KLF - 10 or KM - 6

Tom Bieri

I currently have a pair of RF 62 II and a KSW - 12  sub I use them for watching movies but mostly listening to music. While the sound is very clear and crisp I would like to get a bigger sound than I am getting from the 62's I would love to upgrade to RF - 7's but the funds are not there at the time. I am considering looking for a set of older either KLF - 10 or KM - 6. I have not heard either of these first hand and any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tom Bieri

2 hours ago, silversport said:

the KM-6 is the Military PX version of the KG 5.5 right???...I have to think they would sound quite a bit larger than KLF-10s...lotsa bass from the KG 5.5s...good luck with your choice

Bill

I am not sure why you would think the KG 5.5 would sound quite a bit larger than KLF-10s.  Don't both have 2 10" woofers?  I think the KLFs have better woofers.  Also the KLF-10 has a tractrix horn.

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

I am not sure why you would think the KG 5.5 would sound quite a bit larger than KLF-10s.  Don't both have 2 10" woofers?  I think the KLFs have better woofers.  Also the KLF-10 has a tractrix horn.

Because I was thinking CF-1 while reading KLF-10...whoops...carry on

The klf 10 is an awesome speaker . Ive had mine now for around 17 years and they still sound awesome. 

When shopping you will have to check out the cabinets because they come unglued but dont worry about it , just a little work and you will have great sounding speakers.

Thanks for the info! I am going to keep looking I have always been an experimenter and learned a long time ago to only change one thing at a time if you want to accomplish your goals. I just ordered a new Yamaha RX-A3070 Aventage Series I will see what changes this makes before spending more $$ from what I have read is capable of producing very nice 2 channel sound along with the rest.

Edited by Tom Bieri
correction

Both are nice speakers but I think the KLF-10 was a little higher up the food chain with a better horn (modified Tractrix same as in the new forte III minus the mumps) and a slightly larger cabinet, beefier woofers and rear porting have to give the 10's the advantage in bass response. 

did the KLF-10 use a different 90x60 Tractrix than the KG 5.5/KM6???...I agree the KLF-10s were higher up the food chain (more wood choices) but their dimensions and their parts seem near identical but I've never been able to compare the two having only owned and heard KG 5.5s

Bill

29 minutes ago, silversport said:

did the KLF-10 use a different 90x60 Tractrix than the KG 5.5/KM6???...I agree the KLF-10s were higher up the food chain (more wood choices) but their dimensions and their parts seem near identical but I've never been able to compare the two having only owned and heard KG 5.5s

Bill

Horns look totally different.  Fair amount of difference.

km6.png

klf10.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Have you tried an amp or reciever that was SS rather than an AV? That made the biggest difference to me.

I have not with my current setup. I love my music but we also enjoy movies very much and until I win the lotto my listening room with tubes and Khorns will not be completed 😁. I did do some research on the AV's and this one is supposed to be very good with 2 channel and pretty fair with surround. It is not like the old days when you could go to nearly any audio shop and listen to a wide variety of amps receivers and speakers.I feel kinda lucky to have experienced this. I will never forget going into a shop called Audio Adyssey in Davenport Iowa as a teenager and hearing for the first time a set of Khorns the sound quality just blew me away.

53 minutes ago, Tom Bieri said:

I have not with my current setup. I love my music but we also enjoy movies very much

I am somewhat easy to please when it comes to movies, but I am picky about the tunes I listen to. The movies are mostly dialect, bang bang chit, the thud of a door closing and such. That's all too easy to reproduce...and most of it was never real, only computer generated and edited in. Music, on the other hand, is, or should be, accurate and dynamic. I want to hear the oscillation of a bell, tambourine or high hat, not just a hissing sizzle. Music detail is either there or it isn’t. I have been very pleased with most systems I have put together, I have always been let down with AVRs.  

I might need to get out more and see/hear what I am missing.  

1 hour ago, Tom Bieri said:

as a teenager and hearing for the first time a set of Khorns the sound quality just blew me away.

A lot of us have done that and have similar memories. I haven't heard my Khorns that are in a spare room for a few years. Because of the NEED (not want lol) to reproduce what we heard with our younger ears, I didn't stop until I had something in place that make Khorns sound more like bookshelf speakers. You're on your way, just keep it up. 😁

On 8/30/2018 at 2:16 PM, Tom Bieri said:

I currently have a pair of RF 62 II and a KSW - 12  sub I use them for watching movies but mostly listening to music. While the sound is very clear and crisp I would like to get a bigger sound than I am getting from the 62's I would love to upgrade to RF - 7's but the funds are not there at the time. I am considering looking for a set of older either KLF - 10 or KM - 6. I have not heard either of these first hand and any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tom Bieri

I would think that if you are not using the RF62 IIs with the sub, you should try it.  Some dialing would be necessary but I would think the RF62s with the sub should be up there with the other speakers you mention (outside of the RF-7s)

27 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

I would think that if you are not using the RF62 IIs with the sub, you should try it.  Some dialing would be necessary but I would think the RF62s with the sub should be up there with the other speakers you mention (outside of the RF-7s)

I have had the 62 II's since 2013 I just added the Sub this month the 62 II's are very crisp and very clean the sub really helped them more than I expected. The receiver I am currently using is a Yamaha HTR-5860 it has a good sound but I hope the upgrade to the 3070 helps a bit I know it has many more capabilities that I plan to use. RF - 7's I would love but I just keep looking at the room and thinking it is just overkill the room is 19 x 14. I plan to get a RP - 450C center soon, and a little later possibly get a pair of RP - 280FA for the front and move the 62 II's to the rear, one step at a time.