Which Tubes do you run in VRD's & why ?

joessportster

I have a pair on the way and praying fedex is kind to me.

Thought I would get some kind of idea what you fellas are running in your VRD's these days

I have a decent selection of  12AU7, and 12AT7 I will be playing with, Am curious about the power tubes and the rest that you may care to share.  I had a pair of Thor Audio TAD 30 amps years ago running EL34 and as memory strikes I felt they were wonderful sounding amps What say you ?

• Like 1

For me the king of the crop octet is the western electric 350b... but an quad of those is gonna be about $3000.

I am pretty darn happy with the psvane top tier kt88's... I never felt the need to step up to the kt120's.

44072664062_b62ef327ae_k.jpg

I've not tried el's as yet, but I have run kt66's which are good, but I preferred more output for the lowend of the 88's. I would like to try some of those Russians, but I really can't imagine them being better than the psvanes.

• Like 1

These:

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/ruby-kt88-v-str.html

These used to be called the  Penta Labs KT88SC.  

I didn't care for the 350b as much but mine are Valve Art.  They are a sweeter sound with a bit less power as I remember.  

You might ask for comments on tubes for the 12au7 and 12ax7 slots.  (no at7) 

I know there has been quite a bit of valve rolling around here with these!   The are a Valve Rollers Dream after all!

You will get the most effect at the 12au7 slot.  I stopped searching once introduced to the CBS 7318 (can't find these anywhere that I know) but my 2nd choice would be the Mullard 10M.  Try some 5751 tubes in place of the 12ax7.  I went back to a Brimar in the end but you can't go wrong with vintage Mullards in both slots.   Eventually, I stopped experimenting as I was pretty satisfied and moved on to improving and fixing other problems.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Schu said:

For me the king of the crop octet is the western electric 350b... but an quad of those is gonna be about $3000.

I am pretty darn happy with the psvane top tier kt88's... I never felt the need to step up to the kt120's.

I've not tried el's as yet, but I have run kt66's which are good, but I preferred more output for the lowend of the 88's. I would like to try some of those Russians, but I really can't imagine them being better than the psvanes.

I meant to ask if you ever compared the Psvane to the Penta Labs?

I tried the PSvane top 12ax7 tubes but went back to vintage.

Well, the at7 has lower gain but you might like the results.  I imagine this amp can take just about anything you throw at it but it wouldn't hurt to check with Craig.  You might try some 5751 tubes too.  I had more fun rolling the AU7 slot than the ax7... it made a lot more difference in the sound.  I kept notes on this... if I find them I'll share.

1 hour ago, muel said:

Well, the at7 has lower gain but you might like the results.  I imagine this amp can take just about anything you throw at it but it wouldn't hurt to check with Craig.  You might try some 5751 tubes too.  I had more fun rolling the AU7 slot than the ax7... it made a lot more difference in the sound.  I kept notes on this... if I find them I'll share.

That would be nice. Thanks

Come on Guys I need some info Here.................................

The VRD are in the house and singing sweetly I am pretty confident this was my missing link, now if I can just get a decent set of tubes in them

I am thinking I just may stick with the KT88 if I can figure out which tubes I currently have they say tube depot premium but no maker JJ, Sovtek, Valve Art etc...

The 12 au / 12ax are certainly due for a swap out jj in both spots a bit bright / hard........................The amps are doing low level and LOUD extremely well plenty of impact 

Lets get those recommendations for the 12's rolling

• Like 1

Talk to @paul79 and he can lead you down the rabbit hole of tubes for the VRD's.  You and anything in your wallet will soon be parted happily.

Here are my favorites:

12au7 slot - CBS 7318  (DONE!)

12ax7 slot - Brimar CV4035 or Mullard (10M if you can find good ones or Longplate, halo getter late 50's)

Others I've liked:

12au7 -

RCA Clear tops (don't laugh... I really like it for rock and it is cheaper than it could be.  I'm still using them in the ST-45 VRD amp )

Mullard M8136 military boxplates

Brimar CV4034

Amperex Bugle Boy - long plate

12ax7 - 

Mullard 10m

Mullard CV4004 (NOT the made in Russia stuff) -- mine is the CV4004 KQDD/K

Telefunken (smooth or ribbed... not enough difference to care.  These are bright but may or may not be good synergy with your system)

I'd suggest getting some old Mullard military or Brimars and you can just be done.  Spend your money once and move on to other things in your system.

