U. S. Open - 2018

Jeff Matthews

1 hour ago, richieb said:

=== table tennis (ping pong) is fun to play. Played a lot when I was younger, got to be pretty good. Great for hand-eye coordination - .

Watching “pros” play is crazy — 

My wife and I played foosball last weekend.  I don't think I've played in 15 or 20 years.  We had a blast.  It's like riding a bike though, it comes back to you pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 8:13 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

He is!

Tonight, I went up against a player who made me play my heart out... and lose every game of 2 sets, except 1!

It was very exhilarating to meet my match.  I gave it my all.  Unfortunately, for the other guy, I've got some learning to do if I'm going to continue to earn the privilege to play with him.  I made him try, but most importantly, I gave him a hard time and refused to go down.  We had a good number of deuces and repeat deuces.  Now, I have a better feel for where my level should be.  I think I am in the 4.0 range, and the guy I played is 4.5. 

He's 51, and I'm 50.  We both played the full court.  It was fun, but he made me run a lot more than I made him run.

It’s awesome that you have started playing tennis. No offense is meant but If you have only been playing for a short period of time ( less than maybe 10years) I would suggest that you probably shouldn’t enter any 4.0 USTA events. 

10 hours ago, joshnich said:

It’s awesome that you have started playing tennis. No offense is meant but If you have only been playing for a short period of time ( less than maybe 10years) I would suggest that you probably shouldn’t enter any 4.0 USTA events. 

I've already seen all kinds of 4.0 on Youtube, and I've read all the comments of people arguing back and forth over whether the play represents this or that level.  I'll just add you to the list of opinions, I guess.

As an ex-tennis player, I understand joshnich's recommendation, Jeff. You might improve faster dropping down a level. My opinion, however, is that if you're enjoying 4.0, and that's your purpose, then have-at-it. Unfortunately, three rotator cuff surgeries on my right shoulder took me out of playing.

SSH

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I did get my push shot going fairly well.

I used to love playing some Foosball. Dynamo originally made a table with a glass top. It was really cool. Late nights playing foosball at the skating rink was an experience. All the older kids would smoke and the room with the tables was full of it. The game was real popular back then because that rink had 6 tables to play on and you often had to wait.

Our pledge class gifted the chapter a nice table.  I think it was a tornado?  could have been dynamo---I spent a lot of time at all hours between that and the beautiful antique pool table.  There was a big bar on Camp Bowie that had foosball tables to compete over pitchers of beer.  A guy I used to play a lot had a great push shot.  he called it "race me chase me."  I usually had more success with a transfer shot.  Another one was full of banter.  Controversial goals were always "read about it in the papers."  And when either of us would defend successfully we would say "telegram---cheaper by mail."  Those were great times.  Last I played was at my wedding reception, 25 years ago.  

11 hours ago, joshnich said:

That's so you can avoid the 5.0 guys who are sandbagging in the 4.0 class to pick up an easy trophy!  :lol:

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's so you can avoid the 5.0 guys who are sandbagging in the 4.0 class to pick up an easy trophy!  :lol:

I hear this is a common issue.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are people in the 3.5's that would beat me handily.  My guess is the top of the 3.5 group is better than the bottom of the 4.0's, but I'll never know until I get in.  My plan was always to start at 3.5, though.

5 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I've already seen all kinds of 4.0 on Youtube, and I've read all the comments of people arguing back and forth over whether the play represents this or that level.  I'll just add you to the list of opinions, I guess.

Yes it is only one more opinion. But I have to say it is a somewhat informed opinion. I have been involved with the USTA for as long as I can remember. It was actually the USLTA when I joined. ( the L was for lawn - since removed)

I dont know what the level of play is at the various ratings  in Texas - it does vary by USTA section. But in nor cal at the 4.0 level you could likely  find yourself up against a former D1 college player. The descriptions that the USTA publishes are far from reality.  Your rating will be a result of your match record.

When the USTA originally came out with the rating levels you had to get rated by a pro - there was no self rating. Since they have gone to self rating its pretty much the wild west out there.

Not that it matters but I have played USTA league tennis for over 20 years, raised three kids who played top level junior tennis. All could have but only one went on to play college tennis. I have been around the game a long long time and have the injuries to prove it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshnich said:

I dont know what the level of play is at the various ratings  in Texas - it does vary by USTA section. But in nor cal at the 4.0 level you could likely  find yourself up against a former D1 college player.

I appreciate your experience.  They argue incessantly on those Youtube videos - each side claiming vast experience, etc.  Ultimately, it does look like it comes down to where you are, geographically.  Frankly, I don't know what a 4.0 is here because I haven't joined a league, yet.  I just based it on some videos where the arguments were pretty evenly distributed.  

Can you post a Youtube video of what you think 4.0 should be like?

10 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Rude behavior and stealing the lime light from Osaka's victory.  Felt bad for the 20 year old who showed more composure than her "seasoned" opponent.  The crowd's boos were also in poor taste.  Williams did try to salvage some grace at the end.

Who did the crowd boo?  I read the ESPN synopsis.  Serena was arguing, lost a point, then lost a game due to arguing in the second set. 

I saw Osaka's back story, very cool.  Now she is the first Japanese, male or female to win a Grand Slam and she did it from the #20 seed.  Good for her.

Chaos on Arthur Ashe Stadium as Serena Williams is slapped code violations that take a point and then a game away from her US Open final against Naomi Osaka. It all stemmed from the initial code violation Williams warning was given by chair umpire Carlos Ramos in the first set for coaching. Then, when she smashed a racket when she was broken in the fifth game of the second set, Williams was hit with a point penalty for abuse of equipment (the sequence in code violations consists of warning, point penalty, game penalty, default), As she argued and pleaded that she as treated unjustly by Ramos, demanding an apology, she was docked a game for verbal abuse. When play resumed, Williams held serve for 4-5, but Osaka then servied it out to win 6--2, 6-4. Her first words to Ramos after the handshake were, "Can I get an apology?"

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Who did the crowd boo?  I read the ESPN synopsis.  Serena was arguing, lost a point, then lost a game due to arguing in the second set. 

I saw Osaka's back story, very cool.  Now she is the first Japanese, male or female to win a Grand Slam and she did it from the #20 seed.  Good for her.

Sometimes, people melt down.  Post-partum stress?  Who knows?  It wasn't a good day for her, but I hope she continues to do well.  I don't know who they booed.  I think it was the ref for accusing her of cheating.  Didn't they cheer her on right after she protested the call?