WTB 1 pair TAD 4002 drivers

Delicious2

By way of measured comparisons (and other plots of its performance are available), here is an impulse spectrogram of a K-691 on a K-402 horn that I dialed in last summer. 

I can attest to the improvement of the K-691 over the older K-69-A driver.  Note the performance above 10 kHz relative to the other spectrogram that I posted above for the BMS 4592ND on a K-402-MEH (a modified K-402 multiple entry horn prototype).

961942481_K-691onK-402Horn(75dBonAxis).thumb.jpg.db76112d807d5ce6bc2278c83b88471c.jpg

To my ears the Faital Pro HF20AT is an audible improvement over the K-691 in ride cymbal reproduction, and the BMS 4592ND is a further improvement.  However, the difference between the TADs (the best I've heard) and a BMS 4592ND is extremely difficult to pick out in A-B testing--I'm not sure that I can after it's dialed in.  The Faital Pro HF20AT is also a very small margin of difference.

The reason why I post this is to give those considering expending a fair amount of money on higher priced compression drivers an idea of the differences and what they might get with their money.  If you have 20-year-old ears, you might hear a little bit more, but probably not a lot more.

Chris

With my systems I have the ability to quickly change back and forth between the TADs and 691s.........non-scientific........two different systems.  But you can clearly hear a smoothness in the TAD midrange and especially voices that the other drivers don't seem to have.  It would be a matter of opinion how much this is worth.  Some would say not much of a difference and some might dish out the $3K for it.

My opinion is that there is no $3000 difference by any means, but there is a difference for sure.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2018 at 7:09 AM, Chris A said:

To my ears the Faital Pro HF20AT is an audible improvement over the K-691 in ride cymbal reproduction, and the BMS 4592ND is a further improvement.  However, the difference between the TADs (the best I've heard) and a BMS 4592ND is extremely difficult to pick out in A-B testing--I'm not sure that I can after it's dialed in.  The Faital Pro HF20AT is also a very small margin of difference.

Chris

I can certainly confirm that the Faital Pro HF20AT is a vast improvement over the K-691

...with much more extension on the high end, than the stock K-691's that came with my THREE (L/C/R) 2018 Jubilee's ! 

Chris recommended an inexpensive upgrade ($325 per Faital Pro HF20AT) ,

...after I asked him for recommendations of alternatives to the ridiculous pricing's of used TAD 4002's.

I am NOW in Jubilee Heaven, with this Faital Pro upgrade !!!

And, am forever grateful for Chris in my life; ... he was monarch in tuning my system, via email !

I can not thank you enough Chris !     *Thank You, Thank You , Thank You ....

~Rock on ...

Craig LeMay

Born2Rock@Comcast.net

( Please Make Note:  I have sold two-of-the-three 2018 K-691's, ....and still have a single BRAND NEW K-691 available today,

...if anyone here knows anyone looking to upgrade their K-69A 's, in their future ! )

• Like 2

The 402, BMS, Khorn bass bin combo is sounding huge, and effortless with just these rough settings.  I've got some fun this weekend ahead learning REW enough to get some sweep captures with my UMIK-1 to Chris for analysis.  But first I'm going to try to match amp voltages with a test tone and find a way to check polarity of all the drivers.  In car audio we sometimes talk about electrical polarity distinct from acoustic polarity.  I wonder if that applies to home audio too?  

I've got TAD 4002s arriving from Germany next week to try on these also.  Hope they're the original Beryllium.  I confirmed with the seller they have the "snout" adapters.

I have had three different styles of TADs and internally they were all different with the same Be diaphragm.   On the outside all the same.  These look to be still different and most probably newer with a simpler assembly than I have seen before.  TAD has changed them several times internally apparently.  The curves I did were almost all identical and I have 2 different ones now that are paired up and you'd never know it.  They curve and sound the same.

On 9/18/2018 at 8:27 AM, Delicious2 said:

Yeah Boi!

TAD4002OpenedBeryllium.jpg

TAD4002BerylliumDiaphragmClose.jpg

On 9/18/2018 at 10:17 AM, mark1101 said:

Those are genuine Be.  Good deal.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:21 AM, Schu said:

Yeap... agreed, those are genuine.

Lucky.

Yep exactly how mine looked too. Well at least as far as the diaphragms go. Wiring may have been a "tad" different:). Definitely different now cuz I replaced the binding posts and wiring.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 12:02 PM, Delicious2 said:

"Yep exactly how mine looked too. Well at least as far as the diaphragms go. Wiring may have been a "tad" different:). Definitely different now cuz I replaced the binding posts and wiring"

Got some pics?  Replaced because they failed or some other reason?

Weird I never got a notice that you quoted me. But yeah there's some pix, let me find 'em. And no there was nothing wrong it was just FUGLY and I'm anal. I could not believe a $2k driver was built like what I saw.