Painting Klipschorns

bkwa1959

It used to be a Valspar Satin Black 38 sheen, I believe, which is what I used on a pair of KLF-30's before I sold them.  But, they don't seem to have that version at Lowe's anymore.  Here's the thread where I was asking the same basic thing.

I use PPG black lacquer from a commercial PPG place, and I dilute it just a little with lacquer thinner and spray on 4 or 5 coats of it fairly quickly using my automotive sprayer (other less expensive sprayers will also work), and finish by rubbing it with 4 ought steel wool until it is very smooth, doesn't take long, depending on the numbers of nibs you cause by improper spraying technique (don't let low skill level scare you because nibs are removable with 4 ought steel wool), followed by lightly sanding it using 1000 grit using either a reciprocating or random orbital sander. Ends up being a very slick, tough finish that you installed pretty quickly. I don't very much like to put on a paste wax final coat, but do it anyway, because it will make it look piano black, very attractive. A pair of Klipschorns will be a lot of black in one room, but so is a Grand Piano; anyway, think about it a bit before you jump in and do it.

Sand it first to 400 grit or so. You shouldn't have to strip it first though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ishwash said:

A pair of Klipschorns will be a lot of black in one room, but so is a Grand Piano; anyway, think about it a bit before you jump in and do it.

Sand it first to 400 grit or so. You shouldn't have to strip it first though.

Agreed there.  If you have a very nice wood finish already, painting them black would be something that you should think long and hard on.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:27 AM, avguytx said:

It used to be a Valspar Satin Black 38 sheen, I believe, which is what I used on a pair of KLF-30's

Is my memory broken? Didn't KLF come with that black vinyl veneer?  You painted that?

Agreed about oak.  Oak/ash looks great in black if done right. The thick grain really pops in the light when black with a satin finish. 

Distressed oak from the Forte III is also a good look. There was a member here who did his cabinet in distressed oak to match his FIII's. Came out very similar including lambswool fabric:
klipsch1.jpg
klipsch2.jpg
His process:
"I used Minwax wood finish penetrating stain, a coat of Weathered Oak 270 followed by a coat of Classic Gray 271.  Given a second chance I would experiment by mixing the two stains together in different proportions rather than using two separate applications.   It is finished with Polycrylic clear satin.

The fabric is Wichelt 18 Count Lambswool Linen Fabric and is a dead ringer by my eye."

• Like 1

Yeah, that looks good.  It's mainly those "golden oak" colors that I'm not fond of; like my parents-in-law's kitchen cabinets, door trim, window trim, etc.  That was the only thing I didn't like about the CF-3's I had....that oiled oak looked too golden.

• Like 1

Yep. Very outdated look for me personally.  Just turned our golden oak cabinets into a very light gray and was also considering doing a weathered gray with silver grills for a different look I've never seen on Khorns, but mostly leaning toward just black with black grills to be safe.  Black looks mean and bad ***!  La Scala II and the KHorns in black satin look amazing with all that wood grain popping in the light. Only maintenance though is lots of dusting. 

I don't know if it's helpful for the OP, but I have turned oiled oak Chorus II into a warmer brown using Danish Oil Medium Walnut.  Thought they looked pretty okay, but I did sand quite a bit through the veneer to get all that thick grain flatter. Not sure if many would be up for that.
IMG_1398.thumb.JPG.56e42cdbaceac57ca4e3ebf10434abfe.JPG

220.JPG

• Like 3

Great, folks, your kids need you to do that so that when they get around to refinishing them they can wonder what made their jackass dad apply paint over oak or walnut...hahaha...maybe there is some burl wood that could be painted over too...I'm jokin...don't get all pissy, now!