Optimal speaker positioning and setup

superkyle1721

Hey guys first off thanks to those who supported me and helped my decide on a set of rf-7iii towers and rc-64iii center. Unfortunately I can’t afford to upgrade my receiver (Sony dn1060) or my surrounds (Polk rtia A3) or my sub (Polk 505) . I’ve been doing a lot of reading and I hear that the rf7 speakers are very touchy with distance from the wall. I’m not sure I have developed an ear for proper positioning so I am looking for help. 

My room is 20WX16deep vaulted ceiling starting at 10’ and cloning to around 16ish feet. Wood floors with a large area rug. What is the best way to ensure I position/optimize my purchase? Any ideas? 

• Moderators

Congrats on the purchase superkyle!  The best advice I can give is each room is different and has different acoustic properties.  It's best to try different distances from the wall and different amounts of toe in (angling the tweeter towards your listening position).  I toe my RF7 III to where the tweeter is aiming just behind my listening position.  This provides a huge sound stage and a very enveloping sound in my room.  For distance from the wall, Try 12" - 18" and see how that sounds.

I just Googled Speaker Placement and found a simple graph that shows what I'm talking about.   My wife would not like me placing my RF7 III 2' - 3' from the wall as it would be way too far out into the room.  If I had a dedicated 2ch listening room, it would be different.

Lastly, as you can see in the photo, try to have the distance between the speakers the same distance from each other as they are from your listening position so that it makes an equilateral triangle.

positioning.jpg

17 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Congrats on the purchase superkyle!  The best advice I can give is each room is different and has different acoustic properties.  It's best to try different distances from the wall and different amounts of toe in (angling the tweeter towards your listening position).  I toe my RF7 III to where the tweeter is aiming just behind my listening position.  This provides a huge sound stage and a very enveloping sound in my room.  For distance from the wall, Try 12" - 18" and see how that sounds.

I just Googled Speaker Placement and found a simple graph that shows what I'm talking about.   My wife would not like me placing my RF7 III 2' - 3' from the wall as it would be way too far out into the room.  If I had a dedicated 2ch listening room, it would be different.

Lastly, as you can see in the photo, try to have the distance between the speakers the same distance from each other as they are from your listening position so that it makes an equilateral triangle.

positioning.jpg

Thanks again for the help youthman! It was your reviews and thoughts that really drove home my decision to go with the III. I see a lot of reviews showing speaker plots etc and didn’t know if there was a more scientific method to the madness based on a microphone or just run the speaker auto calibrations and tweak to your liking. 

Edit: unfortunate my room setup/ how I have the speaker ports routed through the wall won’t let me put them in the exact left and right positioning. I think I’m sitting around 11 feet away with the speakers closer to 16 feet apart. Left speaker is s touch farther away from listener than right and love seat blocks some of the sound. Not ideal I know but it’s a functional living room more than just a home theater. Despite me trying the wife really likes the added seating space 

Edited by superkyle1721

• 3 years later...
On 8/29/2018 at 8:37 PM, Youthman said:

positioning.jpg

I had two pair cornwall IV and RF 7 III.. The rf7iii i had 10 " from the wall and angled slightly towards my center and they sounded good. 2 to 3' is way too far out They depends on your accoustic listening area too. I sold the RF7III last week and set up my corns IV and they sound great BUT!!!! I am not adaqpting too well to the 3 way system just yet. (Sooo Today I ordered new RF7 III to put in nect to my TV stand and then the cornwall IV's on the outside about 10' apart. I love3 sounds so much I am going to alternate switching back and forth but mainly use my RF7 III for surround set up with my RC 64III center and two surrounds RP 500S and also have $ ea. RP 500 SA. two in front as atmos settings and two in for rear surrounds set for surround back. My ears has difficult time adapting to the corn IV's 3 way because to me the horns blare a little but I love them if the music is right but I miss the rf7III's I think they are more solid in delivery where the cornIV fills the whole room whereas the RF's delivers solid and yes fills the space but now as freely open as the corns. If I graduate to liking one pair more than the other I will sell a pair. owning two pairs is really a stretch for money spent vs what you need.  BUT To repeat they both are great. ( To mention, I do have hearing loss hi freq) and that's why the corn's mid horns and tweets seem a little hi pitched and if tuened up too high gives me a ringing. Love klipsch no matter what!! I will enjoy both til I have to decide which pair to marry the rest of my life !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Islander said:

Keep in mind that Klipsch speakers were (and are) mostly designed to be placed in or near corners, or at least close to a wall.  RE RF7-IIIs different from Heritage speakers in that regard?

Its those passive radiators and any other rear ported as far as distance.

• Like 1