Inductors

Dave A

There are a variety of inductors with the same values. I am wondering if there is a rule about what should be used where. For instance I can get a 2.5 MH Super Q Erse, a2.5MH from Bob and various open air coils and bobbin wound and ferrite core. All have the same MH but they do differ in resistance and wattage ratings and conductor size.

Why for instance can't I use a Super Q 2.5MH over the transformer looking 2.5MH I see offered from various places. PE shows three of these all 18g wire. They also show 5 air core 14g to 18g from $7.47 to $31.22. Like everything else regarding audio components it seems there are prices from cheapo to grossly exorbitant.

What is the general rule here for what to use or can someone point me in the direction of a concise set of rules to follow.

Dave, I don't think that there are any concise rules on what to use.  If they are all of the same value, it's pretty much up to you as to what YOU think is better, and what you may or may not want to spend.  I have used, and still do, all of the various types that you mention above, including the Super Q, and honestly haven't discerned much of a difference.  If you'd like to try a couple of the Super Q's, let me know.

I used some when I built crossovers for three sets of those KP456's I had a while back. I have no idea if they were worth it but they sure looked sharp. I do see resistance value differences on various types and guess anything will change output to some degree but can you hear it? Thanks for the offer but like you I have tried various types and don't know that it matters to much.

Thinking of unwinding some of those ferrite bobbin coils to get some 245uf values instead of buying new next time since I can measure them.

The Super Q in 16 gauge is a nice part. I just wish they dipped it in varnish to lock the windings in place, to stop them from rubbing against each other. Bob's coils from UT are dipped in varnish, mine are dipped in wax. DCR is a little lower in mine because of the larger gauge wire, but probably makes very little difference. A big *** air core in the low pass looks impressive, but I've never been able to fully convince myself that I'm actually hearing difference. The only exception to this would be the copper foils -- the bass lines are easier to hear.

When multiple coils are mounted close together on a PCB, leave then alone. The mutual inductance is factored in by Klipsch, and messing them ruins the tuning of the circuit. Even If you managed find exact replacements, the DCR would have to be near identical, and that's not as easy to do as one might think. Besides, most of the high pass coils that Klipsch uses are air cores anyways, so changing them out doesn't really create any benefit (unless the windings are loose).

For the .254mH, I use these. It's a good part. I fill the middle with hot melt, and then run a stainless or brass screw through the middle of the glue after it dries.

https://www.parts-express.com/jantzen-audio-025mh-20-awg-air-core-inductor-crossover-coil--255-026

• 9 months later...