Cooling fans

SonicSeeker

I just purchased a Marantz SR6012 for home theater use and these run very hot.

I am sure they are designed this way but it still freaks me out.

I have it in an open rack, see attached picture, and wondered if there would be any need or benefit to adding some airflow, as long as I don't hear it.

What say ye.

20180827_181818_resized.jpg

so long as you are good with the fan noise fans are always a good idea. Too hot is in the neighborhood of not being able to leave the palm of you hand on the heat sink for less than about 4 seconds. That will give you a way to judge. A laser temp guage is handy to have so you can be exact with a manufacturer.

There is no benefit per se.  They were designed to operate that way and it looks like you placed the 7012 in a well ventilated cab.  If you wanted to you could put a half-inch rubber spacer on the feet to allow more airflow into the AVR.  That's what I do with my AVR's.

If you run the 7012 in ECO Mode it will run cooler.  I run mine on Auto which really does cut back on power for TV watching, then ramps up for louder sections.  If you run ECO OFF it will run hot.

FYI I don't think it hurts it to run ECO OFF and you will get much more instant power for demanding audio passages.

Check with @Youthman for a recommendation on a cooling fan.  I don't think he uses one but his Youtube subscribers have one they all seem to recommend.

I’ve used on my marantz 5 and 7 channel amps I would use a laptop cooler. Just set it on top and the ones I had used a blue led light. It was not very bright and they did the job. Most amps to need to run with some warmth for the caps and other things in it to run at specs. Plus they are super quiet
Just plug them into a usb plug jack

• Moderators

Yes, I have the Denon AVR-X6400H and the Marantz SR8012 (owned by same company) and they both run REALLY hot as well.  MANY of my subscribers recommended the Aircom T9.  They aren't cheap but they all say it keeps their receiver really cool.  I will likely be buying one myself but after I make a few more upgrades.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Youthman said:

Yes, I have the Denon AVR-X6400H and the Marantz SR8012 (owned by same company) and they both run REALLY hot as well.  MANY of my subscribers recommended the Aircom T9.  They aren't cheap but they all say it keeps their receiver really cool.  I will likely be buying one myself but after I make a few more upgrades.

It is even shown sitting on my amp in the add.

Exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered it.

Thanks Youthman.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:27 PM, SonicSeeker said:

I just purchased a Marantz SR6012 for home theater use and these run very hot.

I am sure they are designed this way but it still freaks me out.

I have it in an open rack, see attached picture, and wondered if there would be any need or benefit to adding some airflow, as long as I don't hear it.

What say ye.

20180827_181818_resized.jpg

bump