Large K-79 Tweeter Horn Lens Road Show

Dave A

18 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The "harsh realities" you speak of are the same as the comments from "armchair quarterbacks." To which, I say, it's always easy if you are not the one that has to do it. LOL.

In the same manner, don't get me started on the cost of trailering light, lights modifiers, cameras, models, and assistants to a commercial photo shoot where the customer never sees the prep time (phone calls, arrangements, gear testing, etc.) maintenance costs, insurance costs, travel time, and post process time, etc. (real world). In contrast to  the now dilututed perceived value of Professional Photography because of iPhones of "P" settings on cheap SLR cameras of today makes it too damn easy and cheap to get an image of high mediocrity lighting.

Hey I thought all you guys did was buy a point and shoot and hit print. You mean there is more to it then that??

In the don't get me started category how dumb is it that smart iPhone  people don't realize you can turn the phone 90 degrees and actual have more than a silly little strip of image t look at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

Hey I thought all you guys did was buy a point and shoot and hit print. You mean there is more to it then that??

In the don't get me started category how dumb is it that smart iPhone  people don't realize you can turn the phone 90 degrees and actual have more than a silly little strip of image t look at.

No kidding. So to all the Heavy Metal Tweeter Converts out there. How's fantastic IS the SOUND, eh?? This is what happens when you finally let go of 1957 technology and get into the new millenium!!

the see-saw between oil can cap's and plastic barrel sonicap's isn't unforeseen, having ceramic or titanium tweeters, milled z brackets replacements, rectangle or oval lenses (I can type those words easier than the misspelling of the correct terminology lol) and best of all, screws and experiments are just about in the pockets of everyone.  But if the lenses had ferroliquid cooling channels, indeed, for whatever reason was imagined, or an electrical wing directional flapper, at some point in time, somebody would be lost, and want to install the original whatever....

2 hours ago, windashine said:

the see-saw between oil can cap's and plastic barrel sonicap's isn't unforeseen, having ceramic or titanium tweeters, milled z brackets replacements, rectangle or oval lenses (I can type those words easier than the misspelling of the correct terminology lol) and best of all, screws and experiments are just about in the pockets of everyone.  But if the lenses had ferroliquid cooling channels, indeed, for whatever reason was imagined, or an electrical wing directional flapper, at some point in time, somebody would be lost, and want to install the original whatever....

Yes, and there are people who are mechanically challenged by a wheelbarrow, which, is not the target market here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/25/2018 at 2:05 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

The "harsh realities" you speak of are the same as the comments from "armchair quarterbacks." To which, I say, it's always easy if you are not the one that has to do it. LOL.

In the same manner, don't get me started on the cost of trailering light, lights modifiers, cameras, models, and assistants to a commercial photo shoot where the customer never sees the prep time (phone calls, arrangements, gear testing, etc.) maintenance costs, insurance costs, travel time, and post process time, etc. (real world). In contrast to  the now dilituted perceived value of Professional Photography because of iPhones of "P" settings on cheap SLR cameras of today makes it too damn easy and cheap to get an image of high mediocrity lighting.

Yes, and I'm constantly taken aback by all the "Amazing" comments from their friends who view all the crappy snapshots, just because they are in focus. The word no longer has meaning.

Hey for anyone interested the K-79 larger tweeter road show setup is back and available. The next guy who had asked for them has not responded to emails so they are ready for the net inquiring mind. Yes Dave says they sound really good but what does he know right? Find out for yourself as hearing is believing.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:20 PM, Dave A said:

Hey for anyone interested the K-79 larger tweeter road show setup is back and available. The next guy who had asked for them has not responded to emails so they are ready for the net inquiring mind. Yes Dave says they sound really good but what does he know right? Find out for yourself as hearing is believing.

I was first on the list and really enjoyed the tweeters, big change compared to my stock  k 79 with Ti upgrade. They were well machined and a perfect fit for my chorus I's, could even use orginal screws. ( No going to the hardware store! ) Dave supplied 2 sets of speaker wire with aligator clips which made connecting the tweeters a breeze. 

Found them to be very smooth and detailed, the harshness I heard  on some material was gone. ( I listen to mostly CD's) I tried everything in past to get rid of harshness from open cell form to felt in the horns and even rebuild crossovers with bob's kit. The tweeters where the only upgrade that got rid of it. If you have speakers that uses a k 79 tweeter I highly recommend this upgrade! They are definely worth a try and I think you will be glad you did.

Forgot to mention they still keep that klipsch sound that so many like.

• Like 3

Here are 2 curves comparing DavA's Horn Lens with B&C DE-120 vs. original square magnet K77 as measured on a Super Heresy 1.5. The rolloff with the K77 starts at less than 7.8 Khz. and goes down pretty drastically while the DaveA's horn/driver combo remains flat. Please note the 2 db increment in the vertical scale vs. the typical 5 or 10 db increment. It's 2 1/2 to 5 times the resolution in the curve plot. Also note that the curve is for DaveA's smaller horn lens. The BIG one talked about here is even smoother than this below 7 Khz. so it you have room, it's the way to go!! If not, this little one 'aint too shabby!!!

DavA_B&C_DE120vsK77.jpg

2 hours ago, Schu said:

so if they are using the same lens, it appears the 77 is even MORE susceptible when not using the OEM lens.

Those curves should never cause anyone to use the word "appears."   It's pure and REAL data, curved from the exact same distance in the same room from 1 meter away. One original K77 tweeter mounted on a Klipsch Heresy vs that same Klipsch Heresy using Dave's new tweeter assembly bolted into the same cabinet with the exact same crossover, unchanged from the factory, except for new film capacitors for both curves. It's a factory K77 vs. the new improved driver/lens combo from DaveA, plain, simple, and accurate. Original tweeter vs. new tweeter. The vastly superior definition of all instruments, especially the palpable reality of Cymbals, says it all beyond reading curves.

28 minutes ago, Schu said:

Appear

VERB
  • come into sight; become visible or noticeable, typically without visible agent or apparent cause.

it appears to be appropriate
    😁

What is "appropriate" here is that it APPEARS you are wasting my time.

11 hours ago, brians7 said:

Schu is appears you crack me up LOL 

Yes indeed, how far can we push the concept to include bad humor in the process.

On a serious note, I modified my original text to clarify the whole thing further and fix speling errors, and he does have a point. However, if he wears a hat, no one will notice.

Oops, I did it again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 4:47 PM, babadono said:

Yea but did he try it?...there are way too many papers on acoustics that suggest ( I hesitate to use the word prove) that what people claim to hear when drivers are time aligned are really hearing something. You yourself know this of course ClaudeJ1.

PWK, was an irascible character who dismissed any revisionist ideas as mostly manure and molasses. He also didn't like CD's, claiming that the 96 db signal to noise ratio was not necessary. He ONLY listened to his own recordings done on reel to reel tape, using a Revox and Tandberg? to the best of my recollection while I sat on his couch at home. But, since he did so much for the Audio Community, I'm sure we have all long  forgiven him for his "show me" attitude, eh?

Cabinets with a dr for woofer, mid and tweeter aren't far out of alignment. Even on LS and Khorns, it't what we've mostly been listening to for years. Once you here the difference it's an 'aaaha' moment.

Bruce