WTB 1 pair TAD 4002 drivers

Delicious2

57 minutes ago, Randyh said:

good luck -

Randy is probably right.

Might have better chances buying a lottery ticket...

The again....people DO win the lottery so you never know.

(for example, I have a third, unused TAD....  but I kind of view it as a spare)

There was a day (maybe 2-3 years ago??) when someone was selling a plethora of them all at the same time.  My guess is there might have been 7-10 pair all at once?

(don't remember, just recall thinking he's working against himself since he had so many at once)

Just found these on eBay.

(Sept 9, 2018)   

Not sure if they are Beryllium ...

GOOD LUCK ! 

Let me know if ya win!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-TAD-TD-4002-Drivers-used-working-pulled-from-warehouse-speakers/263915436774?hash=item3d7295fae6:g:proAAOSwpspbjXp0

The big benefit of a TAD is that the driver has a big magnet (great transient response) and  Be diaphragm (pushes the break up modes into a higher and less audible spectral region). If the eBay product no longer has the Be diaphragm, then remember the replacement pair will be over $1700. They are expensive! It is quite possible that if you buy them you will have no idea about what shape the diaphragm is in and whether or not is an OEM version. This risk is obviously inherent on all eBay purchases. 

Let me suggest a more affordable alternative, although I am not necessarily saying it is as good as the TAD you are thinking of. There are plenty of JBL drivers on eBay (the ones I like are the 2445 and 2446. They are about 700-800 new but you can easily find used ones for 125-175 each. They do have a big magnet (similar to a TAD in strength). With an OEM diaphragm (not Be) at about $75 each, you will have a very nice performing driver (I have used them in many applications and they are on my own  K-510 and K-402 horns) 

If you want to go the extra step, there are Be diagrams for this model that cost about $650 each and will give the additional benefits (made by Truextent). You can read about these over at the JBL forum. Think of this as a very affordable back up plan. I am afraid it will be difficult to find used TAD drivers.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

The big benefit of a TAD is that the driver has a big magnet (great transient response) and  Be diaphragm (pushes the break up modes into a higher and less audible spectral region). If the eBay product no longer has the Be diaphragm, then remember the replacement pair will be over $1700. They are expensive! It is quite possible that if you buy them you will have no idea about what shape the diaphragm is in and whether or not is an OEM version. This risk is obviously inherent on all eBay purchases. 

Let me suggest a more affordable alternative, although I am not necessarily saying it is as good as the TAD you are thinking of. There are plenty of JBL drivers on eBay (the ones I like are the 2445 and 2446. They are about 700-800 new but you can easily find used ones for 125-175 each. They do have a big magnet (similar to a TAD in strength). With an OEM diaphragm (not Be) at about $75 each, you will have a very nice performing driver (I have used them in many applications and they are on my own  K-510 and K-402 horns) 

If you want to go the extra step, there are Be diagrams for this model that cost about $650 each and will give the additional benefits (made by Truextent). You can read about these over at the JBL forum. Think of this as a very affordable back up plan. I am afraid it will be difficult to find used TAD drivers.

How do the Radian Be's compare?

The used TADs I bought were sold on Ebay with pictures with the covers off and ohm meters connected.  When the cover is removed it is immediately clear if the diaphragm is the Be or aluminum.  They look completely different and the Be has the perforated metal shield and is much darker in color than the Aluminum. 

Did everyone gloss over the description that said they’re beryllium diaphragms? 😂 I almost bid but decided I can wait since I don’t even have my 402’s yet. Order of importance took precedent. But it would’ve been cool to have em and once I find the horns, I’d be good to go. Oh well. 

By the way, I have BMS 4692ND settings for the K-402, which is a dual-diaphragm 2" compression driver with polyester diaphragms.  The Xilica DSP crossover settings I have are for bi-amping the BMS 4692ND itself.

Here's an impulse response spectrogram of that driver crossed at 6400 Hz with the K-402-MEH dual 15" woofers attached:

1699315252_BMS4592onK-402-MEHTriampedspectrogram.thumb.jpg.67f3b8080500ab6d8a4d6525fd0a4a4a.jpg

Hint: there's little difference between this HF compression driver and the TAD TD-4002 in terms of impulse response, and the phase response is actually better with the dual diaphragm BMS driver in terms of overall phase growth.  The BMS 4592ND is just over $500 each (brand new) at Thomann.  They got one to me in three business days from Germany at that price--which is spectacular. 

You need two more Xilica output channels and an added stereo amplifier per stereo pair to run these as a three-way on the Jubs relative to the two-way Jubs with TAD TD-4002s.  I recommend the 4592s as well as the 4002s. 

Chris

The BMS 4592ND needs to be bi-amped, in my opinion.  There is an added 0.2 ms delay on the tweeter diaphragm over the midrange diaphragm. That's over one full wavelength at the 6.4 kHz crossover point.  There is also a 1 dB difference in the midrange channel gain and the tweeter channel.

Other than that, the 4592 needs about the same amount of PEQs to flatten its response as the TAD TD-4002.  I've got to say that I'm extremely impressed, not only by the measurements--but also the sound.  I'm going through my listening library again of 5.1 recordings (center channel K-402-MEH in this case), and I can't believe the difference over the old K-69-A that I had.  "It's like the difference between the living and the dead."  Amazing.

Chris

• Like 1

I was worried about bi-amping and now I have to think about tri-amping a two way? 😵...

Is there another single driver solution that is extremely good performing across the frequency range... that might use Beryllium? (Radian)

Radian makes a few BE diaphragm compression drivers of various throat diameters.  I'd probably recommend the Radian 950BePb if I had one to test and listen to (I haven't, so I can't really recommend).  Others on diyAudio have recommend this driver.

There are of course others: http://www.usspeaker.com/radian index-1.htm#2 INCH HF DRIVERS

Chris