Bob crites forte heritage cloth

Mila1924

I’ve posted a few questions about replacing the original forte 1 grill cloth, I’ve gotten a little bit of feedback, so I figured I’ll post my work Incase someone else takes on the same job. 

First, they don’t make the original forte 1 cloth anymore. So I reached out to duracrest(they make fabric for Klipsch). They don’t mail out the newly used fabric, so you have to send in your frames,which could break. So that didn’t work.

2nd, bob crites has the exact same material as duracrest, but is able to mail it, so I ordered a yard. 

3rd. The old vintage speaker guy in Austin, couldn’t replace it because 1)it’s not strechy enough 2) to hard to keep the pattern straight 3) corners would be too hard. 

4th. I was disappoint and decided to try it myself. I just bought some clamps and 3m 77 spray adhesive. 

Although the new new stuff doesn’t stretch, it’s almost easier to make sure the pattern is straight because of that. I will update w pics as I move forward. And it may be premature, but 1 grill done, and it is doable, 

The 3M 77 spray adhesive dries relatively clear and I sprayed a couple stripes of it across the front of the grill board to prevent sags that can occur if you glue or staple only the edges of cloth to the board backside. I then laid the board down on its back and waited for the glue stripes to become just a bit tacky then carefully placed the cloth on the face of the board. You can actually pull it up and relay it until you are happy with its "trueness". Then I let it cure for a couple hours, and turned it over and finished the job. I used staples because I can make it just a bit tauter than gluing the edges. Hard board takes staples just fine, btw, if that is what your grill board is made of, guess it's actually Masonite or an equal. I have used the same cloth for several speakers, and they turned out fine.

Yours look good.