How would 1978 Klipschorns compare to new Cornwalls?

ThedukeMW

20 minutes ago, ThedukeMW said:

Try to decide wether to buy 78 Klipschorns or New Cornwalls?

Welcome to the Klipsch forums.  :emotion-19:

+++

I'm curious, what is the price on the 78 Khorns?  I've never heard the Cornwalls so I'm not help on your question.

Room dependent. If you have proper corners with 4 ft walls from corners KHorns. Any less than above starts moving you to Cornwall’s. I had KHorns twice in either a tiny room or one w/o corners both examples sucked now I have Cornwall’s.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@USNRET, like you I tried the same without impressive results and I will be going back to a set of Cornwalls myself.  Best overall solution in my room as well besides heresys which I loved but.....I crave the low bass as well and don't have much room for sub(s).  The Cornwalls sound awesome even at very low volumes when need be.   

Welcome to the forum!

As usual, with a new person, we don't know how much you know, so we will do more defining of terms and explanation than we might otherwise.. 

The Klipschorns would probably need new capacitors.  There are people out there who can do that for you.

Assuming that all of the drivers are good, the Klipschorns would be your best bet, IMHO.  They will produce 3 dB more output for the same input, and less modulation distortion.   Few speakers sound as dynamic as Klipschorns.   Most of us (but not quite all) think fully horn loaded speakers (Klipschorns) sound better than speakers with direct radiators for bass (Cornwalls).

Some people think Cornwalls have punchier bass for Rock.:wacko2:   Others think not.  Even if that is true, turning up the bass control a little when playing Klipschorns will fix that!

The original Cornwall (I) had 3 times the Total Modulation Distortion of the Klipschorns of that time, even at a lower SPL (Sound Pressure Level, i.e., "Volume").  I don't think there is much that can be done to lower modulation distortion in a direct radiator woofer (it has to do with the amount of cone excursion it takes to produce a note at the same pitch and SPL ... the less excursion, the better).  The Klipschorns are the winners hands down in this respect.  By the way, they both use the same woofer, the K33E (if that was used in 1978 -- I think it was).  It's just that the horn loading and corner placement of the Klipschorn provide less excursion, therefore lower modulation distortion.

You MUST have two good corners to use the Klipschorn, ones without obstruction for 4 feet out along both walls of the corner.  Lacking that, you can build artificial corners.

Compared to the new ones, the 1978 Klipschorn had somewhat different (but nearby) crossover points, a metal midrange horn, and the tweeter was mounted on the rear of the baffle board (aimed through a hole, naturally) rather than front mounted.  They probably sounded just about the same.

Try to listen to them both, with a variety of music.

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Klipschorn-Spec-Sheet-v04.pdf

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Cornwall-III-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf

I've been doing this crazy stuff for more than 50 years, and have yet to find speakers that sound better than Klipschorns.  To be fair, I haven't heard the Klipsch Jubilees, which are reputed to sound even better.  I doubt if you could find used Jubilees. 

Good luck!

EDIT: It looks like the woofer could be 1 of 2 models.

https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5cbfef16739445bc76457060528.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/KhornTimeline_635116436015580000.pdf

They are probably both good.

• Like 1

I agree with the above. If your room is well sorted, big enough and has appropriate corners, klipschorn, hands down. I haven't heard the CWIII, but did own the CWII. For my money the Forte III was the better speaker, but that might be a fair comparison with the newer version cornwall.

Shakey

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThedukeMW said:

Try to decide wether to buy 78 Klipschorns or New Cornwalls?

The cost of used Jubilees would be in the same ballpark as new Cornwalls. 

There is currently a stock set for sale in Indianapolis (Colterphoto), at a great price. After he sells his factory version, I will sell my  DIY version.

So Jubilees are within reach. 

Did I forget to mention, those other two are strong competition, but the Jubilees sound better.

Good Luck,

-Tom

The big mid horn that delivers a full house of life like vocals, you either get it or you don't.   Same thing for bass that hits you in the chest from across the room, you either get it, or you don't.    You cant have it both ways from the factory without going black.

Owning a set a CW II's and a set of modded K's, I will say the CWII's are a better plug and play speaker hands down. Funky shaped room, open room to another room, they will sound great with the possibility and likelihood of a bass drone. However, if you like turn the knob up a bit they will start to sound muddy and distorted quicker than the K's.  If you have a little patience and a decent sized room, the K's will deliver a better sound. Heck, some find the K more appealing in sound just on the commanding looks alone and the same can be said for Jubs IMO.

On 8/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, Shakeydeal said:

Good luck. And you know it's mandatory that you post a thread with all the details (with pics!) once you get them home.

Shakey

I promise to post a better picture. Right now I am basking in music. I can’t seam to play enough songs fast enough. Just put the system together a few hours ago. 707B5D16-0B0D-4577-85E8-A311B09109D8.thumb.jpeg.aa5e32b7b8cdd3e0797d620f1bb907ab.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/1/2018 at 11:46 PM, ThedukeMW said:

I promise to post a better picture. Right now I am basking in music. I can’t seam to play enough songs fast enough. Just put the system together a few hours ago. 707B5D16-0B0D-4577-85E8-A311B09109D8.thumb.jpeg.aa5e32b7b8cdd3e0797d620f1bb907ab.jpeg

Congratulations on the new purchase.  I think you will be very happy with the result.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, USNRET said:

Room dependent. If you have proper corners with 4 ft walls from corners KHorns. Any less than above starts moving you to Cornwall’s. I had KHorns twice in either a tiny room or one w/o corners both examples sucked now I have Cornwall’s.

Perfect corners would be nice but IDK how many houses have been built actually square enough for perfect corners. Enclose the backs on the Khorns and they will beat the CWs all day. Easy to do, there's a few threads here, if you can find the one by @davis419bit's easy to follow along.

Mark