314carpenter

14 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

Never heard back. Speakers relisted at a higher price than our agreed upon price. I was going to report to USAM but did not.

Based on your experience it sounds like you should report it.  I'm uncomfortable that you are reaching out with a legit offer and the Seller doesn't follow up.  That raises the red flags right away, especially that he wants money before you even see the speakers.

One the plus side is is a confirmed Paypal user and he does have one positive feedback comment on USAudiomart.com for a Luxman tuner he bought.

I have recorded one Forte III sale listed Jan 2018 at $2200.  I try to use confirmed sale prices but on that my notes are silent so I'm not sure what the deal was.  I don't have a location but I show the speakers as Cherry and one s/n as 0817004.  The Seller we are talking about here has Walnut Forte III's and he doesn't list s/n although he says they are consecutive.

3 hours ago, Skelt said:

These are on ebay for 2200 and the ad says they are for sale locally as well.

I didn't see them on Ebay under Consumer Electronics, Used.  Instead of being truly used, there are three under "open box" fs by dealers.  That's deceptive.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=forte+iii&_sacat=293&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_ItemCondition=4&rt=nc

Thanks @veloceleste,  I updated my notes thanks to your links.

That's odd my search under "Consumer Electronics" didn't find them, even though they are under the sub-section "Vintage Electronics."

I'm also convinced NOT a scam due to extensive Ebay feedback on the Seller.  He is asking $2200 on Ebay instead of $2000 on USAudiomart.com which is fairly standard to ask a little more on Ebay.

Since you sent him an offer, I wonder why he didn't follow up?  Could your email have gotten lost in his junk email box somehow?

+++

All the Open Box ads I saw on Ebay were in the neighborhood of $2600-2800.  I don't know true new pricing on F-3's but the $2K price seems reasonable. 

7 hours ago, Veaux said:

It could be a scam where a person just stole the pictures from the eBay listing.

1 hour ago, Arrow#422 said:

or hacked into a legit, 100% positive feedback account

Wow, and I thought I was skeptical!  :lol:

But the bottom line is, both you guys are right, and scams happen every day.  It pays to do your due diligence.

7 hours ago, veloceleste said:

we had a deal and I think he had second thought about price.  Also, his first email reply to my offer about I have a buyer but no money has changed hands yet, raised a small flag in my mind. My replies didn't get lost as there were several other emails responded to. He also didnt reply to an email I sent regarding the relisting at a higher price.

I think your guess is pretty good too.  As a Seller I'm all for getting top dollar for what I have, but there's a point that if you have a deal you have to honor that deal and not chase a few more bucks.

On 9/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, wvu80 said:

Based on your experience it sounds like you should report it.  I'm uncomfortable that you are reaching out with a legit offer and the Seller doesn't follow up.  That raises the red flags right away, especially that he wants money before you even see the speakers.

One the plus side is is a confirmed Paypal user and he does have one positive feedback comment on USAudiomart.com for a Luxman tuner he bought.

I have recorded one Forte III sale listed Jan 2018 at $2200.  I try to use confirmed sale prices but on that my notes are silent so I'm not sure what the deal was.  I don't have a location but I show the speakers as Cherry and one s/n as 0817004.  The Seller we are talking about here has Walnut Forte III's and he doesn't list s/n although he says they are consecutive.

For your records, I sold my Forte IIIs in June for 2300.00

• Thanks 1