New Khorns???

ClaudeJ1

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn

About time they did a tweeter upgrade and enclosed the rear, like a Jubilee. Now if we can just get Roy to do a new midrange horn, it would be spectacular!

Roy has stated that he will have absolutely NO PART in touching Pauls orriginal designs and I absolutely respect him for that!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Roy has stated that he will have absolutely NO PART in touching Pauls orriginal designs and I absolutely respect him for that!

Of course, but let's remember that PWK changed the midrange horn and the driver at least twice, and also changed the tweeter at least twice as well. There were I'm sure, incremental changes that I'd have to dig to identify, but the point is, PWK continued upgrading the Klipschorns until sometime about 1980 or so. I think the changes that were made after that had to do with driver availability. 

The bass horn is, if I may presume, what I think Roy was talking about. The factory-enclosed back is a change that was field-tested by many people over the years and it's only logical. I speculate that there have been some minor changes to the bass horn assembly in the interest of rigidity. 

7 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Maybe Roy would accept the job of designing a resin form of a K-5.   Its directional pattern is probably different than the K-400 and maybe better in some ways.  I think PWK had a version of the metal throat to use larger format drivers. 

Using some modern manufacturing techniques a K-5 could be made and Roy's pledge to not alter Paul's original designs honored.

WMcD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WMcD said:

Maybe Roy would accept the job of designing a resin form of a K-5.   Its directional pattern is probably different than the K-400 and maybe better in some ways.  I think PWK had a version of the metal throat to use larger format drivers. 

Using some modern manufacturing techniques a K-5 could be made and Roy's pledge to not alter Paul's original designs honored.

WMcD

I suppose  could just ask him, but didn't Don Keele prefer PWK's K5j horn over the K400? PWK himself told me that after he designed the K500 for the Belle, he felt the K400 was a lot longer than it needed to be. A Tractrix version of a Khorn mid would cross lower for the same physical length and the K55 driver can handle it. Just sayin'.

12 hours ago, Schu said:

Friggen Kalifornia!

65_180816_190438.jpg

It really is just the worst state in the union...

I'll never understand why a warning label, makes people freak out. Geez, it's just a warning label. They are on almost everything we buy...

7 hours ago, Schu said:

Aren't there also some additional ports within the fold of the LF section... beyond just enclosing the backs?

Not aware of ports within the horn, which would destroy the "horn action". Decades ago, Paul joined the back volume (Vb) of the enclosure to the "sinuses" on either side of the first expansion, which reduce dthe driver plus Vb resonance (not the horn resonance) somewhat. Going by Heyser's review, I *think* that resonance is about 55 Hz, and the horn resonance, i.e. the effective cutoff, is about 37 Hz. Of course, there's output below that.

IRT the K400/401: I think, beyond Paul's control of the design, the corporate decision was not to alter the proportions of the Klipschorn by installing a bigger midrange horn. The K-5 series occupied almost all of the frontal area of the top hat, and the various tweeters were lodged in the mouth. That was never optimal, since there was marked interference at crossover. A bigger midrange horn would drive a taller top hat to allow the tweeter to be above the mid, as it has been since the K-400 was introduced.

16 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

As is typical, I am a bit confused. Wasn’t Roy Delgado responsible for the work on the updates to the LaScala II, Cornwall III, Heresy III and this new Klipshorn AK-6? 

1 hour ago, boom3 said:

IRT the K400/401: I think, beyond Paul's control of the design, the corporate decision was not to alter the proportions of the Klipschorn by installing a bigger midrange horn. The K-5 series occupied almost all of the frontal area of the top hat, and the various tweeters were lodged in the mouth. That was never optimal, since there was marked interference at crossover. A bigger midrange horn would drive a taller top hat to allow the tweeter to be above the mid, as it has been since the K-400 was introduced.

I owned a K5J horn for a while (for my garage setup about 10 years ago). I can tell you that it could have been set back so as to not protrude if one wanted. Mine had the tweeter up front and center in the middle of the horn.

1 hour ago, Kevin S said:

As is typical, I am a bit confused. Wasn’t Roy Delgado responsible for the work on the updates to the LaScala II, Cornwall III, Heresy III and this new Klipshorn AK-6? 

Mark Kaufman revamped the original line. I’m sure Roy was involved though, especially with the networks. 

2 minutes ago, Deang said:

Mark Kaufman revamped the original line. I’m sure Roy was involved though, especially with the networks. 

Well, there’s something I wasn’t aware of and a name I am not familiar with. Thanks for the clarification.