bob cries new speaker fabric

Mila1924

Hi,

I've found some old posts about replacing fabric for cornwalls and chorus's, but can find any posts about how to replace the fabric for forte 1's. I ordered the fabric from bob and will get it in a day or two, just wondering how simple or complicated putting it on is. Worst case, if its hard to do, I have a guy here in Austin that works on vintage speakers, but will charge me 50-75 bucks to do it. 

HELP

I thought he only had the Heritage style grill cloth similar to what's on the Heresy, La Scala, Belle and Klipschorn.  If that's what you ordered, it's not going to be easy...or look the same.  I think I would have just used some standard black stretchy grill cloth if I were to ever have to redo something in the Quartet/Forte/Chrorus lineup.

5 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I thought he only had the Heritage style grill cloth similar to what's on the Heresy, La Scala, Belle and Klipschorn.  If that's what you ordered, it's not going to be easy...or look the same.  I think I would have just used some standard black stretchy grill cloth if I were to ever have to redo something in the Quartet/Forte/Chrorus lineup.

@avguytx Hey,  Ya, I don't know, I just told him I have Klipsch forte 1's and I want new fabric, and thats what he is going to send me.  Even if it isn't specifically meant for fortes its going to be better thank the torn and battered fabric thats on there now.  The material should stretch and it should work for my fortes plastic grill.  You just say it'll be hard because it will be difficult to stretch that material?

It will be tough to use that material.  For one it is thicker than the original Forte' fabric and the grills may not seat well and those grill frames have angled bevels along the sides and it will be really tough to get the material to bend and lay flat against them.  I would use whatever Klipsch uses on the new Forte's or something similar from Wendell Fabrics.

7 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

It will be tough to use that material.  For one it is thicker than the original Forte' fabric and the grills may not seat well and those grill frames have angled bevels along the sides and it will be really tough to get the material to bend and lay flat against them.  I would use whatever Klipsch uses on the new Forte's or something similar from Wendell Fabrics.

@Frzninvt  Hi, I had to call bob back and ask about the material he sent me,  he basically said that he is sending me what ralph from duracrest fabrics in using for fortes since the original fabric is discontinued, so I guess if its good enough for the company who actually supplies fabrics for klipsch it will hopefully be good enough for me.  bob also said that the fabric is actually thinner, but also tougher, which would make the stretching more difficult, but at least once it is on there it should all fit back in place.  ill post a pic if I am able to make it work

I’m not sure if it’s the heritage cloth but my Chorus I have a similar type of heritage cloth and they fit fine.
It’s the original cloth that my Chorus II have that I don’t like. Too thick and not black enough and has a sort of sheen to it that I don’t like. a5e01d299dee8bb1c8a0f774da0ed0ba.jpg

The ugly cloth with rough looking badge is the original Chorus II grill leaning on my Chorus I with the better quality heritage looking cloth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I’m not sure if it’s the heritage cloth but my Chorus I have a similar type of heritage cloth and they fit fine.
It’s the original cloth that my Chorus II have that I don’t like. Too thick and not black enough and has a sort of sheen to it that I don’t like. a5e01d299dee8bb1c8a0f774da0ed0ba.jpg

The ugly cloth with rough looking badge is the original Chorus II grill leaning on my Chorus I with the better quality heritage looking cloth

Looks good. Nice upgrade.

• Like 1

@Maximus89 hey, so let me get this right, the grill with the blacker and more textured looking grill is your chorus 1? And that’s the one you like? Is that darker more textured cloth the original or it’s been recently done?  I bought a yard of cloth that looks exactly like the grill in the back (darker grill) for my forte and the one guy in town that works on vintage speakers said it’s not stretchy enough. His suggestion was to use this polyester really stretchy material. I didn’t like the way that looked though, it looked like black pantyhose or something. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mila1924 said:

@Maximus89 hey, so let me get this right, the grill with the blacker and more textured looking grill is your chorus 1? And that’s the one you like? Is that darker more textured cloth the original or it’s been recently done?  I bought a yard of cloth that looks exactly like the grill in the back (darker grill) for my forte and the one guy in town that works on vintage speakers said it’s not stretchy enough. His suggestion was to use this polyester really stretchy material. I didn’t like the way that looked though, it looked like black pantyhose or something. 

