Do Vacuum Tubes Reduce Resolution? (PS Audio video)

wvu80

This may be low level discussion for the more experienced Klipschites who post in this Talkin' Tubes sub-forum but as a non-tube user I thought the topic  was interesting.

Paul McGown is the president of PS Audio and puts out Youtube videos nearly every day on various audio topics.  Of particular interest to me is his discussions of "high resolving" systems and his belief that every system could benefit from a sub-woofer.

• Like 1

I own and enjoy SS and tube audio, but he is biased, because he sells tube audio. I think his comment of SS being “over etched” odd. I’m no expert, but some things these so called experts say has me laughing like he says, “ You can’t take something that’s over etched and compare it to something that’s correct and say one is better than the other...” In his opinion one is incorrect being SS is over etched and one is correct being tubes, although he says it in his vague terms without just saying tubes are better. Maybe he wants to say it vaguely so not to upset SS people.

I also disagree with his belief that every system could benefit from a sub-woofer. I own a pair of Wharfedale Emerald EM 99 MK IV speakers and they do not need a sub-woofer and I’ve heard other speakers that do not.

• Like 1

No they do not reduce resolution. I also notice he sells no tubes. In his interest to tell this story.

Midrange is where the magic happens. I've lived with Belles and La Scalas wich have amazingly clean bass but don't go super low. I'd rather have quality over quantity. Not many subs are as clean or can keep up with Klipsch fully horn loaded systems.. I tried many subs and it just muddied the waters. I may hate subs short of Roy's HLS subs and Edgars Titan but not much else.

• Like 1

SS with mosfets.... Never over etched.   Tubes IMO tend to smear everything ever so slightly in a very pleasant way and give the end user the ability to color the sound until his or her heart is content with tube rolling.   I know people say 5 watts is all you need.   That isnt what I NEED and Def isn't enough for me.   If it was, I would stay with tubes I'm sure.   Color my audio with pleasant distortion any day. Sterile audio in the highly treated studios isn't pleasant to listen to, trust me.   It is about what sounds good to you and tubes offer much better flexibility IMO.  Most of us change gear here and there or more.   With tubes you MAY not need to do so.   Just my 2 cents 

I remember the man saying Class D as his particular SS example.  I have owner traditional SS amps, Class D, and tubes.  They can all sound good.  The other parts of the system and room will impart there own touch to the sound.  For most of us there are good sounding system but, no pure with any of these amps.  Hard to replicate the finish product heard in the studio.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 12:29 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

SS with mosfets.... Never over etched.   Tubes IMO tend to smear everything ever so slightly in a very pleasant way and give the end user the ability to color the sound until his or her heart is content with tube rolling.   I know people say 5 watts is all you need.   That isnt what I NEED and Def isn't enough for me.   If it was, I would stay with tubes I'm sure.  

I disagree with the generalization that tubes smear. I've owned a Wright-Audio 2A3, and still run a pair of Don Allen SEPs. I would describe these amps as tonally natural with very good transient response. I understand, though, that low power doesn't suit your needs. The only MOSFET amp I've owned was a CJ MF-80, and definitely not over-etched; smooth and natural, a very nice amp.

• Like 1