Bi-Amp (wire?) with Discrete Amp Channel Receiver - Any Benefits?

tylersmith

Hi all

Ok...I know the tendency that this topic has to start a flame war / massive debate. This isn't my intent. Just a curiosity I was thinking about recently as I discovered that my receiver uses "discrete amp channels". And I wondered if there were marginal benefits to be had from bi-amping (or bi-wiring, I think some would probably prefer I call it.)

Basically, if I run 2 sets of speaker cables from my receiver - 2 amp channels per speaker - remove the jumper from the binding posts - into the 2 sets of binding posts on my speakers - would this offer any gain in performance, since my receiver is employing "discrete amp channels"? 

Just curious people's thoughts - always trying to learn more and get the most out of my equipment. Thanks in advance!

T

I had tried something similar (if I'm reading correctly) with a pair of RB-5s and a Panasonic digital home theater receiver...my understanding with my particular set up is that on 2 channel, two amps are used but if I went the bi-amp/wire route, the other amps would be active...

what I perceived from trying this was a bit more volume and perhaps a touch more clarity...I fully admit that this may have been the placebo effect of trying this out...

Good luck and I'm sure many more with far more knowledge than me will chime in...

Bill

Hi Bill - I read the thread you posted - thank you for sharing it. Very interesting. 

I take it the receiver you were using for your experiment was utilizing "Discrete Amplifier Channels"? The dual amp and triple amp drive technology graphics you posted make me think maybe this is the case?

Appreciate your help here - I'm definitely interested in trying this with my receiver - wonder if I'll have similar results.

Thanks!

T

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, tylersmith said:

I wondered if there were marginal benefits to be had from bi-amping

I passive bi-amp some of my stereo systems when using a bi-amp capable receiver connected to speakers employing split passive crossovers. Color code and/or carefully label your wires and follow the receiver manufacturer's connection instructions.

IMG_1511.JPG.7bbf321de0fd44efb518c8c3c3f3565b.JPG

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, tylersmith said:

Basically, if I run 2 sets of speaker cables from my receiver - 2 amp channels per speaker - remove the jumper from the binding posts - into the 2 sets of binding posts on my speakers - would this offer any gain in performance, since my receiver is employing "discrete amp channels"? 

No. 

Bi-wire and Bi-amping are different.  Use the proper gauge wire for the speaker and there is no need to Bi-wire.  Bi-amping is using a seperate amp for the HF and LF driver.  Many of us have tried passive bi-amping and the result was nil.  Anything that can't be solidly proven after all the year by the majority of experts and people is of little benefit.  Spend the money on room Tx's.

• Like 1