How 2 maintain Tx residency for college?

USNRET

Not clear on when you would be moving to Greece.  I assume after he graduates?  He is going to finish HS in Texas right?

With his scores and AP credits he is likely in line for some decent scholarships so he isn't going to be looking at full list price anywhere.  It might not be his favorite school but he might find a full ride somewhere.  AP can also translate into credit hours depending on the school.  One of my kids just started her Freshman year with 25 hours of credit already due to AP scores.  Also, you should fill out the FAFSA... even the wealthy should fill it out (can start Oct 1).  Seriously!  

The Texas deal is awesome and you should take advantage if you can.  His education through undergrad and medical school could cost half a million dollars... it is a huge benefit to him if he owes as little of that as possible at the end (well, duh)!  

My thoughts... 

For your increased income that could cover a little extra travel back and forth... son could come visit or vice versa.

Most decent colleges have lots of opportunities for studying abroad and you can sometimes even create your own program.  You will likely find an opportunity for him to come study in Greece as a Texas student for a semester or year.  Maybe even at the school you mentioned.  

You know your son's maturity level... you have to answer for yourself if he can handle you being so far away while he lives in Texas.

I like your problem... it is a good one to have!

Oh, and if he has to prove that he has his own income to support himself living in Texas then have him incorporate in Texas?  He'd pay more in SS tax but benefits outweigh the cost.  Maybe you could also pay him to maintain the property you own in Texas.  Lawyers would have to chime in to be sure all is OK.  (or knowledgeable "not a lawyers")

• Like 1

2 hours ago, muel said:

Not clear on when you would be moving to Greece

I would go in a month or two. Mom would stay in our house now until he graduates May 2019. He is doing volunteer work at the hospital and just got his CNA certification. After 5/2019 Mom and sister would move to Greece. If we do it we would then sell everything we own (except his car) to save the insurance, registration, mortgage etc. I have been in contact with UTA and need to continue asking more questions of them.

Here's a thought... buy a duplex in TX.  He lives in one side.  Rent pays most of the mortgage.  I'm betting the payment on the mortgage would be a lot less than out of state tuition difference and you have equity when you are done.  Make a minimum down payment (so he doesn't show too much equity), put his name on it with yours so you can get an owner occupant loan at better rate.  Just thinking...

Lot to know about following fair housing laws and such... this is harder than it used to be.  You could pay a management company (maybe you know someone who manages property?).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Not to sidetrack this thread, but would someone mind PMing me a link to the Texas laws that aid students financially that we speak of here?   I have a friend from CA that moved to Texas a couple years ago and I don't think he is aware of what is being discussed here.  

Thanks

Posted here in case others cared. This is from a state site as each college has it in different ways on their sites' but I would think these are the rules the go by at least state schools, private might be different??
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/9054.PDF?CFID=75314517&CFTOKEN=13839274

• Moderators
On 8/29/2018 at 8:43 AM, dbomberger said:

A friend of mine who is a CPA along with her husband had their daughter established residency by purchasing a cheap undeveloped residential lot in Austin or thereabouts.  Daughter was eligible for in-state tuition, graduated and sold the lot.  Some variation of that might work for you. She lived in another state prior to arriving in Austin for college.  

How long ago?

The property taxes on a "lot" in Austin can easily be 5 to 10K a year.

• Moderators
On 8/28/2018 at 7:51 PM, USNRET said:

I am considering a 5 year stint in Greece.
I have a senior in a Texas High School who wants to attend UTA / A&M and going to med school (hopeful surgeon)
I am eligible for the Texas Hazel Wood Act that pays tuition and fees for 150 hrs that I can give BUT I have to actually live in Texas when he attends so that is out. Lil sister can use it later.
So in order to get in-state tuition we have to show, for example
Residency through high school graduation requirements: • Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and • Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and • Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date of the semester in which you enroll at the University.

I would like my son to come with us for at least a year enrolling in an American English taught university in Athens so he can have that experience but not have to pay out of state (double) the cost when he comes back to enter UTA /A&M.

The only way I can see this is to rent a Texas domicile in his name for the time spent in Greece. 

Thoughts?

Well first off, if he really wants to do premed he doesn't want to be anywhere near A&M.

He really should be looking at Rice or Baylor.

A year away in Greece is going to put him on a five year undergrad plan if he is looking at premed, 

He has grades for Naval Academy, they have an awesome premed program through Chemistry Department. 

Not only does residency impact tuition at UT and A&M, it also plays an important part in acceptance criteria.  Edit:  But he would be there until graduation May, 2019 so getting accepted wont come into play.

I like the duplex idea, it is a "business" so that would work.

• Moderators
On 8/29/2018 at 9:27 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

This is your problem.  You want him to live in Greece for a year, come back to Texas and be immediately qualified.  I don't know the intricacies of the rules for college tuition, but in the law there are differences between the concepts of domicile and residences.  You can have multiple residences, whereas your domicile is usually thought to be limited to one place.  For example, when you go to Greece, planning to come back to Texas in 5 years, your domicile would still be considered Texas, but you would have a residence in Greece.  Sometimes, the terms are interchanged loosely.

For purposes of tuition, I have a hunch (and nothing more) that they are referring to residence, and not domicile.  There are undoubtedly provisions for temporary absences which will not defeat a showing of Texas residence, such as a trip to Mardi Gras, etc.  However, an uninterrupted absence for the entire year seems like it would defeat his claim to being a Texas resident during that period.

If Mom lives in Texas until he is admitted to a state university, and you pay tuition soon after acceptance, you are locked in.

Semester abroad 2nd year of college seems to be much better course, but I think he is still going to burn a year and very little is going to transfer as part of a solid premed program.

98 and mostly AP classes, he really needs to take a look at Rice.

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

How long ago?

The property taxes on a "lot" in Austin can easily be 5 to 10K a year.

Just sold the lot in the last year. Taxes were low, I don't know for a fact in was in Austin, that's just where she went to school.  Worked out great is all I know. Father was a partner in Deloitte, so knew the "ropes".

• 1 year later...
On 8/29/2018 at 10:49 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

Not to sidetrack this thread, but would someone mind PMing me a link to the Texas laws that aid students financially that we speak of here?   I have a friend from CA that moved to Texas a couple years ago and I don't think he is aware of what is being discussed here.  

Thanks

The main thing is to provide students with a comfortable and free life in terms of the educational process. I can help with this, at universities you very often have to work with research papers, you can write your research papers at PapersOwl, this will save your time and you can improve your knowledge.

Edited by Sean Bancroft

2 hours ago, Sean Bancroft said:

The main thing is to provide students with a comfortable and free life in terms of the educational process.

To me the main thing is to find out which universities are still bastions of free thought (the initial purpose of these institutions; but quickly disappearing). Support academic freedom and allow persons of all political or social beliefs to come on to the campus and present their point of view safely. They should also teach critical thinking and deductive reasoning, even for those seeking a BA undergrad degree.

Oberlin College in Ohio, is a good example of a higher education institution that has lost its way in the last decade and will disappear completely if they continue on the path that they have chosen to seek out (see: Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin and Dean Raimondo in the recent news).

My youngest daughter did her first undergrad degree at the University of Victoria and had one professor actually announce in class to his students this 'don't ever tell me if you are from Alberta or you won't do well in this class'. Being just 18, she stayed quiet at first and did very well in this fool's class. However, when the UVIC Alumni Association makes their annual phone call looking for a donation they never get one from her.

Wb