AAHHHH HA HA HA HA HA!

Yeah right!

• Like 1

In also have a lot of love for the 7318... it's just different than the telefunken which are my outright preference.

Splitting hairs here even though the sound is different.

That's why I think I am still using the psvane natures... they tickle that perfect price point because of the consumable nature of tubes. They aren't great once in a lifetime tubes, but they are solid, sound good and don't fail.

I have most all the others mentioned above,  but I am saving those  :)

• Like 1

I found the small signal tubes make the most difference.  That's where you would want to put the $$.  I have been happy with Bugle boys in both 12ax and 12au most recently.  I have the Genelax Kt88s now but others like Valve art and Penta labs have been fine too

joessporster, any time you are ready :)

Here is my take on my favorites in the VRD's:

CBS 7318 (12AU7) - nice all the time and for all music. It just does the job with tone and composure.

Valvo Long Plate 12AU7 (ring getter, various D getter with and without foil strip) - the most resolution without any brightness. The different versions have slightly different sound, but all pretty close. This is my preferred tube in the 12AU7 slot currently. Image focus is spooky and huge! This is the Audiophile 12AU7. It does everything better than the Telefunken, and with no brightness at all.

Valvo E80CC (12AU7 Sub but be careful. The heater current is much higher, although plenty safe in the VRD's) This tube makes images huge. More forward, but everything is in the room. Very cool sounding tube to roll in occasionally.

The 10M Mullard 12AX7 - Big, warm, slamming, focused, tons of drive. This is THE tube to put here, and yes, it is MUCH better than a standard Mullard that looks just like it. I don't know why, but it is.

Sylvania Triple Mica Grey Plate 5751 (12AX7 Sub) - My second favorite, deeper soundstage, very quiet, nice focus and detail. A delicate/intimate sounding tube. Black plate version is about the same, just less warmth.

1 hour ago, paul79 said:

joessporster, any time you are ready :)

Here is my take on my favorites in the VRD's:

CBS 7318 (12AU7) - nice all the time and for all music. It just does the job with tone and composure.

Valvo Long Plate 12AU7 (ring getter, various D getter with and without foil strip) - the most resolution without any brightness. The different versions have slightly different sound, but all pretty close. This is my preferred tube in the 12AU7 slot currently. Image focus is spooky and huge! This is the Audiophile 12AU7. It does everything better than the Telefunken, and with no brightness at all.

Valvo E80CC (12AU7 Sub but be careful. The heater current is much higher, although plenty safe in the VRD's) This tube makes images huge. More forward, but everything is in the room. Very cool sounding tube to roll in occasionally.

The 10M Mullard 12AX7 - Big, warm, slamming, focused, tons of drive. This is THE tube to put here, and yes, it is MUCH better than a standard Mullard that looks just like it. I don't know why, but it is.

Sylvania Triple Mica Grey Plate 5751 (12AX7 Sub) - My second favorite, deeper soundstage, very quiet, nice focus and detail. A delicate/intimate sounding tube. Black plate version is about the same, just less warmth.

9 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Thanks Guys now for the hunt....................Unless someone here has spares they wish to part with :) 

I have 3 Sylvania Gold Triple Mica Grey Plate 5751, section matched.  If you are interested.  PM me.  I have a bunch of other 5751 as well

Joe, I can tell you what I am running but I can't tell you why beyond they sound good and while expensive did not break the bank

Telefunken 12ax7 smooth plate pair
Mullard CV4003/12au7 box plate pair

I've got some NOS Mullard's in the rectifier that Craig says are the best. I've got the standard Valve Arts in for the power tubes

There's no question that reading descriptions of how a particular tube "sounds" can influence our perception.  I've been involved in lots of tube "shootouts" over the years and, in many cases, when tubes are compared in a blind (to the listener) and level matched scenario, the listener prefers a tube which was described as having the supposed worst characteristics over the one which is claimed to be the best.  Perhaps Dave, or one of the other psych guys, can elaborate on why this is so.

Maynard

That's just an inappropriate way of looking at data.

One CAN NOT analyze several data points and attempt to extrapolate an overall consensus... that leads to errors and distortions of the mean of information.

I also put very little weight on the "double blind" testing...