McIntosh Trade Up Program

Youthman

• Moderators
For those with older McIntosh gear looking to upgrade, I just received this email from McIntosh.

TradeUP to a NEW McIntosh
As a testament to McIntosh's durability and value retention, for a limited time you can trade in select McIntosh products from as far back as the 1960s and receive up to 75%* of their original MSRP to use towards the purchase of new units.

Do you want more power? Or advanced digital music capabilities? Or just something new? But are unsure what to do with your existing McIntosh products?

With our TradeUP Program, there is an easy way for you to upgrade to current models at a significant savings without the hassle of selling your existing products.

Simply trade in your qualified McIntosh mono or stereo amplifier, preamplifier, integrated amplifier or receiver and get up to 75%* of their original MSRP to use towards the purchase of a qualified new mono or stereo amplifier, preamplifier, integrated amplifier or receiver.

Visit http://mcintoshlabs.com/TradeUP/ for complete details.

Then contact your dealer to take advantage of this amazing limited time offer.

*Promotional period: September 4 October 31, 2018. Offer valid only in the US and Canada to US and Canadian customers who make a purchase during the promotional period from a participating US or Canadian Authorized McIntosh Dealer. Visit http://mcintoshlabs.com/TradeUP/ for complete details.

TradeUP_meter_background_CC650.jpg

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

UP TO 75% of original MSRP?  Guess how much most everything is worth now versus original MSRP?  Beware......

===  ^^^^^ that’s right. The “Up To” is the fly in the ointment. A very few models will qualify for the 75%. But it generates interest and then hopefully, business. High end audio isn’t what it was a few years ago. 

Even if it's 40% of original purchase price of the used unit, often misconception is that owners might feel that they are getting an msrp new unit for 40% off as a justification for the purchase when in reality the need to look at the purchase as msrp + 60% (of the original purchase price of the original unit)... that begins to look less opportunistic.

Truth is it adds another revenue stream for manufacturers as they make deals with secondary sellers (of used equipment) or resell the used equipment at positive margin.

I would even think that if they took a loss, it might add some value in terms of tax liabilities.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

UP TO 75% of original MSRP?  Guess how much most everything is worth now versus original MSRP?  Beware......

I was thinking the same thing, most of the VINTAGE Mcintosh gear I see sells for more than the original price,  Accept 75% of original you are actually loosing 

• Thanks 1

this is a great McIntosh info site which lists MSRP's for all McIntosh stuff:

http://www.roger-russell.com/aboutmc.htm

I definitely paid a lot less than 75% of MSRP for my McIntosh equipment, but between my MX-113 and MC752, I would only have about $1500 of credit...  which isn't much of a dent on their newest offerings. 

Let's see.  My MC250's last price in production was $429 so, if I get the max of $321.75 in trade for something way more expensive than I'd actually ever pay, I don't think I'm coming out very good.  I paid around $400 shipped for my amp then around $500 parts and labor for it to be completely gone through by a 40 year Mac tech.  

Nah...I'm good.  But I appreciate their way of offering people a way to "move up the ladder" plus make up way more than the trade in allowance of the old stuff for resale.  Sounds like a win-win for Mac.  I guess there's a sucker born every minute.