I scratched my La Scala IIs and I’m sick about it

JFHSQT

Thanks for all of the awesome and detailed replies. 

I believe it is oil walnut veneer, though I'm not sure what the difference is. The grain is raised on the veneer and some of the scratches are through the raised dark grain, so that part of the wood is "broken."

I will give some of these great recommendations a try this weekend, likely starting with 314carpenter's suggestions and follow up here to let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

42 minutes ago, juniper said:

if you dont want to sand them with oil, take a walnut and rub it on the scratches. it works well

Do a search on the net for repairing scratches in wood, some good ideas. The walnut trick was one of the methods, I would sand as a last resort if not careful you easily do more harm than good. Would post a link but clipboard is still lost since my tablet upgraded.

I have owned over 50 speakers, mostly JBL and Klipsch.  I use fillers only when absolutely necessary. Dry sand when using filler, and wet sand with oil when not. Lucky for us Klipsch uses a very high quality veneer and this allows for my technique or any of the other methods recommended here as well. Like @pzannucci said, if you use the technique I suggested, just make sure you clean up around the repair area with a tshirt type cloth, very lightly water dampened, to remove the excess filler from the undamaged areas. The nylon scraper really aids in the application and controls the spread. The filler will have a very short working time, so make as small of a batch as you can and work quickly. 

Another method not mentioned is using Briwax. It is colored and fills minor scratches well. This product can easily be removed if unsatisfied with the results. Carnauba wax is the main ingredient, and offers slightly better protection than oil finish alone, but again requires annual maintenance.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:25 PM, Schu said:

Let an accomplished wood worker do the repair :)

++   I have sanded out scratches and had good and bad luck. Not trying to offend just if you don't the the experience it is to easy to make a mistake. Start out with the wrong grit, said in the wrong direction and you could be in trouble. If your an experienced woodwork you have a feel and the knowledge to do it right, if not it can be to easy to get in trouble. IMO 

On 8/31/2018 at 6:40 AM, Ljk said:

++   I have sanded out scratches and had good and bad luck. Not trying to offend just if you don't the the experience it is to easy to make a mistake. Start out with the wrong grit, said in the wrong direction and you could be in trouble. If your an experienced woodwork you have a feel and the knowledge to do it right, if not it can be to easy to get in trouble. IMO 

I am inclined to find a pro to help out with this, as with my luck I'd end up doing even more damage :(

On 8/29/2018 at 11:46 PM, ratcobob said:

Then go to the glass shop and have a couple of pieces cut.

Or live in fear of feeling this way When it happens again.

I have this crazy idea that if I call BDI they'd be able to custom cut me the same kind of tempered glass finish I have on my BDI Corridor. I am sure they aren't equipped to do that, so I'm hoping a local glass shop can approximate the same thing.

Tops wouldn't have to be tempered and it will cost a lot less. I got some glass cut here in Chattanooga, for a top on a trunk used as an end table. They ground the edges, which was fine for us. Ithe single was only a few dollars.

Bruce

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 7:50 PM, JFHSQT said:

I have this crazy idea that if I call BDI they'd be able to custom cut me the same kind of tempered glass finish I have on my BDI Corridor. I am sure they aren't equipped to do that, so I'm hoping a local glass shop can approximate the same thing.

I have black granite slabs I purchased from a local supply store for creating tops for mine. Beware granite is slighly more difficult to cut than glass 😉 but does offer more color choices.

• Like 1

There is a technique that I have used in the past successfully.  You can raise existing wood grain utilizing water and an iron:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/repair-wood-grain-rise-steam-99306.html

Then you can use a dark walnut stain (sparingly!) using a soft cloth, and laid down along the grain, in your case front to back.  Give it a little stain, then almost immediately wipe the same area with a clean, lint free cloth.  The microfibers work well for this.  You can get these scratches to nearly invisible at a foot away.  You can blend this way several times if needed.

Next:  Buy some tinted safety glass cut to the size of the tops.  Never take them off.

3 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

There is a technique that I have used in the past successfully.  You can raise existing wood grain utilizing water and an iron:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/repair-wood-grain-rise-steam-99306.html

I have used that technique on solid wood that has been dented but I am not sure it will work on a scratch in plywood. 

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine had some giant scratches in his khorns. A friend of mine who is a great carpenter and faux painter fixed it so it didn't even show anymore. If they were mine I'd find a local experienced veneer and faux wood grain painter. They have crazy skills.

• Like 1