If the chorus 1 grill has been newly done, who did it? I want my forte 1s to look like your chorus 1s 

[mention=62903]Maximus89[/mention] hey, so let me get this right, the grill with the blacker and more textured looking grill is your chorus 1? And that’s the one you like? Is that darker more textured cloth the original or it’s been recently done?  I bought a yard of cloth that looks exactly like the grill in the back (darker grill) for my forte and the one guy in town that works on vintage speakers said it’s not stretchy enough. His suggestion was to use this polyester really stretchy material. I didn’t like the way that looked though, it looked like black pantyhose or something. 

I bought them from the previous owner like that. Was definitely not original because I’ve never seen Forte, Chorus, Quartet line of speakers come with that. The cloth was stapled in but it was done very nicely. Don’t need to stretch it much. Just need enough material to wrap around the grill frame. Pull evenly to get a tight fit when you glue or staple it to the back of the frame. Looks really nice and close to heritage if it’s not actual heritage cloth that the previous owner might have ordered from Crites?

The new Forte III black grill cloth looks like what you’re describing in terms of stretchy thin fabric, but very nice quality.

f993a4526b566e06123b6d10a684cfbe.jpeg
Compared to this
c775e89da4cd9ec5bc8d9855f7ff91f8.jpeg

Good options at acoustic solutions web site. You can email Duracrest who makes the Klipsch grill fabrics. They don’t ship just the fabric though, you need to ship your grill frames to them to put on. Really good and reasonable prices for silver luster fabric and the lambswool. Never asked about the black forte III but I imagine cheaper than the silver or lambswool(both of which I believe they have a shortage of right now)

8 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Good options at acoustic solutions web site. You can email Duracrest who makes the Klipsch grill fabrics. They don’t ship just the fabric though, you need to ship your grill frames to them to put on. Really good and reasonable prices for silver luster fabric and the lambswool. Never asked about the black forte III but I imagine cheaper than the silver or lambswool(both of which I believe they have a shortage of right now)

I got the the fabric from bob crites, I talked to DuraCrest and they said the exact stuff they use it what bob has. I was too nervous to ship my frame in case it get broke in transit to or from. And your right DuraCrest doesn’t mail out fabric, so I just ordered from bob, which is literally the same fabric DuraCrest would’ve used. I just have to find someone who can put it on. And I agree with you, the original forte fabric suuuuuucks, 

I got the the fabric from bob crites, I talked to DuraCrest and they said the exact stuff they use it what bob has. I was too nervous to ship my frame in case it get broke in transit to or from. And your right DuraCrest doesn’t mail out fabric, so I just ordered from bob, which is literally the same fabric DuraCrest would’ve used. I just have to find someone who can put it on. And I agree with you, the original forte fabric suuuuuucks, 

Yeah for heritage, I would have just purchased from Crites myself but I wanted the 70th anniversary silver luster grills for my black Chorus II’s and I too was hesitant on shipping my grill frames so I never did it.

You should be fine if you just put them on yourself. Shouldn’t be too difficult especially if you go win staples since you can just remove them and start over if you mess something up.

17 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Yeah for heritage, I would have just purchased from Crites myself but I wanted the 70th anniversary silver luster grills for my black Chorus II’s and I too was hesitant on shipping my grill frames so I never did it.

You should be fine if you just put them on yourself. Shouldn’t be too difficult especially if you go win staples since you can just remove them and start over if you mess something up.

That’s true, just a staple gun and a yard stick and I should be good, last question, are the chorus 1 fabrics on a wood or plastic frame? My forte are plastic, 

[mention=62903]Maximus89[/mention] sorry, last last question, can you send me a picture of the back of the chorus 1 grills? So I can see how the staples  and corner look?

I actually sold them yesterday so unfortunately never took a photo. Sorry.