The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
superkyle1721

Optimal speaker positioning and setup

Hey guys first off thanks to those who supported me and helped my decide on a set of rf-7iii towers and rc-64iii center. Unfortunately I can’t afford to upgrade my receiver (Sony dn1060) or my surrounds (Polk rtia A3) or my sub (Polk 505) . I’ve been doing a lot of reading and I hear that the rf7 speakers are very touchy with distance from the wall. I’m not sure I have developed an ear for proper positioning so I am looking for help. 

My room is 20WX16deep vaulted ceiling starting at 10’ and cloning to around 16ish feet. Wood floors with a large area rug. What is the best way to ensure I position/optimize my purchase? Any ideas? 

Congrats on the purchase superkyle!  The best advice I can give is each room is different and has different acoustic properties.  It's best to try different distances from the wall and different amounts of toe in (angling the tweeter towards your listening position).  I toe my RF7 III to where the tweeter is aiming just behind my listening position.  This provides a huge sound stage and a very enveloping sound in my room.  For distance from the wall, Try 12" - 18" and see how that sounds.

I just Googled Speaker Placement and found a simple graph that shows what I'm talking about.   My wife would not like me placing my RF7 III 2' - 3' from the wall as it would be way too far out into the room.  If I had a dedicated 2ch listening room, it would be different.

Lastly, as you can see in the photo, try to have the distance between the speakers the same distance from each other as they are from your listening position so that it makes an equilateral triangle.

positioning.jpg

17 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Congrats on the purchase superkyle!  The best advice I can give is each room is different and has different acoustic properties.  It's best to try different distances from the wall and different amounts of toe in (angling the tweeter towards your listening position).  I toe my RF7 III to where the tweeter is aiming just behind my listening position.  This provides a huge sound stage and a very enveloping sound in my room.  For distance from the wall, Try 12" - 18" and see how that sounds.

I just Googled Speaker Placement and found a simple graph that shows what I'm talking about.   My wife would not like me placing my RF7 III 2' - 3' from the wall as it would be way too far out into the room.  If I had a dedicated 2ch listening room, it would be different.

Lastly, as you can see in the photo, try to have the distance between the speakers the same distance from each other as they are from your listening position so that it makes an equilateral triangle.

positioning.jpg

Thanks again for the help youthman! It was your reviews and thoughts that really drove home my decision to go with the III. I see a lot of reviews showing speaker plots etc and didn’t know if there was a more scientific method to the madness based on a microphone or just run the speaker auto calibrations and tweak to your liking. 

Edit: unfortunate my room setup/ how I have the speaker ports routed through the wall won’t let me put them in the exact left and right positioning. I think I’m sitting around 11 feet away with the speakers closer to 16 feet apart. Left speaker is s touch farther away from listener than right and love seat blocks some of the sound. Not ideal I know but it’s a functional living room more than just a home theater. Despite me trying the wife really likes the added seating space 

Edited by superkyle1721