Need advice on transporting speakers

makos

I will be driving 6 hrs each way to pick up a pair of Chorus IIs, and want to make sure they arrive home unscathed. They do not have boxes and will be riding in the back of my 10 year old Tacoma pick-up with lousy shocks and thus subject to infinite bumps and vibration.

I have transported speakers before, but never this far and speakers this heavy. My current thinking is to wrap them in moving blankets and sit them face down on some 1" thick Styrofoam insulation sheets.

Is there anything else? My truck's bed does have a rubberized mat, so sliding around will not be an issue.

Thanks ... Mike

9 minutes ago, windashine said:

Is rain in the forecast - that is, any fronts moving through and crossing your itinerary - hint = tarp

Not currently, but, in the Mid-Atlantic in summer rain is always possible. My bed has a fold down cover that keeps out 99% of rain and I plan to have some heavy duty plastic yard waste bags on hand just in case. 

10 minutes ago, Brac said:

I usually place them face to face with a blanket between cover all sides with blankets and strap down securely, just a bit of wiggle for 6 hours would leave big deep marks

I could be wrong, but I think I have read somewhere that it's best to have the weight of the speaker magnets being borne by the mounts during transport. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

19 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Always chuckled at that scene.  Her, not knowing what she was doing,  could have caused their atoms to merge with that little leap.  Everyone knows that when beaming, you stay on your own pad.  

• Like 1

I’d pull the horns and remove the drivers. Pretty sure they a accessible from the front. The horns are plastic and the driver mounts can break. 

Cover them well. You do not want the speakers to get wet. That will do bad things to the MDF. 

Good luck! Road trips to fetch new speakers are the best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, makos said:

I will be driving 6 hrs each way to pick up a pair of Chorus IIs, and want to make sure they arrive home unscathed. They do not have boxes and will be riding in the back of my 10 year old Tacoma pick-up with lousy shocks and thus subject to infinite bumps and vibration.

I have transported speakers before, but never this far and speakers this heavy. My current thinking is to wrap them in moving blankets and sit them face down on some 1" thick Styrofoam insulation sheets.

Is there anything else? My truck's bed does have a rubberized mat, so sliding around will not be an issue.

Thanks ... Mike

Do you have a spare mattress or a blow up one to throw in the back.  Make sure they ride on some nice cush for the journey. How many sheets of styrofoam do you have? Also, bumps tend to be lessened when driving at speed, so keep your foot on the gas.   :emotion-21:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Do you have a spare mattress or a blow up one to throw in the back.  Make sure they ride on some nice cush for the journey. How many sheets of styrofoam do you have? Also, bumps tend to be lessened when driving at speed, so keep your foot on the gas.   :emotion-21:

Don't have a spare mattress, but have access to pretty much all the styrofoam I need. We stockpile it at my workplace for recycling, so it won't be missed. How much do you think is needed?

15 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Go to Costco, get a cheap memory foam mattress.  Wrap in harbor freight blankets with tape.   Done.  What you do with the mattress thereafter 😏

Hmm... Will look it this for sure.

Besides the above I will mention RAIN again.
On the way to this year's meet in Hope I transported a pair of speakers that had been sold to a forum member. ZERO rain forecast. I had them wrapped in plastic wrap, moving blankets, strapped, tied...they weren't moving.
I got to my Mom's place about 2 hours from Hope to hang out. Should I take the trouble to undo all that and put in garage? Check weather...zero rain; not worth the work. Bottom line it rained, water collected in truck bed and ruined the speakers.
Forum buyer didn't get what he wanted and I gave them away to someone else (buyer had first right of freebies)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

He did?  Wow, what a guy!

You could have had some soggy crap for free and you know it. Why didn't you haul my junk back up north shippie? I will have to check in with B.I.L. to see if they even worked. His F.I.L. was to make new cabinets as he is a furniture maker....sure.

12 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Besides the above I will mention RAIN again.
On the way to this year's meet in Hope I transported a pair of speakers that had been sold to a forum member. ZERO rain forecast. I had them wrapped in plastic wrap, moving blankets, strapped, tied...they weren't moving.
I got to my Mom's place about 2 hours from Hope to hang out. Should I take the trouble to undo all that and put in garage? Check weather...zero rain; not worth the work. Bottom line it rained, water collected in truck bed and ruined the speakers.
Forum buyer didn't get what he wanted and I gave them away to someone else (buyer had first right of freebies)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! My tonneau cover keeps out almost all moisture even after torrential rains and I still plan to put them in large heavy plastics bags before transport.