bowl-games-2018-210123415.html

My WVU Mountaineer's QB Will Grier would not play our bowl game with Syracuse so he could "prepare for the upcoming NFL draft."  WVU went from a six point favorite to a 2 point underdog after the announcement.  WVU's offense dropped from more than 40 points a game to 18 and we lost by three touchdowns.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Yeah, it's become quite the trend.  I know Alabama has at least one top NFL prospect out for that reason. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-players-sitting-bowl-games-2018-210123415.html

My WVU Mountaineer's QB Will Grier would not play our bowl game with Syracuse so he could "prepare for the upcoming NFL draft."  WVU went from a six point favorite to a 2 point underdog after the announcement.  WVU's offense dropped from more than 40 points a game to 18 and we lost by three touchdowns.

Seems that things like that make the games even more meaningless than they already are.

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Seems that things like that make the games even more meaningless than they already are.

I'm not sure what you mean by "meaningless" unless you are a nihilist.  The games have entertainment value.

I can tell you that even as a Mountaineer fan, I was less than enthusiastic to watch my team knowing it's most exciting player refused to play.  Then our coach left.

35 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If players refuse to play after they've been given scholarships TO play then they should have to pay back the scholarship monies.

You might want to take a look at how much money the schools make from TV, sponsorships, bowl games, etc, etc, etc, while the players receive relatively little...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You might want to take a look at how much money the schools make from TV, sponsorships, bowl games, etc, etc, etc, while the players receive relatively little...

They receive a scholarship for playing football.  If they refuse to play then they should forfeit their scholarship monies.  If there's a disparity between what the colleges make off of them and the benefits they receive then that would be a different discussion.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If there's a disparity between what the colleges make off of them and the benefits they receive then that would be a different discussion.

IMO, there is a large disparity between what the schools make off revenue sports and the benefits received by the scholarship athletes.  IMO, it is that disparity which fuels the discussion.

It costs the schools very little, if anything, to enroll scholarship athletes.  Just because a scholarship athlete receives a tuition-free education that would otherwise have cost $XX,000, it doesn't follow that the university has expended that same amount of money.  The athlete's attendance did not prevent the university from enrolling another tuition paying student.  On the contrary, a successful athletic program has a measurable positive impact on applications received and enrollment, therefore, net tuition received is increased.

As to "meaningless" bowl games, I strongly disagree. The universities benefit from the exposure, as described above.  The universities run ads during the games promoting the schools.  Probably more important, even the "Weed Eater Bowl" permits weeks of extra practice that help the participating teams prepare for next season, as well as the bowl game.  Progams that consistently play in bowl games enjoy recruiting and development advantages over programs that consistently fail to qualify for bowl games.

It's an entertainment business that utilizes essentially unpaid talent.  Just because the education of the student athletes has a monetary value, it does not follow that the university incurs a commensurate monetary cost.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

It's an entertainment business that utilizes essentially unpaid talent.  Just because the education value to the student athletes has a monetary value, it does not follow that the university incurs a commensurate monetary cost.

So there is no repercussion to the student that doesn't fulfill his obligation to play?

36 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

As to "meaningless" bowl games, I strongly disagree. The universities benefit from the exposure, as described above.  The universities run ads during the games promoting the schools.  Probably more important, even the "Weed Eater Bowl" permits weeks of extra practice that help the participating teams prepare for next season, as well as the bowl game.  Progams that consistently play in bowl games enjoy recruiting and development advantages over programs that consistently fail to qualify for bowl games.

It's not meaningless to the individual schools or alumni, I get that.  It's meaningless to the casual observer that has no skin in the game.  For example I'm not a big college basketball fan but I will watch March madness games to see who'll eventually come out on top and the path that they traveled to get there.  Each game is win or go home.  If college football had a real play off like college baseball or basketball I'm sure I'd watch that too.  As it is, I could care less about a bowl game as there's so many, and to me, they mean nothing in the overall college football championship hunt.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

So there is no repercussion to the student that doesn't fulfill his obligation to play?

=== just as there are no repercussions to coaches that sign a contract for xxx years, recruit a class who believe “their” coach is there for his contract duration then signs with another school for of course, more money —