SS or Tube Preamp

Jvitti1970

Welcome to the madness. That choice is always controversial depending on who you ask. I'd be a strong advocate of a good tube preamp as I like that "tuby" sound. Being a fan of acoustic music, I find the clinical approach SS brings to be like listening in a hospital rather than a nice room with leather chairs and such. Your mileage may vary. I run a Van Alstine Super PAS4i which can still be had, I believe, for less than a thousand and features an exceptional phono section if that interests you. The hunt is an adventure...enjoy!

Dave

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

OK let me ask a question about something I read once. I read a tube preamp is more important than the tube amp if looking for that tube sound. It kind of made sense and made me wonder since the preamp could change the sound also. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dtel said:

OK let me ask a question about something I read once. I read a tube preamp is more important than the tube amp if looking for that tube sound. It kind of made sense and made me wonder since the preamp could change the sound also. 

Low order harmonic distortion has ramifications in both tonal coloration and perceived loudness.  That can happen in either a line stage (pre-amp) or power amps. 

A tube line stage can be designed as squeaky clean as you wish, it's a pretty easy task, as is engineering in however much "tube sound" as desired (reflected in how much or how little nonlinear distortion the stage produces).  A tube amp, on the other hand, has a more challenging task, as the source impedance of the amps is typically well above zero and the loads they're connected to are all over he map, so there is impedance mediated linear distortion associated with the amp/speaker interface, on top of the non-linear distortion typical of tube amps.  Taking this even further, different topologies produce different harmonic spectra, e.g. pp designs inherently cancel out even order harmonics and produce predominantly odd harmonics, where single ended types preserve even and odd harmonics.  Line stages are almost exclusively single ended, but single ended amplifiers have severe practical limits (tend to be low powered, which was the whole reason for the development of pp approaches in the first place).  

For those reasons, I've always found the tube sound to be exemplified by the amp/speaker pairing to a higher degree than using tubes elsewhere upstream in the rig.  Either method is as valid as the other, it's just a matter of how dirty you like your martinis and which recipe will get you there.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 10/13/2018 at 10:30 AM, Ski Bum said:

For those reasons, I've always found the tube sound to be exemplified by the amp/speaker pairing to a higher degree than using tubes elsewhere upstream in the rig.  Either method is as valid as the other, it's just a matter of how dirty you like your martinis and which recipe will get you there.  

That's well reasoned also.  I think I might need to do some playing around.