Klipsch RP-160M > Hsu CCB-8

Keith_M

I had been using a pair of RP-160M's for about a year, but I was never happy with their handling of complex symphonic (classical) material. With this type of music, they sounded strident and lacked detail. A large string section just sounded like a collision. Based on some online reviews, I ordered a pair of Hsu Research CCB-8's (also horn speakers), and they solved my problem; they sound extremely detailed and smooth not just with complex symphonic material, but with music overall. Granted, the CCB-8's are slightly more expensive speakers, but I am surprised that Hsu Research could get their second horn speaker in several years to sound so much better then the RP-160M's that should have benefited from decades of Klipsch horn design experience.

(These speakers were/are driven by a Yamaha A-S801 integrated amplifier.)

On a more positive Klipsch note, I consider our Klipsch R-15PM's to be classics: excellent audio, flexible architecture making them useful in a number of applications, and they just sound right, commanding the listener's attention, even if they are small and have little bass extension.

2 hours ago, Keith_M said:

Granted, the CCB-8's are slightly more expensive speakers, but I am surprised that Hsu Research could get their second horn speaker in several years to sound so much better then the RP-160M's that should have benefited from decades of Klipsch horn design experience.

Well, maybe room interaction contributed to the not so great results from the Klipsch.  On the other hand, HSU builds good stuff and their CCB-8's play nicer in your environment.

2 hours ago, Keith_M said:

(These speakers were/are driven by a Yamaha A-S801 integrated amplifier.)

Very nice integrated amp.

Bill