Large K-79 Tweeter Horn Lens Road Show

Dave A

OK I am going to make one or two sets of these available for people to listen to in their own speakers and see for themselves what they do. Chorus I and II, Fortes and Cornwall II's are candidates for these. Some commercial stuff is too like KP-301's. I will send a set off to the first person who requests this. Keep it for a few days and listen and then send them to the next person in line. Easiest way to wade though does it work or not is to see for yourself. PM me and get on the list. Guys I am relying on whoever gets them to be prompt in forwarding them to the next person on the list. Be forewarned you will need larger spade ends to hook up to the DE120 so have them on hand before you get them and save time for us all.

PM me and I will get the ball rolling. I just might do this with the K-77 drop in too although the idea of drop ins for that horn have been well received these I have are a new deal. T

If they have to change out the disconnects, this raises the hassle factor considerably, especially considering the tight turn around you're expecting.

I would give them a week to listen. People are busy, and are lucky if they have a few hours here and there to spend time with their system.

Send them four jumpers outfitted with alligator clips. That way they can just clip the network wire to the terminal on the driver. Easy Peasy, and good enough for a short term evaluation.

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/leads-clips/products/mini-alligator-jump-cbl?variant=20332010245

Even better, you could also make the jumpers yourself, and crimp on the proper disconnects. You are soliciting positive feedback. Make it as easy as possible.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 11:33 AM, Deang said:

If they have to change out the disconnects, this raises the hassle factor considerably, especially considering the tight turn around you're expecting.

I would give them a week to listen. People are busy, and are lucky if they have a few hours here and there to spend time with their system.

Send them four jumpers outfitted with alligator clips. That way they can just clip the network wire to the terminal on the driver. Easy Peasy, and good enough for a short term evaluation.

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/leads-clips/products/mini-alligator-jump-cbl?variant=20332010245

Even better, you could also make the jumpers yourself, and crimp on the proper disconnects. You are soliciting positive feedback. Make it as easy as possible.

I like that idea.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:12 PM, mark1101 said:

Do you have pics of the K79ish horn?  Is it a tractrix?

It is a convex elliptical shape. The tractix type when tested on the smaller lens did well but not as good as the elliptical so I did not make any tractix type for the K-79 assuming the same would hold true there.

DSC_0003.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dave A said:

Wonder how many people actually do this with their setups?

Not enough... I did it with my LS, albeit with the apt50 driver on an eminence horn. It helped the imaging a LOT. Some won't do it because of the aesthetics, but aligning the tweeter with the mid was a vreat improvement.

Bruce

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 12:51 AM, Dave A said:

OK I am going to make one or two sets of these available for people to listen to in their own speakers and see for themselves what they do. Chorus I and II, Fortes and Cornwall II's are candidates for these. Some commercial stuff is too like KP-301's. I will send a set off to the first person who requests this. Keep it for a few days and listen and then send them to the next person in line. Easiest way to wade though does it work or not is to see for yourself. PM me and get on the list. Guys I am relying on whoever gets them to be prompt in forwarding them to the next person on the list. Be forewarned you will need larger spade ends to hook up to the DE120 so have them on hand before you get them and save time for us all.

PM me and I will get the ball rolling. I just might do this with the K-77 drop in too although the idea of drop ins for that horn have been well received these I have are a new deal. T

Send them adapters from the small to the big, otherwise they will waste time trying to buy something that works locally. Radio Shack is dead, remember?

Otherwise, I do think this is a great idea. These have to be heard to be believed!

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Not enough... I did it with my LS, albeit with the apt50 driver on an eminence horn. It helped the imaging a LOT. Some won't do it because of the aesthetics, but aligning the tweeter with the mid was a vreat improvement.

Bruce

I did this in the late 70's with my original pair of Khorns. I mentioned this to Paul W. Klipsch, the day I met him. Let's just say he didn't pull out a Bullshit button, but he was NOT convinced and told me so without harsh words. So I moved on to another topic.

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Radio Shack is dead, remember? 

Not quite... a few are still open and they are going to place new ones inside another store brand (Hobby Town, I believe). Not sure what they will be selling... dreams maybe. 🙄

Bruce

10 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Send them adapters from the small to the big, otherwise they will waste time trying to buy something that works locally. Radio Shack is dead, remember?

Otherwise, I do think this is a great idea. These have to be heard to be believed!

Dean mentioned the idea of insulated alligator clips and I am going to send something with these road show tweets to make it easy.

Radio Shack died for me some years ago when they wanted to sell me batteries at $24 a pair. Then I find the same things later on EBay for about $3. I don't mind a markup for convenience and a place I can go when in need that day but I do object to being plundered. I have never been back since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 7:07 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I did this in the late 70's with my original pair of Khorns. I mentioned this to Paul W. Klipsch, the day I met him. Let's just say he didn't pull out a Bullshit button, but he was NOT convinced and told me so without harsh words. So I moved on to another topic.

Yea but did he try it?...there are way too many papers on acoustics that suggest ( I hesitate to use the word prove) that what people claim to hear when drivers are time aligned are really hearing something. You yourself know this of course ClaudeJ1.

43 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yea but did he try it?...there are way too many papers on acoustics that suggest ( I hesitate to use the word prove) that what people claim to hear when drivers are time aligned are really hearing something. You yourself know this of course ClaudeJ1.

As far as I can recall, he mentioned something about it being inaudible on speech and music, 2 milliseconds being the threshold and only on head phones, not in a listening room. I didn't press the issue further as I didn't know more at the time.

I am thinking of adding a set of DE10's to the road show set of tweeters. It sounds at least as good as the DE120's and perhaps even better as I sit here listening and it does so at $60 less per pair than the DE120's cost. These larger tweeters and the larger space to work with make a LOT of options available but these DE10's have got to be the best bang for the buck I have heard. Which reminds me if you want your name on the tester list and the idea of having two sets of drivers accompany the testing kit appeals to you let me know.

17 hours ago, Dave A said:

I am thinking of adding a set of DE10's to the road show set of tweeters. It sounds at least as good as the DE120's and perhaps even better as I sit here listening and it does so at $60 less per pair than the DE120's cost. These larger tweeters and the larger space to work with make a LOT of options available but these DE10's have got to be the best bang for the buck I have heard. Which reminds me if you want your name on the tester list and the idea of having two sets of drivers accompany the testing kit appeals to you let me know.

Which speakers are you using these in, will they fit (work) in a chorus speaker?