Rounding up all the truckers out there....

Mighty Favog

In the next year or so I plan on buying a tool box for the house. Chances are (cause I wear a silly grin) it'll about 73-inches long, botton unit only and weigh between 600 and 900 lbs.

I also plan on buying a riding lawn mower. 42-46" with a 20hp motor. The driveway is about 120 ft. long at a 14-degree grade.

With the gear ratio unknown, with said lawn mower/tracker be able to pull this beast of a tool box up this hill to the garage?? I also plan on getting some sort of 4WD vehicle for the winters to get up this Olympic sized ski jump of a drive way....

No, I don't think that will work. I wouldn't trust a belt driven lawn mower for sure. One section of my driveway is 14 deg and another section is 15 deg. I have a 22hp riding mower and I don't get on those while cutting grass. I have a 25hp Yanmar 4x4 tractor with a 3pt finishing mower for those steep sections.

I bought Joe's monster box from him.  When it arrived here, I had to use my front loader (full sized JCB backhoe/loader) to 'crane" it off the trailer and then stand it upright.  

Carried it (via backhoe) up gravel driveway and placed about three feet away from garage door where we put some plywood down on the gravel so it would ramp up the 2" or so lip from gravel to floor.

I like the idea of a winch over your mower.  I'm sure you would be concerned about what happens if the cable snapped!

Perhaps you know someone that flies one of those crane helicopters??  If you want to pay to get my JCB there, we can crane it and then go dig a bunch of holes in your yard just for kicks & grins.  (it's actually a fair amount of fun if you've never done it, I find it very relaxing)

BTW, these are his pictures, I didn't take any as I was pulling it off.  I did expect it to be a multi-person job but with some patience, I was able to get it off the trailer and to the garage single handed.

Just had another thought come to me....  when you buy it....  will they have delivery service??

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

I have pulled out 14 stumps (after cutting the roots as much as possible) with my 22HP Cub Cadet zero turn. With me on it it weighs 800 pounds and with a running start it knocks the crap out of those stumps. Your tool box would be a piece of cake.

On second thought I could slowly push it up by hand.

JJK

That kind of brings up a thought that I had....

Could you in essence, push it up with a vehicle?

This certainly has some dangers....  but imagine two of you in front of the box "steering" it while someone you trust (100%) is slowly pushing from behind with a truck or something that has the muscle to not only push it up the hill but....(to me just as important) strong enough to hold it in place)

After wrestling this one around with the backhoe, once it was on its wheels, it was not too difficult to move around.  Once I got it off the plywood and onto the concrete garage, one person can wrestle it around.

You certainly don't want it free-wheeling down your driveway.....WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and pancake some 8 year old on their Bigwheel.....

27 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Had another thought.

Wonder if a local towing companies will put it on a flatbed....

Absolutely.  That's how guys around here move the big boxes when they change jobs.  No need to unload them either.  They tie on with a winch, load it on the flat bed, level it out, tie it down and go.  That's about the safest way to move one of those behemoths.

How is it getting to the bottom of the driveway? By truck I would assume. Why wouldn't the delivery company bring it up the driveway? Every giant thing I have bought that has not been local came on a big honking truck to my lamp post by my front walk...and I've got a fairly long driveway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

can you pull the drawers out of the cabinet? 

I'm guessing they can all be removed one way or another.  Both my old one (Craftsman) and the one I just got from Joe (Snapon) have drawers that are removable.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rplace said:

How is it getting to the bottom of the driveway? By truck I would assume. Why wouldn't the delivery company bring it up the driveway? Every giant thing I have bought that has not been local came on a big honking truck to my lamp post by my front walk...and I've got a fairly long driveway.

The initial plan was to rent a trailor and pull it with a Toyota 4Runner (Class 3 hitch I think. It has a 7-pin light connection but no brake controller inside). I read on line that electric brakes aren't needed till the trailor's GVWR reaches 3,000 lbs. But my articulated trailor backing skills are nill to none. 😁 ......I know.....learn. But l'd rsther learn on a level surface first.