CF-3 info

rbtwsp

I have CF-3's, according to Klipsch they are stated as being "sensitivity  100db SPL  @ 1 Watt/Meter". I read somewhere this may be a little overstated actually being a bit lower.

The reason I ask is I looking for a new amp and if it is actually lower it would most likely rule SET.

Thanks Bob

There may be a couple of typos, but I think you are wondering if the CF-3's are not very efficient if that would rule out a SET tube amp.

They may not be 100 db efficient but even if 95 that is still more efficient than most which would be in the low 90's and under.  I don't know of many people running tube amps as I think high watts SS amps might be more common.  I run mine off 110 wpc AVR's and currently off an Onk 717 AVR used as a pre-pro with an Emotiva XPA-5 at 200 wpc.  My CF-4s sound better the more power you feed them.

I'd wait for a few more posts to see if anybody is running CF-3's with tubes and get some first-hand knowledge.

There are those who do say that the sensitivity on some the models could be inflated a bit.  Having said that, I used to use a tube integrated amp, that was 5 watt in SET mode and 15 watts, at a flick of a switch in pentode, on my Epic CF3's.  In either mode, the Epics sounded great and got plenty loud, though I usually kept it in 15 watt mode. So, I say go for it, fulfill that desire and have fun. When you are done with it, flip it and try something else. 

Hi Bob,

I am currently using Heresy IIs with some 2A3 SET amps ((welborne labs moondogs), just finished listening to Respighi Ancient Dances and Airs.../ Anton Doral.

Plenty ok for me and loud enough you couldn't carry on a conversation. Still, I would be inclined to drive the CF3s with a bit more power.

I'm in a 21x23 ft room.

Bruce

25 minutes ago, rbtwsp said:

I should have also said my listening room is about 12'x20' and I listen to classical especially large orchestral.

I am guessing <10w may be ok for chamber but would need >10w for the lager orchestral

I don't know how much tube power is needed for what sized orchestra but remember if you are running with 10 watts, doubling the power to 20 wpc only gives you another 3 db.

I'm glad some of the guys with CF-3 and tube experience have given you advice, I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

I am guessing I am border line for using a SET, if I find a inexpensive used piece I will try it or if there is dealer by(which I don't know of) that I can demo one otherwise I will most likely demo a Prima Luna integrated (I know there is a dealer by me) . The Prima Luna is interesting as you can switch between ultra-linear and triode mode, it is also auto bias

16 minutes ago, moray james said:

you can run your CF3 on a set amp if you want you may even be happy everyone is different in their expectations

Moray, does the tube amp change the flavor of the 2-way CF-3/4 sounds, the way it apparently does for the 3-way Heritage speakers?  Or is it as simple as the Epic series simply like higher power?

I'm not even sure I've even heard a tube amp setup before.  All I know is everybody I've ever heard that has tube amps swear by the characteristic sound.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, moray james said:

you can run your CF3 on a set amp if you want you may even be happy everyone is different in their expectations but the Klipsch rating is much under stated so far as efficiency goes. 

Moray,

Interesting, I have asked a few people about the CF's efficiency and most said they felt it was slightly overrated for instance CF-3 more like 95 as opposed to 100 as stated.

The other lines such as Heritage I believe may be as you say, but this is just what I have read.

WVU80,

Have  listen  to a tube amp, some people prefer the sound......I do, but everyone has different taste

Bob

• Like 1

I never ran an SET on my CF-3's but did run them with a 35 wpc Latino VTA ST-70 tube amp with 6550 tubes which sounded great.  Also ran them with a fully rebuilt Mcintosh MC250 at 50 wpc and also a really updated and modified Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 amp that was tested at 450 wpc.  Honestly, out of those three, the Carver sounded the best all the way around.  It was dead quiet at idle with absolutely no hiss and would play anything you wanted to play them with authority.  I even ran that Carver amp on my Belle clones and, at 104db sensitivity, it was still dead quiet and sounded great plus had a little more oomph in the (lackluster) low end.  But on the CF-3's, it was awesome.  My vote would lean towards more power on them for the headroom but they still ran fine with less power.

• Like 1

The Prima luna might give you the best of both worlds, plenty of power and a triode option as well,  plus they come with a remote.

I've also read some saying the true dB rating of the Epics, closer to 95dB than to 100, though I have not seen anyone verify that, one way or another.   I like the ways Class T amps sound on the Epics, one quality being a great control on the bass, which is prodigious and tight. 

1 hour ago, rbtwsp said:

I am guessing I am border line for using a SET, if I find a inexpensive used piece I will try it or if there is dealer by(which I don't know of) that I can demo one otherwise I will most likely demo a Prima Luna integrated (I know there is a dealer by me) . The Prima Luna is interesting as you can switch between ultra-linear and triode mode, it is also auto bias

I'm running a PrimaLuna Integrated  into my LS and it sounds great!  Still wating on my "out of stock" phono stage so I can hit the vinyl.  My room is approx 12-14 x 20 and the amp doesn't even waver...  Dead quiet at idle and can slam you into the wall in a heartbeat.  Clean, crisp, full soundstage w/CD's.  The poor man's Mc...  lolol  :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rbtwsp said:

Shiva,

What are class T amps?

Scroll down the page until you see the pics of the Nobsound amps displayed and the others as well.  Well, those little amps are Class D. 

This is what i have at home and use on my Epics, when the mood arises.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topping-TP32EX-Class-T-Amplifier-with-DAC-and-Remote-Control/322597788228?epid=14005596353&amp;hash=item4b1c539a44:g:qXwAAOSwxg9ZbQao

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 12:29 PM, wvu80 said:

Moray, does the tube amp change the flavor of the 2-way CF-3/4 sounds, the way it apparently does for the 3-way Heritage speakers?  Or is it as simple as the Epic series simply like higher power?

I'm not even sure I've even heard a tube amp setup before.  All I know is everybody I've ever heard that has tube amps swear by the characteristic sound.

I think amps sound pretty much the way they will no matter what you hook them up to assuming the load is reasonable I also think that good tube amps sound much like good SS amps. Sorry for the delay in responding this just fell off my radar.

• Like 1