New RP-250C MDF Scratches and MDF Flaw

Kris

I just bought a new RP-250C center channel speaker. This was a new RP-250C that has no indications that it had ever been unboxed/returned before. On unboxing and inspection, I noticed scratches on the MDF enclosure side-panel. Refer to picture 1. It appears to have been dragged on abrasive surface. I returned the speaker to the store for an exchange and received a replacement. I unboxed and inspected the second unit and noticed a quarter sized discolouration on the top of the speaker enclosure. Refer to pictures 2, 3, and 4. This appears to have either been MDF panel damage that was coloured over at the factory or maybe a repair done after a return. I am very disappointed in this level of quality. I have other MDF speakers and they don't have this kind of quality issues. Is this typical of Klipsch these days? I need to return it for another replacement or refund but this is ridiculous that it takes this many exchanges. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Update: I was able to remove the mark. I suspected that this mark might be an adhesive of some sort based on how it looked in close-up photos. Initially I tried to wipe with damp cloth but that had no impact on mark. So, on a 30 year old black MDF Aiwa speaker I have in storage I did experiment with 99% isopropyl alcohol applied in long duration (10 mins until natural evaporation) and three applications, and on each application checked for potential color removal with q-tip and for discoloration or bubbling. Surprisingly, there was absolutely no damage or discoloration during testing and also after 24 hours to confirm long term. So, I proceeded to wipe the RP-250C mark with q-tip but with only 1 to 2 seconds of contact, immediate wipe with damp cloth (filtered water) to dilute and remove isopropyl, then immediately gentle/cool blow dry to prevent any water absorption. Then I extensively checked for damage, discoloration, uniformity in a every possible angle of bright day light and point-source incandescent light to verify the mark is completely removed and no damage/discoloration or surface uniformity problems were caused by isopropyl use. This took a lot of my time and effort and risk, so I wish Klipsch would improve quality control and due care on their production line.