Chorus II Cap Update

Cody_Mack

Sorry I couldn't find in search. Looking for a 6.0 uF cap for Chorus II midrange but closest is 6.2 from Parts Express. Do I need to be at exactly 6.0? I know I can add two in parallel to get there; possibly using a higher-grade on the smaller value for possible improvement.  It still may be impossible to get the exact value, so what is the tolerance in this case?

Also what is minimum voltage rating?

Asking for a friend ( I really am...cause I own CF-4s :D)

Rick

2 hours ago, Cody_Mack said:

Sorry I couldn't find in search. Looking for a 6.0 uF cap for Chorus II midrange but closest is 6.2 from Parts Express. Do I need to be at exactly 6.0? I know I can add two in parallel to get there; possibly using a higher-grade on the smaller value for possible improvement.  It still may be impossible to get the exact value, so what is the tolerance in this case?

Also what is minimum voltage rating?

Asking for a friend ( I really am...cause I own CF-4s :D)

Rick

I have (4) 3.0uf Dayton 1% caps I will send you.  They are new.   PM me your address and I will send them on Monday.

Jim

• Like 2

I have been having trouble finding exact value caps too and really did not want to start using two when one would do, if I could find it. While I am not crazy about their prices Sonicap has 7uf and 8uf (and a 6 too) which was a problem recently finding exact values elsewhere. I figure designers and engineers had a reason for a 7uf or 8uf value and Sonicap had those. There is an engineering term called tolerance stack up. What it means is there are designed specs for a reason and if you start varying from that some variance may be all right but you start adding those little bits together and before you know it they have added up to being large enough to change the desired end result. One of the substitutes for a 7uf I have found was the Audyn 6.8uf which ended up being almost dead on for 7uf but then I have a way to accurately measure these and most do not. The next ones from Audyn may not be that way and really if you are going to want to pursue the best outcome you are going to need to be able to measure what you buy. Or at least start off with using correct value labeled components.

Very few caps are 1% tolerance.  Even the big buck Jupiter caps are 5% tolerance.  Meaning,  even a $355.00 Jupiter 6.8uf can be .34uf either way.

Other than making room for two parallel caps on a crossover board, there is no reason you shouldn't parallel to get a value your really want, if that's the direction you want to pursue.

• Like 1

the voltage on a crossover capacitor only has to be able to take the rail voltage of the amp that you use and that is really overkill. Lots of speakers have only 35 - 50 volt rated caps and yet they are safely run on amps with 80 -90 volt rails because the applied voltages are not applied constantly. Some designers believe that running a cap near its voltage rating sounds better than using a over rated cap but there is no reason other than that not to use an over rated cap (higher voltage rating than required). By using a higher rated cap you are covering yourself in the event that you should ever decide to use a very high power amplifier but you will spend a lot more to do so and lower rated caps are going to be fine so long as you don't listen flat out all day long. Like I said most crossover caps are not rated up to most amplifier rail voltages because it is not a problem.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, jimjimbo said:

Very few caps are 1% tolerance.  Even the big buck Jupiter caps are 5% tolerance.  Meaning,  even a $355.00 Jupiter 6.8uf can be .34uf either way.

Other than making room for two parallel caps on a crossover board, there is no reason you shouldn't parallel to get a value your really want, if that's the direction you want to pursue.

I have done this on occasion I just think it makes a neater looking job to use one over two. There is no electrical reason not to I just like the appearance of one over two. But yeah a pile of 1,2,3 and 4uf caps can sure be combined for a lot of coverage.

Jimbo/Cody_Mac,

I wanted to reach out and thank both of you for helping me in my quest to recap my Chorus ii speakers.

I received the capacitors in the mail yesterday and they arrived in great shape

If my work allows, I am hoping to start the project sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Jimbo, I'll be sending something back to you in the mail in the next week or so.

One last thing, I have been curious as to the manufactured date of my speakers and have tried to decipher using the online tool I found

but the logic doesn't make sense to me. Was hoping someone could help me come up with the date..

My S/N's  are 181396116 &  181396117.

Thanks again!