Need advice on transporting speakers

makos

10 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I would like to hear more on the vertical vs flat on back / front and voice coil magnet knowing that disassembly would be best.

Me too! Is disassembly as simple as removing screws and disconnecting a few leads? If so probably worth the effort.

2 hours ago, makos said:

I will be driving 6 hrs each way to pick up a pair of Chorus IIs, and want to make sure they arrive home unscathed. They do not have boxes and will be riding in the back of my 10 year old Tacoma pick-up

Congrats on the Chorus II's.  might be easier (and cheaper) just to rent a SUV ... $35 in Florida ... but might be a rip-off in your location :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, makos said:

My truck's bed does have a rubberized mat, so sliding around will not be an issue.

Styrofoam sliding on the rubber mat, or speakers sliding on the Styrofoam.....?

If you don't strap them down, at least put them up against the cab. You can control how quickly you accelerate and turn, but not necessarily how hard you might have to brake.

22 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

Styrofoam sliding on the rubber mat, or speakers sliding on the Styrofoam.....?

If you don't strap them down, at least put them up against the cab. You can control how quickly you accelerate and turn, but not necessarily how hard you might have to brake.

Mat is spongy and highly textured, nothing heavy has ever moved an inch during transport, but I don't think I have ever had to slam on my brakes either. Good point about the styro though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, USNRET said:

I would like to hear more on the vertical vs flat on back / front and voice coil magnet knowing that disassembly would be best.

I hauled a pair of Chorus II to  central Illinois. Placed on wool blanket with heavy cardbpard underneath. Put them on their backs, drivers are front mounted so they are totally supported. Mine rested in the back of my Blazer, so they weren't wrapped, but you will probably want them wrapped. I had another blanket between them. I had a piece of mdf cut to fit between the wheel wells, so it covered the back seat hinges and gave a flat surface to slide them in.

Bruce

• Like 1

I have moved dozens of speakers from small to MCM 1900's and for things like chorus, Cornwall, Fortes etc I simply put a blanket down and lay them on their backs on it. I put cushions of some sort between them and to the sides, whatever I have handy and will not mar veneer and this is usually lots of big bubbles bubble wrap and blankets. I have a full sized van so I do not worry about weather and I slide them all the way forward so sudden braking will not cause them to slam forward. If I have a lot of stuff and have to use a trailer to I make sure there is no rain in the forecast and do not pick up until bright sunny skies are there.

You are going to damage them more loading and unloading and bringing them in and out of houses than transporting has been my experience. But then I have to move everything by myself most of the time so bring a helper if you don't have the muscle.

Great choice by the way I like the Chorus over Cornwalls and Fortes any day.

• Like 2

=== sheesh- this ain’t that big a deal. Wrap them in double 55 gallon trash bags and tape prior to wrapping in Heavy moving blankets. Those alone should provide 3-4 inches of padding for each speaker. I’m talking Heavy professional moving blankets, not the bed blanket crap some call moving blankets. Bungee both together so they are “as one”. Strap down so they can’t shift. Unless you’re planning on a bit of off-roading along the way it seems hard to imagine the drivers breaking free from the cabinet. To insure further safety and the respect of of other drivers as to the value of your load place “Klipsch on Board” stickers in your windows. Seems simple enough — 

1 hour ago, richieb said:

I’m talking Heavy professional moving blankets, not the bed blanket crap some call moving blankets.

These are dirt cheap at Harbor Freight if there's a location by you.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=moving+blanket

• Like 1