RF7II vs RF7III vs RP8000F vs RP280F

superkyle1721

Hey guy new to the forum but long time member on others. I’ve been doing a ton of research in preparation for my first and last for a long time high end speaker purchase. I would like this to be a one and done ultimate audio but at a resonable price. I realize based on the title most everyone will likely say RF73 but unless I find for a super sweet deal it may be a little out of my price range even used. So I ask the question if those are the reference point how far off are the RF7 II and other listed in terms of clarity accuracy and overall musical/vocal ability. I also plan to buy the matching center speaker for a high end lrc system to build upon. Would love some advice from all the users here. 

• Moderators

Welcome superkyle!  You are in the right place.  We all love Klipsch and there are lots of guys willing to help out and share their experience.

I did several comparisons between the RF7, RF7 II and RF7 III.  Check out these three video for my take on them.

In a nutshell, the RF7 II and RF7 III are both fantastic speakers.  I rocked the RF7 II for several years, my son had the RF7 in his bedroom.  I ended up selling the RF7, gave my son the RF7 II and upgraded to the RF7 III.    The RF7 III have a smoother, more refined top end than the RF7 II.  I didn't hear any difference in midrange or bass. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Welcome superkyle!  You are in the right place.  We all love Klipsch and there are lots of guys willing to help out and share their experience.

I did several comparisons between the RF7, RF7 II and RF7 III.  Check out these three video for my take on them.

In a nutshell, the RF7 II and RF7 III are both fantastic speakers.  I rocked the RF7 II for several years, my son had the RF7 in his bedroom.  I ended up selling the RF7, gave my son the RF7 II and upgraded to the RF7 III.    The RF7 III have a smoother, more refined top end than the RF7 II.  I didn't hear any difference in midrange or bass. 

Youthman you seem to be king of Klipsch reviews. I have watched just about every video you have put out on the speakers. While you have stated you prefer the sound of the rf7iii I keep seeing open box rf7ii for a good price on eBay sub $1200 for a pair and while I am tempted to save up another paycheck or two and get the III I’m finding it really hard not to pull the trigger. If you had to start over and budget was a factor would you go for the III over the II at current pricing? 

Also as much as I want to hear a difference between the rf7ii and III with my current setup I just can’t tell much difference. I hear the change is sound from the I to II for sure. Since I do not have the option to demo I am trusting fellow owners and forum members! 

Edited by superkyle1721

• Moderators

Thank you for the kind words.  Not sure about being King of Klipsch Reviews, I'm probably just the guy on Youtube that has owned the most Klipsch speakers.

Budget is almost always a factor (I know it is with me).  As I stated in my review, "Is it worth it" is always relative to the individual.  $1200 to $3200 is a very significant jump.  Do I hear 2x the improvement in the RF7 III over the RF7 II....no.  But that's typically the case with just about every upgrade. 

I honestly believe you can't go wrong with either.  I do feel the RF7 III is a better overall speaker.  How much is better worth....that's up to each individual. 

Good luck in whatever you decide.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

If you say Illinois ....there is a sweet deal on the RF-7 IIIs for $2000 including the center. 

That would solve all my problems haha I would buy that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I’m in SC and that’s quite the drive to pick up. I’ve sent @MetropolisLakeOutfitters A message but haven’t heard back maybe when I do he has some scratch and dent or something that makes it affordable. 

12 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

If you say Illinois ....there is a sweet deal on the RF-7 IIIs for $2000 including the center. 

Ended up reaching out to the guy shortly after posting this and they are spoken for. I’m next in line but given the fact the first guy has committed and confirmed I highly doubt it will make it to me. :( 

7 hours ago, superkyle1721 said:

That would solve all my problems haha I would buy that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I’m in SC and that’s quite the drive to pick up. I’ve sent @MetropolisLakeOutfitters A message but haven’t heard back maybe when I do he has some scratch and dent or something that makes it affordable. 

Sorry, got surprisingly swamped the last several days for this to be August.  

• 9 months later...

Old thread, but relevant title...

Used in a 2-channel system, I first owned RP-280F, then RF-7 II, and now currently RF-7 III. 

I found the RP-280F to be very bright/piercing at times, the RF-7 II less so, and the RF-7 III to be pretty even and neutral.  This is all just my opinion based on the 3 different pair in the same room with the same electronics.

For those with direct experience, how do the RP-8000F sound vs. the RP-280F?  Are the RP-8000F (and 6000F) toned down at all in the upper mids and highs vs. the RP-280F?

Reason I ask is because I am thinking about changing L/C/R speakers in the 5.1 system (separate system in different room).  The 8000F or 6000F with the 600C center are in consideration, but are a bit down on the list because of my experience with the RP-280F.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I have the original RF-7s and couldn't be happier. I am waiting for the RF-7 IVs to come out because they surely won't be as "bright" as the earlier models.  

I'm guessing you'll have to wait about 8 years.

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

That's okay...I was being facetious. :)

EVERY new model of Klipsch speakers are reported to be not as bright as the earlier ones--Those 1946 K-horns musta been real ear-bleeders!   😲

It probably started out as one person saying that. Then the bandwagon jumping began. People also want an excuse to buy new stuff.

• Like 1