U. S. Open - 2018

Jeff Matthews

7 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

but if you have to go back all the way to 2009 for another major infraction, that's not too terrible a history.

I don't think Serena is a bad person, but it's also VERY unusual for a player to get DQ'd from a major. 

It is arguable that Serena could have come back to win the second set, and eventually the US Open.  But thanks to her meltdown and the consequences of her behavior leading to having a game taken in the second set, we'll never know.

I appreciate the fact that these athletes have strong emotions and there is no other sport (maybe soccer) where the athlete is totally exposed for all the world to see.  I'm sure ten times worse behavior and language goes on in an NFL game but unless a flag is tossed you never see it.

• Like 1

I was watching Fox News this Monday morning and was surprised to see the Serena meltdown was still a major topic of discussion.

They showed a clip of Serena in the after-match press conference and she said she was  "fighting for women's equality and women's rights."  The 5 second long Fox clip put things a bit out of context IMO as that was only a passing comment and not the crux of what she was saying about the incident.

I found the Youtube clip of the press conference and it helped me make up my mind on some things.  First of all Serena said she was not cheating, and I believe her.  I DO believe the coach was SENDING signals, they have video of that, but it doesn't mean Serena was RECEIVING or looking to be coached, if that makes any sense.  I like her sense of fair play that she expresses.

She is very intelligent and articulate and frankly, this whole thing sounds like a mis-understanding  starting with Serena's COACH who should not have been making hand signals which he clearly was, then extending to the chair umpire who might have used some discretion and the informal "don't do that" that officials of many other sports use.

I think Serena was caught up in the heat of battle and this unexpected flap with the chair umpire was more HIS screw up rather than hers.

Tune in at 9' to hear the "fighting for women's rights" comment.  I think listening to the entirety of the ten minute press conference puts things in better context as you can hear the sincerity and the honesty of Serena's answers.  She doesn't dodge or deflect a single question, which I find refreshing.

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I had to look that one up.

You apparently don't spend enough time on Youtube.  Social Justice Warriors are all the rage.

Look up steven crowder jigglypuff the triggering and 'Big Red' makes a compelling case for feminism'

on Youtube.  I won't post the video or even the link because they are too profane.  The Crowder video is funny as heck, I have to admit.

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

As little as possible.

You're kids are going to think you are SO uncool.

Here is jigglypuff, search the 'Tube for Protestors go crazy during The Triggering event at UMass.  Then you can discuss current social events with your kids again.  They'll think you are hip, you big hipster.

Yes, hipster is a thing.  :rolleyes:

1. The ref had an agenda in Serena's defense.

2. Osaka was going to take her down anyway.

3. Serena was Osaka's idol growing up.

4. Osaka's victory is un fulfilling on her battle with one of the best.

5. Serena should have stuck with her argument  instead of diluting it with the mumbo jumbo.

6. Serena almost has as much money as Jimmy Page

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 10:24 PM, wvu80 said:

You've been playing 3 months and are 4.0 level?

Finally, I received a link to a video showing the 4.0 finals in our area.  These guys are good.  They show more consistency than I do, but then again, that video seems to have edited out all the chump errors, so maybe not.  I think I can definitely hang in the local 4.0 "regular season" or whatever they call it.

6 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Finally, I received a link to a video showing the 4.0 finals in our area.  These guys are good.  They show more consistency than I do, but then again, that video seems to have edited out all the chump errors, so maybe not.  I think I can definitely hang in the local 4.0 "regular season" or whatever they call it.

They really don't look like they are hitting very hard or serving hard.  I agree with you on consistency as they keep the ball in play and dare their opponent to hit a winner.  Except for a couple of drop shots neither guy took chances. 

It looks like it might have been hot for that match, neither guy was moving very well.  Heat can sap your energy like a gasoline fire.

A player who keeps the ball constantly in play is called "the wall" because it's like hitting against the wall.  You can't beat the wall.  B)

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2018 at 7:47 PM, wvu80 said:

A player who keeps the ball constantly in play is called "the wall" because it's like hitting against the wall.  You can't beat the wall.  B)

That's my strong point.  I can cover the court as good as (really better than) anyone.  

I've been getting better over the last 2 months.  I think I can hang with the 4.5's, now.  My weak points are my left hand and the net.  I'm working on them.  My serve has improved a lot, but I wouldn't go so far as to credit it toward winning games.  I can ace a bit against some 3.0's and 3.5's, but anyone higher up can return my serves easily enough.

I have made the most improvement in terms of keeping better players deep and back away from the net.

Still, my favorite part of the game is covering the court.  I run like this guy (I just need some more work on offense/placement):

Glad you’re having fun with the game. It is a great game. It sounds like you are discovering the benefits of movement. Yes Rafa has power - but there are many players who hit with more power. His best trait is his defensive ability - based on his movement and anticipation. It’s no secret that the player who gets the ball over the net and in the court on the last point is the winner. 

I have played doubles in a couple of pro ams with retired pros. And the anticipation was the most eye opening aspect of their game. I played a pro am 30 years ago with Fred Stolle - a top Australian pro who in addition to many major doubles titles also won the singles title at the French. We played against the great Roy Emerson, Rod Laver and Ken Rosewall. As well as the really good Tom Okker ( US open finalist) Marty Riesen ( US pro champion). I still remember being side by side at the net with Fred and getting passed by Okker. My instincts told me the point was over. But low and behold, Fred Stolle who was standing aside me when Okker hit the shot was now at the back fence putting up a defensive lob - I couldn’t believe it! If you look at the the greats, they all were or are great defensive players and great movers. Borg, Laver, Mac, Emerson etc. There are the exceptions. Perhaps the greatest player who gets little recognition because he turned pro early and therefore did not compete at the majors until he was in his 40s was Pancho Gonzales. In conversations with Laver, Emerson , Stolle and more - Pancho was the best they played against. And he was all power. 

For pro men the average point is 5.5 hits. For  women I believe it is 4.5. Rafas  success is based on his ability to have his opponent hit one more ball. A successful model no matter what level you are playing. If you move as well as you say, a defensive game is the ticket to success. Way more points are won on errors than winners - even at the top of the game. 

If you are competing against 4.5 players after such a short time of playing you are obviously a superior athlete. In my leagues there have been many ex college players at the 4.5 level.

One of my regular hitting partners was a ranked junior in CA and when he got back into the game after raising kids etc, played 4.0 in USTA for two years before advancing to 4.5. To be fair he has played in the nationals at the 4.5 level. At that level - at least in NorCal - can consistanly hit forcing shots of both sides. Flat and powerful forehand and the ability to hit slice and top on his backhand. Powerful serve and biting volleys.  He played D1 college baseball as a shortstop and catcher so he is also a superior athlete. He is also the only 60 year I know that takes advantage of the tread warranty on his tennis shoes, So yes he still moves! 

Enjoy this great game!

• Like 1