KLF-20/30 or Chorus II ?

Alexander

Love my forte II's but want a bit more kick down low, already have a sub so won't need that. So I was considering going to the KLF-20 or 30 even Chorus II's. Has anyone of you had the chance to listen to the above speakers? I would value any and all feedback. The footprint available is limited to ~20" wide & ~18" deep so any of the big guns is not an option..

neither the KLF20 or 30 or the Chorus play as low much less lower than a Forte plays though they will push more air so I think a sub with a good step crossover is what you need. Obviously your sub is not up to the task at hand.

If on the off chance what you are looking for is chest pounding bass then that's not bass at all that is 120 - 130Hz and for that nothing will better a Chorus or Chorus ll with 200 watts or more per channel. You can stop your heart playing rock with a Chorus.

• Like 1

When the sub is used it is great, mostly used for theater. For music I'd rather not run it as it would be on for many hours at a time.

You don't want a sub to run for hours with your music system? Not logical. You have created your own problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, baron167 said:

You don't want a sub to run for hours with your music system? Not logical. You have created your own problem.

Depends on how you look at it, I don't see it as a problem but rather a preference. I have my reasons :) 

do you intend to share with us these reasons? You ask for recommendations when it seems that you have made preset conditions in advance that you don't tell anybody about, you reject reasonable suggestions but you don't want to discuss the constraints that you have placed on the project. People cannot help if they don't know what it is that you want to do and why.

OK,

I have two systems with one set of speakers. The AVR-X3200W has the sub connected. The Emotiva rack system does not have the sub. A Niles SWK-1 is used to switch from one sysem to the othere sharing the forte II's. The Denon is used for home theater and Emotiva is music only.

I'd say all three....

Forte I/II and Chorus II...are really finicky due to placement.....

KLF-20/30 are straight forward in your face speakers.....

Another consideration KG 5.5 ( wish I never sold mine)

Redoing cabinet glue/reinforcement on KLF/KG series is a must

George

• Like 3

I'll also suggest looking into a system with infinite flat loudness control (Yamaha). Being able to somewhat control low end power to mids and highs in any volume range brings enjoying your speakers to another level; no pun intended.

I have had many Klipsch. I always consider them weak on bass. I hooked my klf 30's to a 1973 Sansui and the bass was off the hook. I had to go negative on the bass knob. I've had em' hooked to multi thousand dollar amps and never achieved that cerwin vega bass. I never considered a sub a waste with Klipsch till I turned em' off and never noticed. Just my take....

• Like 1

Movies can be 2-3 hours and many with intense effects. I don’t see a problem using them for music for a few hours. Are you listening to heavy metal for 6 hours? Parties?

As far as speaker suggestions. Haven’t owned the KLF-20 or 30s but own KLF-10s and owned fortes and Chorus I. Currently use Chorus II. Chorus II get my vote. Moray Jmes suggests a mod to add 2.5oz of dead weight to the passive to dig a little deeper. I did it and it worked out great. I never use a sub with music but if it’s a very large room, a sub will probably be necessary no matter what speakers you use.

KLF-30s get almost as much love as the Chorus II but there are issues with having to brace the cabinet. There are lots of mods to make them even better but pricey mods.

15 hours ago, pzannucci said:

KLF-30s for sure though make sure they are in good shape.  2 - 12" will play plenty low and more cone area.  To me a little tighter than Chorus II but you can't go wrong with either.

Been through that with  the Tangent 5000's :) If we go with any KLF's that was expecting and  to go in and re glue. 

Any other choice's other than the three listed here? It is a bummer that we can not go with one of their bigger brothers.

KG 5.5? Never though of them.

Bigger brothers?

In overall output with KLF 30s or Chorus II, unless in a extremely large room, is enough to leave you deaf.  Same neighborhood (and your neighborhood :D) as Khorns and La Scalas with the right amps.  You just don't get to say you have khorns or la Scalas.

I've had both the KLF 30s and 1986 Khorns for years in the same room (perfect corners 22" apart).  You would be very surprised.  Khorns do have size and are beautiful furniture though, if in pristine shape.  Also they can "hide" in the corners.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

agreed the kg 5.5 is an under rated speaker & can be had on the used market for $250-$400.  its the same basic speaker as the klf 10 & the klf 20 is just a 3 way version of it.  the 2 10" woofers have excellent bass, they cant be beat for the price.  ive had quite a few pairs of them & forte 1/2 & chorus 2... the kgs aren't as good in the mid range but do go lower & have a more subwoofer type bass.

another option close in size to the kg & klf & not mentioned yet is the epic series,  cf-3 & cf-4.  dual 10" or dual 12's & IMO are as good or better than the klf & dont have the cabinet issues. 

also you can use a sub for your music system, just dont turn it on when listening to background music etc,  save it for more serious listening... subs are a big improvement on music too, adds a whole nother octave to the music.

• Like 1

I preferred the dual 10" Epic CF-3's I had over the dual 12" KLF-30's; at least for the living room they were in.  Most likely it was more attributed to the rear firing ports of the KLF's and their picky wall placement versus the front firing CF-3 ports.  There was just no comparison....the CF-3's sounded so much better all the way around.  Ultimately they were both sold as I built a pair of Belle clones using all new drivers and crossovers.

But if I went looking for another set of towers one day, it would definitely be the CF-3's or 4's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

another option close in size to the kg & klf & not mentioned yet is the epic series,  cf-3 & cf-4.  dual 10" or dual 12's & IMO are as good or better than the klf & dont have the cabinet issues. 

My CF-3's had the cabinet issues.  There was hardly any glue at all holding the rear panels on and what was there had rolled down the cabinet and pooled in the bottom.  One was making a severe "thwack" sound on bass and the other was about half as loud.  It happened less often on Epic's but it was there.