Cigarbum's Klipschorns after finishing the cabinets

bkwa1959

I finished painting the cabinets of the Klipschorns I bought from Cigarbum,I am looking forward to setting them up this weekend and will find out how they sound. I could only load 1 picture.I plan on installing the huge JBL midranges on crossovers tomorrow.

IMG_1513.JPG

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, bkwa1959 said:

I could only load 1 picture.

This is a nice photo resizer and doesn't contain adware.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

+++

The Khorn bass bin look great!  That's a lot of work but I think you can enjoy those for years to come.  Can't wait to hear how the sound comes out.

• Like 1

I really like seeing this.  I'm sure Bob would too.  Some fond memories listening to those at different times at Bob's house.  I'm really glad they went to someone who is giving them TLC and will put them to good use.  Please post more pics as things progress.  Nice job!!  They look great.  Those backs make all the different in the world.  Wait till you hear them.

Mark, I am fighting the heavy jbl midranges now,they are so heavy that they caused cracks on the braces of the horns and I had to repair them and strengthen them to support the weight.I am afraid that once I install them they may crack the braces again,I am going to try and build a little stand or add a small piece of wood for the back of the midrange to sit on.I may wind up selling them and going with midrange that is not so heavy.

If the big JBL drivers are canabalizing the horns, then I would consider going with something lighter like you mention.  If you really play it loud the bass cabinets will vibrate as well.  So a lighter driver might not be a bad idea to protect the horns.  If  it comes to that, you should be able to sell those big JBLs pretty easily.  On the other hand, if you can build some reinforcement into the horns that may be all you need.

Mark,I plan on using something to support the back of the heavy magnet,that should keep the weight off the horn.I have 1 k-55m midrange if I had another one I would try them,but I would really like to be able to use the jbl's.My main reason for buying everything from Bob was to be able to play with the 2"horns I had no idea that the midrange speakers were that heavy.I had to remove them from the to

hat before loading them, I could see cracks in the frames and I knew that I did not remove them that they could have received more damage.I spent 3 days adding shims and construction adhesive and then adding brush on dampening to the horns.Bob just had the tweeters glued in,I added 2 small pieces of wood and then screwed them in.It has been a challenge to get to this point and I plan on moving them downstairs and see how they sound.The bass cabinets are so heavy I am having to wait for some help.

1 hour ago, bkwa1959 said:

I am getting ready to start trying to mount the midranges to the horns,if I can't build a suitable brace or stand for the midrange I may want to get the K55m from you.What other Klipschorns did you hear to compare with Bob's pair.

Ah man, over a time span of 46 years?    Don't know quite know how to respond other than to guess there were dozens.

Most with upgraded networks and expensive caps. Some with ESN boards, one with Altec 511B/902 drivers and even one with a Cobraflex horn,

but most were stock K55/K400 or K401 mids.

It sounds like you are concerned with harming the wooden horns.  All that needs to be done is to remove the load of the driver from the horn. 

Once you have the driver mounted just lean it back and measure from the bottom of the driver to wood below.  Most anything will work. Pieces of plywood. I even stacked up books to do that with JBL drivers 5lbs more than yours. 

No need to miss out on an outstanding system by overthinking the prob.

Not long ago forum member SETI built some stands for his monster JBL drivers.  Send him a PM.  I'll bet he would send you pic's.   

Regards,

tc

10 minutes ago, IB Slammin said:

Ah man, over a time span of 46 years?    Don't know quite know how to respond other than to guess there were dozens.

Most with upgraded networks and expensive caps. Some with ESN boards, one with Altec 511B/902 drivers and even one with a Cobraflex horn,

but most were stock K55/K400 or K401 mids.

It sounds like you are concerned with harming the wooden horns.  All that needs to be done is to remove the load of the driver from the horn. 

Once you have the driver mounted just lean it back and measure from the bottom of the driver to wood below.  Most anything will work. Pieces of plywood. I even stacked up books to do that with JBL drivers 5lbs more than yours. 

No need to miss out on an outstanding system by overthinking the prob.

Not long ago forum member SETI built some stands for his monster JBL drivers.  Send him a PM.  I'll bet he would send you pic's.   

Regards,

tc

10 minutes ago, IB Slammin said:

@seti

Ian, heads up, Terry mentioned your name... 😬

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

@seti

Ian, heads up, Terry mentioned your name... 😬

Oh I didn't take any pictures because they ain't purdy. It was a PITA... Your way will end up being better than mine but the JBL 2482 on a mid tractrix horn is a thing of beauty. I listen to them almost every day.