Considering K-horns. What's a fair price?

twu

Hi folks, it's been awhile since I posted on the forum, life happens.  I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on at set of '73 KC-FR K-horns in decent condition. What's a fair price these days?  I've seen some from $3500-$5000, that seems high to me.  

• Like 1

Decent?

Anywhere from $2000-$3500 at the extreme end.

You see a lot of nice klipschorns in that $4500 +/- range, but they aren't really selling.

Earlier in the year I had a seller willing to sell me mint 60th klipschorns for $5000... but he wouldn't take pay pal despite picking up the speakers in person.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, twu said:

Hi folks, it's been awhile since I posted on the forum, life happens.  I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on at set of '73 KC-FR K-horns in decent condition. What's a fair price these days?  I've seen some from $3500-$5000, that seems high to me.  

FIR, Raw?  Those are pretty rare, but not pretty.  The only pair I ever saw designated that were essentially marine grade plywood.

not sure if anyone has posted that patience can play a big role in this - as either seller or buyer.  for a seller, in your case @Westcoastdrums - maybe you did or didn't need to move yours right away, and priced them accordingly I'm sure.  and as a buyer, I narrow my product range for what I want within said parameters including pricing, I watch the online boards to see what's FS that I'm willing to go get, and then I wait.  (or sometimes I don't but then I risk paying for it)

On 8/30/2018 at 9:05 PM, dwilawyer said:

FIR, Raw?  Those are pretty rare, but not pretty.  The only pair I ever saw designated that were essentially marine grade plywood.

That's what the owner said, it was marine grade fir, originally raw and the previous owner put lacquer on it.  He also said it was rare.  

• 3 weeks later...

I paid $2700 for my '79 Ramblin Rose K-Horns less than a year ago. 4 hour round trip driving.  Was happy to do it.  They hardly ever come up within easy driving distance here (Cleveland) and when they do, they generally go fast unless there are major condition issues.  I got $1200 for my Corwall 2s so I think the market for Klipsch Heritage is pretty solid here.

As with anything used it is worth exactly what one other person is willing to buy it for. Condition, finish and location play a huge role. Beat up raw birch that need new crossovers and require 10 hour drive each way for $2000 is probably not a smart use of your time and money in my book, but if you have to have them because you have every other type of wood finish and simply must complete your collection of 25 pairs of Khorns I'd say have at it. Likewise, I'd say if there was a pair of Teak Khorns the next city over for $3,500 and I really wanted them I'd be off with money in hand and hope to resell my OO or WO more common pair to offset the premium for the Teak. Zebrawood in perfect condition would be worth a ton to me, probably not everyone else. Some people might really want a black ash pair because they don't care about looks, sound only or they fit perfectly into their décor. I'd not take them for $1,000 if the stipulation was I had to live with them the rest of my life. I'd rather listen to Forte IIs or Cornwalls that looks nice over anything black in my particular house....but that is just me.

Now factor in the enjoyment you get out of them. Is waiting 18 months to get a pair for $2,000 vs $2,500 really going to change your life? That is 18 months at easily $50 a month enjoyment (my personal enjoyment value). So you saved 500 bucks but lost 900 in enjoyment. Well done Mr. Rockefeller! For the most part I've found the "average" Klipsch forum member to be a tight a$$ when it comes to $$$. Where did all these used Khorns come from? Somebody bought them day 1 new and thought they were worth MSRP or much closer to that than the typical used selling price, or bragged about buying price on this forum. I don't think we are the norm here. We obsess over this XO or that phase plug. Really, is a soldered midrange driver going to put you into audio bliss and an AK-2 going to make  you vomit every time  you drop the needle?

All that said, if you are talking common OO or WO, nothing to special and they would look good to anyone casually passing through you living room I think $2,500 +/- is a good starting point. Up for upgrades that matter to you, down for condition or black/raw. Exotic woods or they just speak to you in some way so you gotta have them...get out your wallet. Nice to have but you really don't need them....throw out a lower offer and see what happens.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cincymat said:

I paid $2500 for mine and drove 10 hours each way to pick them up. Worth every penny and minute.

They look worth the time/money just in pictures. Is that the Klipsch badge between HF and LF? Got any close up pix? What veneer? Nice and light but does not look like oak grain from that distance?

27 minutes ago, rplace said:

They look worth the time/money just in pictures. Is that the Klipsch badge between HF and LF? Got any close up pix? What veneer? Nice and light but does not look like oak grain from that distance?

They're birch raw with a light finish.