Christy and dtel are about to get wet...

Mallette

...me too, probably by Wednesday night or Thursday. This is actually the second one this week, but the other formed right on the coast and just rained on Houston and that area. This one was a bit farther out and had time to develop into a storm. Not a big one, but still a major event. Coming up on the anniversary of the Storm of 1900, and that is the peak of the season. Probably starts to drop after that.

Dave

Capture.PNG

• Moderators

Your right, but not in a good way. Looks like it will be a cat 1 at the most, just hope we keep power, no telling.

I would guess you may start to see some rain sometime Wednesday.

It's already about the peak of hurricane season. I just watched a documentary about the storm that just about erased Galveston many years ago, there was no warning back then. 

151626_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

peakofseason.gif

• Like 1

Best of luck to you guys down in the South. I was in Honolulu when Lane almost hit and it was surreal watching the storm churn closer and closer as a Cat 5. There were no evacuations so everyone just kind of went about their business in the days leading up to it. Then it stopped when the mountains ripped the roof off the storm and it didnt even rain where we were. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Everybody on both coast are hoping this season ends easily. And that's alot of people, 3700 miles of coast, everyone is hoping the next few stay out in the Atlantic.

I didn't count the West coast, those usually head away from the coast, Hawaii is a different story. 

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

just i time for me to be there for it... timing is everything.  I will be down on the beach in the Wilmington area in 2 weeks

Hope you don't meet any of these.

Oscar
  Issac Patty
  Joyce Rafael
  Kirk Sarah
  Leslie Tony
  Michael Valerie 
  Nadine William
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 3:17 PM, Mallette said:

"Isaac's Storm" is the best read on that storm. In fact, I could not put it down until I was done. Incredible!

Dave

Thanks for mention the book, Dave. I will have to get a copy.

In 2000, on the anniversary, npr ran an amazing story on the hurricane. Our nations largest natural disaster, with 6000 perishing on the island and another 6000 in the state.

Bruce

ruins_galveston_hurricane_1900.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Thanks for mention the book, Dave. I will have to get a copy.

I look forward to your review. IMHO, that book would make THE blockbuster movie about hurricanes of all time. It is truly riveting and gut wrenching. As my parents were married in Galveston and I had a lot of family on both sides there, I heard many stories of the great storm and used to browse cemetaries there filled with dead from that event. And, of course, marvel at one of the greatest American engineering feats of all time, the raising of all the buildings and pumping in of sand under them to raise the city from a few inches up to 11 feet as well as the massive wall itself. 

Dave

• Like 1