Large K-79 Tweeter Horn Lens Road Show

Dave A

Can't wait to get mine in my LSI's but that project is a few months down the road[emoji20]
Cool. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions compared to the stock drivers/lenses.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just now, SWL said:

Cool. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions compared to the stock drivers/lenses.

Stock drivers are toast in the LSI's.  I have Crites and ALK stuff in my bedroom Lascalas so I won't be much help with comparative impressions.

• Like 1

It's interesting because just yesterday I watched a (Steve Guttenberg?) video where he was talking about how horns are more "exciting" to listen to vs other types. He goes on to say that with horns, he has the tendancy to want to crank it up because they don't distort. Amen to that brother....

That's my experience with these new tweeters. Especially with solid state.....I wanna crank it up because the sound has more presence. It's more lively and cleaner sounding.

With these tweeters my tubes sound more 'polished' and my solid state is more 'snappy and airy'. Both have better clarity. These are perfect for Klipsch and perfect for those who admire the Klipsch sound.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:18 PM, SWL said:

When I was first approached to demo these tweeters I really wasn't interested at all.....even though it was a free demo. I was totally happy with my stock drivers and the titanium diaphragms. I couldn't hear any reason to upgrade. Then I realized that virtually EVERY component I changed in my speakers to date was an improvement. No question about it. So I figured what the heck and tried these tweeters. Glad I did.
Thanks again Dave

Thanks for the kind words. The road show has been interesting and I always end up sending new tweeters out because those who get these never seem to want to send them back for some strange reason.

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Can't wait to get mine in my LSI's but that project is a few months down the road:(

BOY can I relate to that. My long awaited forklift might actually be done this week and I can resume the S-MWM next week.  That rascal has been gone for some time now and I look at that pile of lumber most every day. My intent is to dedicate next week to the build until they are done assuming, ahem, I have my forklift back

46 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

How much are you picking up?

The S-MWM calculates to 338 pounds each. If the forklift is not done by next Monday I am going to just build this on the floor as I am tired of waiting. That's hard on the knees though.

Looking forward to seeing these. Should be able to playback at rock concert levels.

At home  I hear a little hardness sometimes at jazz club playback level. Think it comes from the K400. It is at less than 100 dB, should be less than 1 watt amplifier power. Might be the source material. Some discs are overloaded. 

14 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

Looking forward to seeing these. Should be able to playback at rock concert levels.

At home  I hear a little hardness sometimes at jazz club playback level. Think it comes from the K400. It is at less than 100 dB, should be less than 1 watt amplifier power. Might be the source material. Some discs are overloaded. 

Audacity is your friend and Chris A has some really good info here on the forum about this free program. My experience has sadly been that some recordings are either beyond my ability to salvage or hopelessly crappy and beyond recovery. Room EQ too.

• 2 weeks later...

Flat black would be closer.

For those of you painting your lenses. I assume that once you have made the decision to paint you never intend to go back to bare metal. If you get a Scotch Brite 7447 pad for instance and rough up the surface with this the paint will adhere much better. Clean that metal good before painting though. The matt finish on the front face of the lenses I ship has been finished with this so you have an idea what it will do.

While you are at it those dust caps sure look shiny too ;D
Yeah, the dust caps and the tweeters match. Oh well, with the grills on everything matches perfect.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:59 AM, SWL said:

Painted my tweeter lenses. Turned out ok....maybe a little too shiny.

Not as shiny as the silver ones. LOL. Besides, don't you think they should LOOK as shiny as they SOUND??

Not as shiny as the silver ones. LOL. Besides, don't you think they should LOOK as shiny as they SOUND??
Yeah, the silver ones were like a pair of high beams.

11 minutes ago, SWL said:

Maybe I'll paint the mid-horn black, too. Maybe I'll just paint the whole damn thing black.....cabinet and all. Oooohhh, scary speakers.emoji39.png

Be careful with that. The Main Stream Media might label them "assault speakers", and want to ban them.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 1:01 AM, DizRotus said:

A friend was showing photos taken in Yellowstone on her vacation.  I was wondering if any would be turned 90 degrees, until she got to a photo of the lower half of an Old Faithful eruption.

So many people seem so clueless.  It's a problem everywhere.

Our local TV station welcomes news videos sent in by viewers, but they ask that anyone recording a video please turn their camera/phone on its side, to match the TV screen.  They even show one of the on-air personalities demonstrating how to hold the phone when recording.