Room Treatment: Diffusion

SWL

• 3 weeks later...

I removed my bass traps... mid bass has returned and everything is MUCH BETTER.

I tried it with bass traps for at least a month or so, and I do think my ear had gotten used to the  sound... but I had to raise  the subwoofer output to mimic the sound I had gotten before the traps were in place.

Now that the trap is gone, I can lower the subwoofer and everything is cleaner and back to normality... thank god.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Schu said:

Yes they do... 

How do you get them tuned?  So you specify size to match the frequency band of interest when ordering or building them?  Do you select that frequency band based on the response at the main listening position only, or the response measured by a multi mike measure and some kind of weighted average or Audyssey-like fuzzy process?  Or based on room proportions?

None of the above... based on fitment only. The original specifications of the units had a fairly broad band based on the proportion of the traps... thickness/length/width...

It was obviously a mistake, though they are very well made traps.

Thickness 125hz 250hz 500hz 1000hz 2000hz 4000hz NRC
2″ 0.22 0.81 1.24 1.30 1.21 1.16 1.15

Something along those lines. The sound wasn't bad, but the liveliness of the room disappeared.

On 10/1/2018 at 7:34 AM, SWL said:

So here is the final arrangement. By far, the biggest influence besides the absorption at the reflection points on the side walls is the two diffusion panels on each side of the TV just inside the mains and the absorption panels behind the speakers' mids and tweets.5d5adaa7cb96b69468ace874f2f1d29f.jpg091744139523939dd99048f0fcfe27f6.jpg4261ec71211013afb8074c0cbed1baf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a naked 222.  Nice work on this room!  makes me want to build all the diffusers  i bought plans for.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a naked 222.  Nice work on this room!  makes me want to build all the diffusers  i bought plans for.
Yeah, even if I had a case I'd probably sell it.

6 hours ago, SWL said:

Yeah, even if I had a case I'd probably sell it.

Well, I was the 19-year-old idiot that couldn't get the amp in the wood case, so it must have not been the right case, and threw that in the dumpster...  That's rough to remember...

• 2 weeks later...