Large K-79 Tweeter Horn Lens Road Show

Dave A

6 minutes ago, SWL said:

Yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had 2 DE-10's in parallel (4 total) in order to level match my mid horns, on ME-10 horns, about 7 years ago. They are 107 db/W, so I needed 110 db/W to match my mid drivers. Having tested nearly every driver on the market with both of Dave's MAHLs, big and small. The DE-10/Big MAHL combo is the most flat and widest bandwidth at the lowest price, so not only does it measure and sound the best, it's also the best value. There are not too many things on the market that can make that claim and this is certainly one of them. Thanks for verifying and adding objectivity to your subjective impressions (while adding reality to my curves), and for making a sound investment (pun intended) for greater musical enjoyment.

• Like 1

As crazy as this may sound I can't make up my mind which I like more with the MCM 1900. The two banks of four K-77's or the two of the DE10's in you know what. I don't really understand the mechanics of sound that in a massive system the size of an MCM 1900 these small tweeter's make such an audible difference but they do. I stick an L-Pad on there and adjust to suit me for the day or the music.

15 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Nice! I've never heard the D-10's but I absolutely love the Crites CT-120 tweeters, they left my jaw on the floor as I was in total shock as to how much better they were than the k-77. 

Maybe instead of painting the horn lenses you could give them a thin rubberized coating like the new RF-7 III horns have? Don't know if that's feasible just an idea. Lookin' good!

I have started polishing the interior of the horn and the face with Scotchbrite. It leaves kind of a satin finish which looks good in it's own right and if you want to paint it just clean and the surface is ready to go. The as machined surface always let you see fingerprints to easily and I was never thrilled about that. Scotchbrite gives a kind of matt finish with a scratch pattern according to how you apply it and looks more esthetically refined to me compared to shiny.

No advice on best paint or painting practices but this Scotchbrite surface will allow paint to adhere much better and truth to be known I like the appearance more.

I have no opinion on what paint to use as mine don't get painted. You guys get to figure all that out and do the painting to.

Interesting. Wonder what the tube fanatics would say about that?
I've been a tube fanatic for the last couple of months. Been rolling tubes and finally I've got a tube set I'm really content with and now comes along these new tweeters and my solid state sounds like a million bucks LOL.

• Like 1

Ok so this sound like a fit for me . Forte 1 upgraded to titanium diaphragms rebuilt x overs both from bob.Sound so much better but lookin for something more.currently running Yamaha R7 receiver bought at the same time I purchased the speakers 1985.All thoughts and suggestions welcome.Never have or had an opportunity to try tubes so thoughts on that also. Thanks let’s here it

Been spending more time with these new tweeters in my KLF-30's.

I have another system in my basement that is almost exactly the same as my main system. When I go down to listen to the basement system which still has the stock drivers and titanium tweeter diaphragms, it is immediately noticeable that the highs sound like they are slightly veiled like not all of the sound is getting through. They sound cheap after hearing the new tweeters.

So with the new MAHL/DE-10 drivers, my tube amp tone/EQ has pretty much stayed the same. With my solid state, I have to cut the highs a notch. Then this morning I remembered that my preamp (Marantz 3300) has a 5khz and a 9khz high filter. I tried both and the 5khz filter works perfect! I wish I had remembered this sooner.

Second pair of MAHL/DE10 drivers should be here tomorrow![emoji1417][emoji1417]

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, SWL said:

I have another system in my basement that is almost exactly the same as my main system. When I go down to listen to the basement system which still has the stock drivers and titanium tweeter diaphragms, it is immediately noticeable that the highs sound like they are slightly veiled like not all of the sound is getting through. They sound cheap after hearing the new tweeters.

So with the new MAHL/DE-10 drivers, my tube amp tone/EQ has pretty much stayed the same. With my solid state, I have to cut the highs a notch. Then this morning I remembered that my preamp (Marantz 3300) has a 5khz and a 9khz high filter. I tried both and the 5khz filter works perfect! I wish I had remembered this sooner.

Second pair of MAHL/DE10 drivers should be here tomorrow!emoji1417.pngemoji1417.png

And thusly, another happy Big MAHL/DE-10 fan is created. I had mine on top of my Jubes with JBL drivers on big Tractrix horns with a Passive Network from ALK. Sounded pretty sweet there too. Of course, the curves were what got me started, but it's nice to know the ears and different speakers of many agree with the better tweeter curves!!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, SWL said:

Second pair of MAHL/DE10 drivers should be here tomorrow!emoji1417.pngemoji1417.png

You are a bad influence on me SWL :) 

Maybe I can get to do the test drive for my klf-30's...

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, that's what I thought. 😕

Fantastic work on the lenses, and it seems that everybody is loving how they sound! 😎

I think when I get further into the refurb on the LSs, I will look at getting Bob's CT-120s.

• 1 month later...

This morning I finally got around to installing another pair of the MAHL K-79 DE10 tweeters in my second pair of KLF-30's. These are down in my workout room and they are normally played really loud 80% of the time. These speakers have all of the 'Ultimate Upgrades' except the Ciare woofers which I think I'm gonna order right after I finish typing this.

Wow. I was just reminded how much better these tweeters are than stock. Years ago, I remember (in my car) going from a tape deck to a CD player for the first time. The CD player sound was cleaner. It was more detailed. It revealed more of the music and the biggest thing (especially back then) was I could crank it up much, much louder without any distortion. The louder it goes, the better it got. These new tweeters have much of those same qualities.

I'm letting them rip right now because my experience with my first pair was that they do some serious breaking in for the first 1-2 hours. I gotta say though, I really thought they broke in even more after 2-3 weeks.....and that was playing 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I just let them play (Spotify) with my ss gear while I was away.

In having two systems with the same speakers and virtually the same gear powering them, I would always compare the two. In comparison, the stock tweeters (with titanium diaphragms) always sounded like they had a thin towel draped over the tweeters. They sounded fine but comparing them always had the same results.

When I was first approached to demo these tweeters I really wasn't interested at all.....even though it was a free demo. I was totally happy with my stock drivers and the titanium diaphragms. I couldn't hear any reason to upgrade. Then I realized that virtually EVERY component I changed in my speakers to date was an improvement. No question about it. So I figured what the heck and tried these tweeters. Glad I did.
Thanks again Dave!