LaScala rewire and speaker terminal upgrade

SonicSeeker

I picked up these used LaScalas a while back but had to wait until we moved to Texas before I could set them up and listen to them with my Line Magnetic amp and other 2 channel gear.

I finally had a chance to spend some serious listening time since moving.

I was having an issue with the sound being a little closed off and in the speakers instead of in front or outside of them.

The modifications I have performed are as follows.

I replaced the crossovers with some custom type AA Dean G built crossovers.

I replaced the tweeter and mid with the Crites supplied CT-120 and A-55G drivers.

I just rewired the insides, drivers to crossovers, with some very nice silver wire soldered to the terminals on the drivers with Mundorf silver gold solder.

Still a little off and compressed to me, good but not quite right.

Then, and I slapped myself for this, I realized I had not addressed what should have been ridiculously obvious, which was the speaker terminals.

My LaScalas have closed uppers with a terminal cup and the positive speaker wire also goes through a fuse.

I removed the old terminals put some nice red copper terminals in their place and removed the fuse from the signal path.

Needless to say the improvement was not at all subtle.

I think I have eliminated most all of the weak links in my system now and it sounds as good as I have hoped for, just beautiful.

I had mentioned this in my Line Magnetic thread but thought I should share this here.

20180908_095534_resized.jpg